Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after having an R56 S for 7 years than drank a ltr of expensive castrol oil about every tank of petrol I'm happy with the F56 JCW use but 100% still on electronic level check after 3k miles makes me :)
Or should I be concerned as it does loads of cold engine running or is it just I'm not using it hard enough?
What have others noticed with electronic oil Check could you post up your miles and what it is reading as I'm thinking it's not accurate or drops in 5's or 10's % possibly.
Maybe it's because it's a proper BMW engine this time as all our BMW's hardly used a drop of oil?
How much oil does it hold anyway in total?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Did about 1100km of mixed condition driving in cold weather since getting my JCW last month and am still at 100% :)

Reactions: derekh929

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I found you can't even check the oil unless the car has been driven for about 30 minutes (per the manual). I can't check oil by just checking upon warmup in the garage. Is this the case with everyone? I miss the dipstick personally! ;-(

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
We had no issues with oil consumption with the R56 JCW and to-date none with the F56 JCW. Although I did change the oil and filter at 2,000 miles just to check things out and had no appreciable metal or foreign matter in the spent oil. I am not, nor will I become a fan of the e-dipstick! I sort of view it like idiot lights, a worthless bit of electronics. Trust but verify!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys thats a relief , has anyone got details of the amount of oil to put in if say use 5% on the check? as nothing worse that over filling , when the time comes

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
If you read the manual it tells you what empty to full takes so you can work it out.I think most of us are finding and generally is the case that most decent modern engines use very little oil. Can't say the same for the vw group !

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Mine is still showing 100% after 5k miles, and after it warms up it rarely gets driven slowly (unless the Mrs is driving!)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Agree with others - my JCW has Zero discernible oil consumption.

Contrast that with the Mercedes GL350 Bluetec which consumes around a litre every 5,000 km

I agree with Jelster - never drive a JCW slowly as it is only designed to go go go!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts