Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a F56 JCW Manual on order and i'm considering the JCW pro exhaust. All the youtube videos i see with that exhaust seem to be automatics. Not i know with the manual transmission i'm not going to get the upshift farts (i'm already used to those on my auto m135i with MPE) but how does the manual sound in comparison?

Do it take it i'll still get all the pops and bangs on the overrun etc? if it doesnt sound nearly as good i might just leave it

Dave

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I've got a F56 JCW Manual on order and i'm considering the JCW pro exhaust. All the youtube videos i see with that exhaust seem to be automatics. Not i know with the manual transmission i'm not going to get the upshift farts (i'm already used to those on my auto m135i with MPE) but how does the manual sound in comparison?

Do it take it i'll still get all the pops and bangs on the overrun etc? if it doesnt sound nearly as good i might just leave it

Dave
Dependent upon where you are and what the laws regarding noise are, you might want to consider one of the aftermarket exhausts, AWE is very popular and there are several other brands as well and all offer slightly different systems and sounds. I have the automatic and the JCW PRO exhaust and it is exhilarating plus it adds 10 horsepower and 12 FT LBS of torque.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sounds the same... I personally would see if you like the std. Exhaust first before hand as you may be mire than happy with it.

I got mine on my S as the std. S exhaust doesnt sound as sporty as I would like plus tuning lit added a few bhp.

The pro exhaust sounds better with flap closed than std. S exhaust where as i have heard that the jcw std. Exhaust is louder than pro exhaust with flap closed.

The flap open mode is quite loud and the pops and bangs really do draw attention which can be a bit much in my opinion but thats just me. I do enjoy it in the open road thoughl...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I have a manual with the JCW Pro Kit and am very happy with it. No shortage of bangs, pops, and burbles. I like having the option of closing the flap when in close proximity to a police car or any situation where you don't want to draw attention to yourself. That being said, I run with it open 99.9% of the time. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers all, I'm just waiting on the dealer to get back to me with a price, depending on what he comes back with I might leave it for now anyway.

Once I've got the car I can see how i like it standard and if i do fancy a change then I can at least have a shop around to see if i can save a few £££.

I fitted the MPE on the M135i myself but i'm no genius with the tools and the JCW looks a little bit more involved, i take it that it is?

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you're considering one then you'll probably get the best deal when haggled into the cars purchase price as the cheapest quote I've had is £1150 to fit as a later part. I've got a manual JCW and been toying with getting the PRO exhaust since hearing one but as the miles increase (3000 now) the standard JCW exhaust is sounding really nice, it makes a good deep sound and in sport mode the pops and bangs on over run are brilliant! It's obviously not as impressive as the PRO system but there's no way a £1000+ price difference between them. I have found the official fitting instructions online and it looks fiddly due to the wiring chasing down the inside of the car from the boot to the glovebox fuse box but otherwise ramps and sockets should do it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I posted up a link on ebay a few weeks back where a dealer advertised the pro exhaust for £800. Not sure if still available though

·
Registered
303 Posts
£2460 pahahahahaha what a joke, they've been on offer direct from MINI accessories since March for £1300 chrome or £1500 carbon so available at any dealer!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
£2460 pahahahahaha what a joke, they've been on offer direct from MINI accessories since March for £1300 chrome or £1500 carbon so available at any dealer!!
Yeah I know, I've already sent the dealer a link to the offer. I'm waiting for a reply.

To be honest I'm getting pretty pissed off with this dealer. Had all sorts of trouble just to get them to put bonnet stripes on.

If I hadn't already put a deposit down id be cancelling and going elsewhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dealer just got back to me with a price........£2050+Vat.

I think I'll pass on that one lol
Which dealer is that? Cooper Durham fitted mine before the car was delivered to me for a LOT less than that!!

If you are used to a M135i with the MPE then I'd say you will want the PRO exhaust fitting. I had an M135i with MPE fitted too, and it was a no brainer for me to get the PRO exhaust fitted to my Cooper S.

Because of the active flap etc ... you can choose from anything between a little louder than standard, to a full on Rice Crispy riot.

The other attraction of the PRO kit is the increase in power too which is really nice.

Not sure if `normal' Cooper S' are the same, but I hear quite a lot of wastegate flutter on mine. is this also a by product of the PRO kit? or are all Cooper S' the same?

Reactions: dgswick

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealer just got back to me with a price........£2050+Vat.

I think I'll pass on that one lol
Which dealer is that? Cooper Durham fitted mine before the car was delivered to me for a LOT less than that!!

If you are used to a M135i with the MPE then I'd say you will want the PRO exhaust fitting. I had an M135i with MPE fitted too, and it was a no brainer for me to get the PRO exhaust fitted to my Cooper S.

Because of the active flap etc ... you can choose from anything between a little louder than standard, to a full on Rice Crispy riot.

The other attraction of the PRO kit is the increase in power too which is really nice.

Not sure if `normal' Cooper S' are the same, but I hear quite a lot of wastegate flutter on mine. is this also a by product of the PRO kit? or are all Cooper S' the same?

It's Williams at Rochdale. I used Williams Manchester for the BMW and they were great.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I got a couple of hundred knocked off from the £1500incl. VAT price - £1250 if I recall (carbon tips) with the new car order alongside general haggling for TLC, lowest PCP etc. The demo car had it and I was sold within 100yds of exiting the dealership on the test drive.

