Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,not been on the forum for a good 6 months. Has anyone any advice on the rear diffuser pro kit. I have got the chance to buy one for £350 with Pdc and thinking of fitting the diffuser myself,but would like to know how easy/difficult it is to fit? Or should I bother at all?. I understand that the diffuser has to be partly bonded on? Been trying to find a video of it being fitted but without success. Owned the car nearly 7 months now and still love driving it. Covered 3,000 miles. Any comments about the diffuser much appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm sorry for my ignorance but... what's the purpose for the diffuser. I mean don't get me wrong I'm planning to buy it because I like it but besides of looking good it has any other purpose?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm sorry for my ignorance but... what's the purpose for the diffuser. I mean don't get me wrong I'm planning to buy it because I like it but besides of looking good it has any other purpose?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I don't think it has any aerodynamic purposes it is only for aesthetics.
I've recently fitted a r56 challenge diffuser to mine here's a pic

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I don't think it has any aerodynamic purposes it is only for aesthetics.
I've recently fitted a r56 challenge diffuser to mine here's a pic

Oh, I believe the rear diffuser (on a race car) indeed has aero advantages. It help channel/expel the air from underneath the car to increase downforce, and minimize "lift".

Probably not so much on a street car, other than look cool...but it may help depending. Your custom made diffuser looks more "useful" than the stock pro-diffuser, which I am not much of a fan, personally. Only thing I like is the rear side splitters that you can only get with the rear diffuser, so I won't be getting one. The stock rear bumper on the JCW is fine imo....like the look!

Reactions: Delgsamo

·
Registered
176 Posts
Oh, I believe the rear diffuser (on a race car) indeed has aero advantages. It help channel/expel the air from underneath the car to increase downforce, and minimize "lift".

Probably not so much on a street car, other than look cool...but it may help depending. Your custom made diffuser looks more "useful" than the stock pro-diffuser, which I am not much of a fan, personally. Only thing I like is the rear side splitters that you can only get with the rear diffuser, so I won't be getting one. The stock rear bumper on the JCW is fine imo....like the look!
On a race car it does have aero advantages but I agree on a road car probably not so much.
I'm with you personally I don't like the jcw pro diffuser it seems like a lot of money for what it is, although I would like the little side splitters for my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,not been on the forum for a good 6 months. Has anyone any advice on the rear diffuser pro kit. I have got the chance to buy one for £350 with Pdc and thinking of fitting the diffuser myself,but would like to know how easy/difficult it is to fit? Or should I bother at all?. I understand that the diffuser has to be partly bonded on? Been trying to find a video of it being fitted but without success. Owned the car nearly 7 months now and still love driving it. Covered 3,000 miles. Any comments about the diffuser much appreciated.
Hi,
I bought one of these for £310. I thought in my mind it would be easy to fit. However when it arrived it looked really complicated. Im pretty good at fitting things and i'm very practical. Once you have removed all the old bits, ie Diffuser, fog lights, and the bottom bit of the wheel arch trims, its fairly easy to sort. I would however recommend to secure the brackets with a couple of small self tapping screws, i felt this was more secure. The new diffuser itself is supposed to be glued into place, i tried this twice but didn't hold. So i drilled two small holes each side at the top above the fog light, these went through the diffuser and bracket and held it perfectly...Its not worth the risk of glueing, its not a tight enough fit to glue. Mine has the screws , and to be honest a dot of black paint and there more or less invisible. It took me probably 2 hours, if you get the old stuff off neatly its so easy to fit this kit.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi,

Had it fitted last week and they used double sided tape.

It looked like it was going to fall off and wasn't a flush fit. I'm not paying for a botched job.

BMW will have another try but if they can't fit it then I will ask them to put the old rear back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
The front is mounted badly!

While the rear extractor was mounted without using the bi-component glue provided by MINI (in my JCW with that glue, no problem) >: D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.