Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Have been thinking of this dealer fit offer for a while. A couple of question though. Does the upgrade means that the increase in horsepower is permanent and not only when the exhaust flap is opened? I rang my local mini dealer and the guy doesn't seem to know the answer!
Has anyone here done this from their Cooper S? (not the Challenge 210)
In addition to this, I rang my insurer to find out the price if I decided to do this. Shock horror as they quoted a price which is more than double what I'm currently paying. Any recommendation of insurer for this kind of upgrade?
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have had it done to my Cooper S. The official increase is 10%, which is permanently there. Owners have had them on the rolling road and they produce more than quoted, and even more when the exhaust is open. The 10% quoted figure makes insurance simple, my mainstream insurer increased my premium based on the 10% chip increase and performance exhaust an extra £18 per year, but age and location has a lot to do with this. For reference my annual premium is now under £350 fully comp per year.

If you can get your insurance sorted, its well worth it. My car was fun to drive before, now its elevated to a new level. I used to think the only way to get the feeling I have driving my Cooper S was driving special cars like my Caterham 7, but this little hatch make me smile just the same. I would do it again in a heart beat.

I love the bit when the dealer makes you sign to say you won't use "The Button" on the road, and they roll their eyes, as you press The Button leaving the service bay.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks Blat7Chris. When I rang my insurer earlier, he asked what type of modification it is.

So, is it an engine remap or exhaust modification?
It's actually both hence why it can be costly...

Sometimes you will be better off getting a new quote (moneysupermarket, confused.com etc..) as if you are renewing your policy and see what prices come back and if reasonable, cancel your exsisting policy (usually small admin charge) and you will get refunded pro-rata.

Been thinking about the mod myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Transforms the car. My MCS never quite felt as much fun as my R56 MCS until I got the tuning kit. Now it's every bit as fun. The exhaust is epic (on the right road) but the increased torque is most welcome. In Sport mode, flap open, 3rd gear - the thing really shifts.

One word of warning though. It does emphasise just how awful the brakes are

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Just on the insurance bit...

I had a R55 MCS to which I was going to get a remap, brake upgrade and a few other bits, insurance quote was a biggish hike, so brought a R55 JCW, basically everything I wanted on the S and some and guess what, insurance had no increase :)

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
That's a good point that 'Davyboy' made, you need to consider the length of time you will own the car, multiply the increase in insurance due to the performance mod and weigh that up against buying a JCW or a vehicle with those performance gains already built in as standard. I know this mod slightly different to stock JCW but you get my drift.
Also need to take into consideration is the re-sale or a JCW stock vs an enhanced Cooper S.

Another thing is to let the insurance know that this is a manufacturer endorsed and fitted mod, not an after market one, this may have an impact on the insurance premium.

·
Registered
615 Posts
From a performance perpective, I agree that the JCW model is a wiser purchase without much insurance premium over the S but it's worth noting that if it's the dramatic sound you are after from the JCW Pro exhaust, you would be in a similar position with the JCW model where it would be classified as a modification and premiums could possibly rise dramatically but normally if you shop around, it's usually a huge amount..

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
From a performance perpective, I agree that the JCW model is a wiser purchase without much insurance premium over the S but it's worth noting that if it's the dramatic sound you are after from the JCW Pro exhaust, you would be in a similar position with the JCW model where it would be classified as a modification and premiums could possibly rise dramatically but normally if you shop around, it's usually a huge amount..
If you order it from the factory with the pro exhaust installed is it still considered a modification? Geez, governments are expensive, particularly if they are in bed with the insurance companies!

·
Registered
615 Posts
If you order it from the factory with the pro exhaust installed is it still considered a modification? Geez, governments are expensive, particularly if they are in bed with the insurance companies!
Not sure if different markets have different factory options but the JCW Pro exhaust for the JCW and the JCW Tuning kit are not avaiable as a factory option in the UK

·
Registered
768 Posts
You are able to order the Pro Exhaust with your car but it is not installed at the factory. I believe it is installed that the VDC or the dealership.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm looking for more power but have to say the sound is a bonus. Perhaps I should consider a jcw? Thing is, my cooper s comes with most options ticked.
I bought my cooper s last august. I put in the detail in the free valuation website and it came up with half the amount of what I paid for the car?!!! Really?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm looking for more power but have to say the sound is a bonus. Perhaps I should consider a jcw? Thing is, my cooper s comes with most options ticked.
I bought my cooper s last august. I put in the detail in the free valuation website and it came up with half the amount of what I paid for the car?!!! Really?
Would it be a "we rip you off for any car" type web site. If it is then the value given would assume a base Cooper S, no options. That said depreciation in the first year is always at its highest. Think of it this way, a dealer has to sell the car less than a discounted new car would cost, and they will have a 2-3,000 profit margin under that price, it should give you the explanations for the value after the first year.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not sure if different markets have different factory options but the JCW Pro exhaust for the JCW and the JCW Tuning kit are not avaiable as a factory option in the UK
Not possible at the market where I'm located either.

When I ordered my kit, the sales guy actually said that they had delivered a new F56 just on previous day where the kit had been installed by them before the car was delivered to the customer. And that installation was separately invoiced from the customer. He that it's the only way they can do it and specifically stated that 'it's a shame it's not possible to have it as a factory option, since it would be an easy sell to lot of buyers'.

Over here the tuning kit installations does not have an effect on insurance prices as long as the performance improvement does not exceed 10%. I believe the same applies to a lot of other markets as well. That's why many of the official manufacturer kits specify 10% improvements, no matter what the actual power increase is...
>:D

·
Registered
615 Posts
Does this JCW kit have much impact on the mpg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ws getting around 35 mpg before but now getting around 31 mpg but I think I've driving it harder (with flap open :D) so not a fair comparison perhaps?

I guess 10% increase in power = 10% decrease in mpg seems a fair estimation

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh well my car is at the dealer now and the parts are supposed to arrive tomorrow, I am kinda pissed at the dealer because they told me the car was going to be ready today and now they came up with the excuse the delivery of the parts take a few days blah blah and by tomorrow the parts should arrive

·
Registered
615 Posts
Im suprised they didn't tell you in advance that the parts have not arrived... Poor customer service if you ask me...

If its any consultation, you will be enjoying the tuning kit tomorrow:)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.