As Buz says above, £1500 seems to be a permanent deal (I think they dress it up as free fitting if I recall, normally £2050), so I was cool with another couple of hundred off that. At the time it wasn't the £1250, it was the monthly PCP target figure I was working towards so it was wrapped up in that.

Also, then sold the original exhaust for £90 which using man-maths took about another £1000 off that and made it wholly justifiable to the rest of the family!

Back to the original question on Manual + Exhaust, yes, once warm I get three distinct pops on every up change... POP, Pop, pop if you get what I mean. And backing off in 3rd at 4-5k rpm is off this planet, then down into 2nd with the auto throttle blipping, have never heard a road going 4-pot sound quite so mad, more RS200 rally car than Mini.

I (sadly) hunt out bridges / underpasses now to drive under as my new hobby. Heard somewhere there is an 'underground' car club in Central London who meet and potter around early AM and do this. Not in rural Worcestershire though!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a couple of hundred knocked off from the £1500incl. VAT price - £1250 if I recall (carbon tips) with the new car order alongside general haggling for TLC, lowest PCP etc. The demo car had it and I was sold within 100yds of exiting the dealership on the test drive.

As Buz says above, £1500 seems to be a permanent deal (I think they dress it up as free fitting if I recall, normally £2050), so I was cool with another couple of hundred off that. At the time it wasn't the £1250, it was the monthly PCP target figure I was working towards so it was wrapped up in that.

Also, then sold the original exhaust for £90 which using man-maths took about another £1000 off that and made it wholly justifiable to the rest of the family!

Back to the original question on Manual + Exhaust, yes, once warm I get three distinct pops on every up change... POP, Pop, pop if you get what I mean. And backing off in 3rd at 4-5k rpm is off this planet, then down into 2nd with the auto throttle blipping, have never heard a road going 4-pot sound quite so mad, more RS200 rally car than Mini.

I (sadly) hunt out bridges / underpasses now to drive under as my new hobby. Heard somewhere there is an 'underground' car club in Central London who meet and potter around early AM and do this. Not in rural Worcestershire though!
Well I've emailed the dealer back to find out why he wants nearly £1000 more for the exhaust than what's being advertised. He hasn't bothered to reply so I'm now wondering what to do. To be honest I'm leaning towards telling them to forget the whole thing and losing my £500 on principal.

I could always go to another dealer then and try for a better deal which would offset the £500 lost.

I've never cancelled a car order before though, I'm not sure whether they'll try and better the deal and keep me as a customer or be happy they've got £500 for nothing. Suppose that might depend on whether the cars in production or not.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I read that if you signed up to a finance agreement you can cancel and get deposit back.

I did that once and dealer threatened to keep my deposit but I showed him an article relating to my rights and agreed to refund me. Sorry dont have the link no more as someone told me about it.

Does sound like you're not getting the best aftercare

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I read that if you signed up to a finance agreement you can cancel and get deposit back.

I did that once and dealer threatened to keep my deposit but I showed him an article relating to my rights and agreed to refund me. Sorry dont have the link no more as someone told me about it.

Does sound like you're not getting the best aftercare

I've had a quick look around the net and from what I've seen so far it doesn't look likely I'll get anything back, maybe more chance if I cancel sooner rather than later. As far as I know the car isn't in production yet.

Thing is I don't want to come across as a fussy customer but I just have the feeling the dealer is taking the mickey a bit. I've had over a dozen new cars in my time and can honestly say I've never had anything but great experiences.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Screw 'em! They're supposed to be making you happy not the other way around. Tell them you want to cancel the order and want a refund. If they give you a hard time take it to the next level. They need to realize that they're not the only Mini dealer around.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well I've emailed the dealer back to find out why he wants nearly £1000 more for the exhaust than what's being advertised. He hasn't bothered to reply so I'm now wondering what to do. To be honest I'm leaning towards telling them to forget the whole thing and losing my £500 on principal.

I could always go to another dealer then and try for a better deal which would offset the £500 lost.

I've never cancelled a car order before though, I'm not sure whether they'll try and better the deal and keep me as a customer or be happy they've got £500 for nothing. Suppose that might depend on whether the cars in production or not.
Dont loose heart mate, most are really really good. If it was me, I'd be quite grumpy by now (more than normal), and I'd go to another dealer and either i) be honest and tell them whats happened and you dont want to deal with your current dealer, what are my options or ii) on the basis your now talking an end of september car - end of financial Q3 for most, so they'll want to bag orders, go in with a 'I want it october but for the right deal I might take it a few weeks earlier'. You should be able to recoup your £500 and get a deal on the exhaust.

If you cant resolve and decide to get a better deal, pretty sure the guys and gals on here will help out. JCW's are great cars, nothing else like them really, so hang on in there!

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I don't know about yours as my dealer sort of reminded me of the NSA, they want lots of information, but don't share anything with you! I think most do monitor this list as I was carping about mine and silence since I purchased the car. I did contact them about the JCW PRO exhaust and they quoted me a price far North of the Arctic Circle, $3,000 + US. I found an authorized BMW independent serviced dealer and had it installed for less than $2,000 US. It pays to shop around and I will next time and play them off one against the other.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've had a quick look around the net and from what I've seen so far it doesn't look likely I'll get anything back, maybe more chance if I cancel sooner rather than later. As far as I know the car isn't in production yet.

Thing is I don't want to come across as a fussy customer but I just have the feeling the dealer is taking the mickey a bit. I've had over a dozen new cars in my time and can honestly say I've never had anything but great experiences.
This is the link I was given. Might have changed slightly but think its similar

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga

1 - 20 of 38 Posts