Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening,

Just pondering on spending £1500-£2000 on the JCW pro upgrade kit on my 65reg cooper s or wait a few months to gain more from spending £4-5,000 on the complete car, benefitting a power increase and the extras associated with the works edition ?

My dealer has also informed me of a very limited edition "works" due out in the next few months, only 50 to be made and "special" additions direct from Oxford works technical department.......? Could be interesting:nerd:

Anyone got any further info?

Umm decisions :confused::confused:

· Registered
20 Posts
Tricky. I had the same dilemma around Christmas. I opted for the JCW Pro tuning kit on the basis that my MCS has a very high spec and an equivalent JCW would be £30k. I might not miss HK, HUD, full leather, pan roof, heated seats/windscreen, Media XL, adaptive dampers, etc if I'd not had them but, when most of my driving is in the city, I didn't fancy the compromise. The opportunities to drive hard are too limited for me to justify the JCW.

Looking back, I'm pleased with my decision. The tuning kit changes the car's character enough for it to feel like a step up, the exhaust is great fun and the power gain noticeable. You will be stuck with the appalling brakes though

· Registered
2,212 Posts
I was in a similar situation when I had a R55 Cooper S, do I spend money on remap, brakes, suspension etc or just buy a R55 JCW?

The JCW won and am I glad I did, the car had a stronger engine as standard, better brakes etc. also as it was a standard car there was no insurance increase, I knew modding the S would lead to higher insurance....

· Registered
1,896 Posts
Test drive both if you have the opportunity and make an informed decision. I did that with the R series and went with the JCW, when I went for the F I didn't even test drive the S, the new JCW is an awesome automobile and too much fun to be street legal!

· Registered
386 Posts
It's not so much the power difference as the other parts that make a JCW - extra cooling, reinforced internals, bigger brakes, etc. All-in-all, the JCW has much more capacity for upgrade

Reactions: Jonathan and KYDan

· Registered
2,212 Posts
I was in a similar situation when I had a R55 Cooper S, do I spend money on remap, brakes, suspension etc or just buy a R55 JCW?

The JCW won and am I glad I did, the car had a stronger engine as standard, better brakes etc. also as it was a standard car there was no insurance increase, I knew modding the S would lead to higher insurance....
It's not so much the power difference as the other parts that make a JCW - extra cooling, reinforced internals, bigger brakes, etc. All-in-all, the JCW has much more capacity for upgrade
Exactly the reason I went for the R55 JCW :)

· Registered
48 Posts
My 2015 Cooper s is fast enough for my needs and seems to be more economical that my old R56 1.6 Cooper s, I could of bought the JCW but decided I wanted the looks over the power so just opted for the body kit/wheels etc. and a load of extras such as After having a HK in a previous Cooper s I really missed it in my R56 so there was no doubt I was getting it in this one also the media XL package which I don't regret getting. I did get a few extra bits since getting my car but only cosmetic such as the JCW grille, Tail Pipe trim, Side indicators and a boot badge that goes on the opposite side (like the challenge 210). When you get the bodykit, wheels, steering wheel etc they have JCW badges on them anyway so I'm not trying to pretend it's something it's not as it's a Cooper s and I love it!.
The exhaust does sound nice though but not something I can see me getting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.