Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - took the JCW out for a run into the city today.

Noticed that a few mins after opening the valve - when in stop start traffic, the valve would close by itself.

Reading on another forum some suggest this may be caused by interference of some kind ??

Anyone else experienced this or know what the issue may be ?

Cheers
FC

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
There are considerable posts and threads on this forum and others concerning this issue and as far as I have been able to determine mini has not really addressed the issue. I have not had an issue with mine and after 12,000 miles and after 7 months it is still performing flawlessly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thinking about it, every so often it does close randomly on mine. Not very often and no logic or pattern to it. Will watch it more carefully now I know there maybe an issue. Doesn't bother me at the moment to be honest.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine started to close on its own last week. Sometimes would only stay open for 30 seconds. It's new so I figured the battery on the fob was good.

I turned off Bluetooth on the head unit though and for 2 days it's been perfect. Obviously it's not ideal as I can no longer use phone for calls etc. This morning I turned it back on, moved the fob to the rear passenger cup holder. I'm hoping that moving it nearer the exhaust controller thingy and moving it away from the head unit might just work. It was fine for the 20 min journey to work but I'll keep it like that for a few days and report back.

It's still not ideal though as having the fob in the rear cup holder makes it difficult to access.

Dave

·
Registered
615 Posts
Mine started to close on its own last week. Sometimes would only stay open for 30 seconds. It's new so I figured the battery on the fob was good.

I turned off Bluetooth on the head unit though and for 2 days it's been perfect. Obviously it's not ideal as I can no longer use phone for calls etc. This morning I turned it back on, moved the fob to the rear passenger cup holder. I'm hoping that moving it nearer the exhaust controller thingy and moving it away from the head unit might just work. It was fine for the 20 min journey to work but I'll keep it like that for a few days and report back.

It's still not ideal though as having the fob in the rear cup holder makes it difficult to access.

Dave
I would personally take it to the dealer to get resolved. I have not had to disable Bluetooth on my phone to use it...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would personally take it to the dealer to get resolved. I have not had to disable Bluetooth on my phone to use it...
Had bluetooth turned on tonight on way home and the flap closed by itself 3 times in 5 minutes. Turned bluetooth off in the cars settings and it stayed open for the rest of the 20 min journey so I'm confident thats what it is.

I'd take it to the dealer that fitted it, unfortunately its a 2 1/2 hour drive away, dunno if a local dealer will look at it, the dealer that supplied the car was useless anyway.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
We have not experienced any issues with ours, but I don't use bluetooth for anything else in the mini and after reading through this thread again it seems likely that is an issue. I keep mine in a closed cell foam holder inside the driver side door pocket, discreet, easy to reach and it does not take up space in the cup holders. Mini should address this issue as it is hurting sales and their reputation. An expensive exhaust system should function as advertised. I do love it and use it often.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'd take it to the dealer that fitted it, unfortunately its a 2 1/2 hour drive away, dunno if a local dealer will look at it, the dealer that supplied the car was useless anyway.
I beleive that the warranty on official Mini accessories is covered by any Mini dealer as long as you have proof of purchase.

If I recall, my dealer mentioned that the JCW kits (Tuning Kit and Brake Kit in my case) is registered to the chassis number after it has been installed so a different dealer should still pick up the info from central database that it's been purchased by official Mini channels and installed/fitted by trained Mini technicians

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well the flap closed on its own 3 times in 20 minutes tonight and that was with bluetooth turned off as well.

I beleive that the warranty on official Mini accessories is covered by any Mini dealer as long as you have proof of purchase.

If I recall, my dealer mentioned that the JCW kits (Tuning Kit and Brake Kit in my case) is registered to the chassis number after it has been installed so a different dealer should still pick up the info from central database that it's been purchased by official Mini channels and installed/fitted by trained Mini technicians
I'll have to ask, I bought the exhaust from Costwold Mini on here, payed via PayPal so no proper receipt as such but they did fit it. I guess i'd better speak to them first, unfortunate its a 2 1/2 hour drive away so i can't really keep going back and forth.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We have not experienced any issues with ours, but I don't use bluetooth for anything else in the mini and after reading through this thread again it seems likely that is an issue. I keep mine in a closed cell foam holder inside the driver side door pocket, discreet, easy to reach and it does not take up space in the cup holders. Mini should address this issue as it is hurting sales and their reputation. An expensive exhaust system should function as advertised. I do love it and use it often.
I keep mine in the same spot, also don't use BT for anything else, and have had the same experience.

--Matt

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
As much as this issue has occurred MINI/BMW should address the issue. I really like the bluetooth option and find it useful. I don't recall seeing any posts where anyone experiencing this issue returned to the dealership for a solution and had it resolved.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As much as this issue has occurred MINI/BMW should address the issue. I really like the bluetooth option and find it useful. I don't recall seeing any posts where anyone experiencing this issue returned to the dealership for a solution and had it resolved.
Once I get back home (am travelling for work) I'll make an appointment with the dealer after my first 1,000km for an oil change (just something I want to do) and have a look at the Pro exhaust and BT unit.

Will report back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I fitted the exhaust 2 weeks ago. My track mode turns off early on in journeys when I am immediately joining frequently stopping traffic. If the road is clear to begin with it stays in track mode for the whole journey. Maybe stopping in traffic frequently so soon after starting track mode is the answer?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Hi, I fitted the exhaust 2 weeks ago. My track mode turns off early on in journeys when I am immediately joining frequently stopping traffic. If the road is clear to begin with it stays in track mode for the whole journey. Maybe stopping in traffic frequently so soon after starting track mode is the answer?
I have had no issues in traffic, stop and go driving, speeding up and slowing down in traffic and twisties. It has been flawless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
think ill just have to live with it, the mini dealer who fitted my JCW pro exhaust was hopeless, really struggled to get it working, I really don't want them to touch it again.
when track mode is selected, the sound is stunning, especially when Sport driving mode is selected

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.