Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, forgive me if so. Considering we know the JCW shares its 2.0 mill with the 225i Active Tourer its safe to assume that JCW will kick out a healthy 231 hp.

As for realease, Mini is planning to realease the F56 JCW over the intertubes in December 2014 which means a production version will show at NAIS in January 2015 and production will spool up in March with the first JCW's hitting showrooms in April 2015 for Europe and May 2015 for NA...

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I am hoping it might be enough to tempt me back into a MINI. I loved my FJCW was loads of fun, but needed just a bit more performance for me.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Even with its horsepower deficit in relation to the most recent 300hp hatches, I reckon the new JCW will be an absolute stormer. Take the new Golf R as a casing point: 296bhp, 280Ib ft and 4WD. Autocar have just tested this and their results are impressive: 0-60mph in 4.8, 0-100mph in 12.0 and 30-70mph in 4.3s. This is clearly a very quick car. However if you check the in-gear acceleration times in the lower to medium engine speed range then surprisingly it doesn't leave the stock F56 Cooper S for dead: 20-40mph in 2nd is 2.1s in the Golf and 2.0s in the MCS; 30-50mph in 2nd is 2.0s in the Golf and 2.2s in the MCS. Obviously the JCW won't match the quarter mile times of some of these competing machines but in the real world between corners it should be pretty quick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FJCW power figures

Knowing BMW/MINI the hp figures are usually very conservative. My FJCW 2011 was rated at 208 hp, like all the rest of the FJCW's, but seat of the pants, playing around with other cars, I always felt that it was at least 215+ hp. My current mistake/ride is a 2013 Roadster S with the JCW package (love the Roadster part) It's rated at 181 hp, and to me it feels, again, a lot stronger, like close to 200. It's down in torque, compared to my JCW, but it also has an automatic transmission. That's the mistake part and why I will definitely be looking at the 2015 JCW.

Now they're going to advertise the new FJCW 56 at 231hp. I'm just guessing, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that it'll feel more in the 245+ range, and plus the weight is still not that far off the R56 JCW's weight, it should give a nice feel. These are just my opinions/guesses, so take it with a grain of salt.

As for comparing the Mini S and JCW with the VW GTI and R, they maybe competitors to us, but in reality they aren't. Golf is huge, you complain about Mini growing, well Mini can't hold a candle to the increase in size that VW has done with the Golf/Rabbit. 1.5' longer, plus 400lbs+ more in weight? Also these fantastic times that GTI and R are suppose to have, bet dollars to donuts again, that these are done with the dc automatic which will be at least .5 second faster on driver ability. Anyway, just some thoughts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts