Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I’m wondering if I could get a couple of opinions. I’m currently less than 24 hours away from purchasing a brand new Mini. Only problem? I’m not sure whether going for the JCW over the Cooper S is worth it. They’ve both got the exact same specs, pricing is affordable but just not sure if it’s worth it. Some help would be great!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Always go for the JCW if you can. Both are brilliant, but you will regret it if you don't :). The extra power is great, plus the styling tweaks and exclusive JCW colours.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi all,
I’m wondering if I could get a couple of opinions. I’m currently less than 24 hours away from purchasing a brand new Mini. Only problem? I’m not sure whether going for the JCW over the Cooper S is worth it. They’ve both got the exact same specs, pricing is affordable but just not sure if it’s worth it. Some help would be great!
Thanks
Had both an F56 JCW and Cooper S.
Cooper S every time for me, in the real world the performance is more than adequate and you the cash difference buy some lovely options.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I test drove both before ordering the JCW. The S is without doubt a nice car. However, for me, it was a bit like a young wannabe who, whilst you can dress it to look like the more capable JCW, it's still got a squeaky voice by comparison and just seems to try a little too hard. If the cost difference isn't an issue, why would you settle for 'nearly, but not quite'?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I worked for MINI and was lucky enough a few years ago to go on a training day at a track and we drove a Cooper S and then a JCW albeit on track, not a road and I was shocked at how much better the JCW was, the difference in stats on paper don’t do it justice! I also ordered a MINI recently and initially went with a Cooper S initially purely for financial reasons but on a PCP with a higher residual the JCW wasn’t that much more so I went with it!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was quite happy to go with a Cooper S instead of the JCW, but they’ve reduced the power of the S now so I’d be more tempted to pay the extra.

·
Registered
39 Posts
All I can say is that I’ve had my new Cooper S Sport now for a few weeks and it’s been near impossible on roads to give it any welly due to traffic levels but it’s effortless and beautiful to drive and the engine note when I’m able to accelerate is sounding better and better…I can only imagine the JCW is even more wonderful! 😊

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you! Ordered rebel green, nav plus and comfort plus with harmon kardon, the intelligent suspension and pano roof!
Very excited but due end of July 😳😂

·
Registered
133 Posts
S vs JCW isn't just stats

Engine is different (lower compression), of course power/torque
Extra cooling
Brembo brakes (specific calibers and discs)
All the JCW aero is standard
Sport suspension (if you picked it....which I think you didn't)

So yeah, not just a few stats and yeah mate, good choice ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks
I would buy a new Toyota Twin Turb Supra! I will never buy another Mini.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was quite happy to go with a Cooper S instead of the JCW, but they’ve reduced the power of the S now so I’d be more tempted to pay the extra.
No reduced power.
Whilst the bhp is lower on the new Cooper S (178 vs 192) the performance of the models is the same.
From Mini:
"The reduced bhp is due to going from European EU6 to EU6-RDE2 compliance. However,
a boost function on the engine mapping has now been added to the MINI Cooper S . This means that a temporary increase in power is available for short periods of time. Therefore the drivability remains the same. And it is due to this that the acceleration times and torque figures remain unchanged."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts