Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody replaced the gear lever themselves? I am thinking of changing to the JCW one to match my steering wheel and want to know if it much of a job?
Pat

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got hold of 1 from EBay for £67.99 with postage. TX1911fan you say you have seen the instructions, Any chance you can give us a link for them or post them on here. It lloks like there may be a knack to unshipping the bottom of the boot.
Pat

·
Registered
844 Posts
Try looking on northamericanmotoring or total mini for instructions.

YouTube might also be worth a look.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Changed the gear lever this morning, very easy job.
1, Pull the selector ring up, It has 3 spring clips, not too far as there is a cable connected
2, Disconnect cable, I spent 5 minutes trying to work out where the locking clip was. In the end I just pulled it off with no damage.
3, Pull up on the gear knob, mine was not as tight as the horror stories you read about people smacking themselves in the face.
4, Turn the ring over and use a small flat blade screwdriver to ease the plastic boot ring out, it comes out of the bottom of the selector ring.
5, Mount new boot ring into selector ring, make sure all the plastic tags are home against the bottom of selector ring.
6, Place over gear lever and reconnect cable, make sure it is fully engaged. I check the operation of the switch before going any further.
7, line up the gear knob on the shaft and engage, then give it a tap with the your palm, you will feel when it is fully home.
8, Place selector ring back in place and push to engage clips.

I spent less than 10 minutes doing the change, if doing it again it would only take 5.

Pat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts