Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

New here, but have been reading the forums for quite a while. So far it's been really useful, so glad to be a member :)

I've got a Monwalk Grey MC on order, decided to get it over the MCS because of fuel consumption and the fact that it really does seem to be as fast as I'd like my car to be (had to buy without testing, but took the plunge). The one thing that I did like about the MCS however, is how it looks, so with some accessories I was hoping to create my own sort of 'Hybrid" here (I know, a little bit of cheating :D )

I've seen the MCS rear primed spoiler for sale on some sites, I live in Spain so for example this site would deliver:

http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mini-parts/info_BM51_62_7_375_850.html

Would love to fit this on my MC, however i'm not sure it can be done. The dealership doesn't know and then I emailed the guys from this site, and they came back to me with a vague and unhelpful;

"The only spoiler that will fit your F56 would be the one for the cooper which is different from the JCW."

I don't fully trust this answer, to me it sounds a little like "Let's not run any risks by selling this guy something he 'may' not be able to fit"...
Does anyone know if the small spoiler of the MC can be easily replaced with the bigger MCS one? (ie/same set of nuts/bolts or has it simply been stuck on?)

I don't have the car yet and have no means to check out the MC and MCS and how the spoilers seem to be fitted (I bought through a BMW dealer so they have no MINI's on display). I'm sure I'm not the only one considering this, so any info would be great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Have you tried adding the JCW spoiler to an MC through an online Configurator? I can't see why it wouldn't be possible in practice but the stock MC and MCS spoilers are different.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply... Well the thing is that I'm actually unable to find the MCS rear spoiler as an option in the official online configurator. As a matter of fact I don't see it for sale as an official accesory on the MINI (mini.es or mini.co.uk)... but the part sold by minigenuineparts.co.uk does seem legit. I just don't know how it's supposed to be fitted or how complicated it would be to remove the smaller spoiler that comes with the MC.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, Just saw this... Note how it says that the part fits F56 and F56S.

http://mini.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Exterior/F56S-2014/7043.html

Still not 100% about how reliable that info is... If anyone has an idea of how these Spoilers are fitted and if removing the MC one is not a nightmare, I would like to hear it.

Essentially it's the same part as the first link I sent, so I would buy from them as I'm in europe, however these guys seem to say it does fit the MC vs. saying it wouldn't, so I'll email sewellparts and see if they can confirm...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi LeakyTurnip... Awesome, have you done it yourself or have seen how to?

You seem pretty confident about it. Just need that extra bump so I'm sure to order, It's not exactly a cheap part!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Have you tried looking at realoem.com? You might be able to find diagrams of parts and fixings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've spoken with my dealer and looked closely at one fitted to an S. Would to get one shortly, just need to build up the funds first!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, thanks for the feedback! Ok, so definitely possible by the sounds of it... Good stuff. I think I'll be ordering mine soon. If anyone else has had any experience with it let us know please.

Lawrothegreat, I'm going to try find the part number and look it up, thanks for that!

LeakyTurnip, do you have your MC already or have your ordered it? Is the dealer directly up for selling you the JCW rear spoiler? So far I have only found it on other sites....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I collected my MC back on the 17th April. My dealer is happy to order it up and get it painted for me and I can have a stab a fitting it myself. Does not seem too complicated to should be easy enough.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice! I will try my luck with my dealer (so slow, had to order through a BMW dealer, even though there's official MINI service, weird)... see if he's up for ordering it for me. It's probably just sold as a replacement part rather than an accessory. Fitting it should be quite easy if its just nuts and bolts... as long as theres no glue/silicone involved!

I was thinking about wrapping it with some good quality 3M shiny black vinyl... I think it could do the job to match the black roof I ordered.

How's the MC, are you happy with it? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
14 Posts
to make it short

- yes you can exchange all F56 spoilers. 5 screws on the lower side of the spoiler. 2 screws under the aero-edges (side finishers). Correct torque and drive is very important!!!
- no, please do not buy a primed JCW spoiler until it is available as separate parts as you will not be able to paint it in a good quality without taking the wing off
- when exchanging a F56 or F55 spoiler don't forget to buy some new finishers. One/Cooper and Cooper S spoilers have the same type, JCW another type. But you will damage its clipses when taking it off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I'd like to see if the aftermarket comes out with a carbon fiber spoiler
I don't know whether this is currently planned at all. Maybe with JCW launch. But do you really want to avoid any car wash because of a second class tuning spoiler?

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I don't know whether this is currently planned at all. Maybe with JCW launch. But do you really want to avoid any car wash because of a second class tuning spoiler?
You have a point.. There are many reputable companies that make good product. We'll have to wait and see. I'm not a fan of the way the JCW is offered currently, it could make it a challenge to be painted properly from the pictures I've seen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Of course you can screw the wing off.To my mind it would be a nice effect to have different colours for the wing and the rest of the spoiler. Masking the grained area is a little bit more complicated. Currently, the middle cover is not avsilable separately.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I have the spoiler. I can confirm it's easy to install and I did it myself with tools I had at home.

My only criticism is the size it has... I would have preferred it protruded a little more. From a side angle it's noticeable and it does compensate the new MINI's natural bulged out rear, but from other angles it's sometimes hardly noticeable and to a certain extent makes the car a little more bottom heavy... opposite to what I thought.

It does make it look a little sportier, and it looks fine... just less dramatic than what i hoped for. Ideally, since its a two part design... the flat (lower) part would have been as large as the spoiler (or roof extension) the Cooper comes with but with the extra M-style aerodynamics. For those wondering, the roof extension or flat part of the spoiler is about 3-4cm smaller than the regular Cooper's... then the M-style aerodynamics do extend about 1-2cm more than the Cooper's standard piece.

I'm quite happy for the result but for the price (270 + 80 euro paint), I expected a little more to be honest... There's a bunch of pictures online, make sure you check them out well and decide for yourself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts