Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

First time poster from Australia and test drove the JCW several weeks back.

Very impressed with the build and performance-wise it looks like the perfect replacement for our 2014 MB A250 AMG.

Just would like to know from current owners how reliable the JCW is as the miles clock up.

Mini Australia carries a 5-year/80,000km servicing plan costing just $1,295 which is certainly very attractive.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’ve had mine for about a year and it’s done 15k, no mechanical issues so far...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I have had mine since November of 2015 and have 30,000 miles of hard driving on it with no issues, it has been a mechanically and physically perfect car. NM module and JCW PRO exhaust producing 270 HP and 285 FT LBS of torque for most of that time. The most fun car I have ever owned except maybe my first go kart 60 years ago that required constant tinkering.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Haven't had any major problems so far. Had an issue with the engine mount rattling, and was covered under warranty. It was a factory defect apparently.

Also on the JCW Pro Exhaust, the shielding has fallen loose and likely due to poor installation by the dealership (was fitted before collection of the car when new). This was also covered by warranty :)

Other than that, it runs great, sounds great, and drives great. Great car and been reliable in all conditions so far!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys

·
Registered
217 Posts
Very similar situation to Dan - 28,000 very hard driven km over the past 2 years with NM PowerModule and Remus exhaust in place for most of that time (probably only 265-270hp for my setup since the lower octane gas ratings in Japan mean I need to use the NM Module on the lower setting). So far no problem at all (except having to replace brake pads and rotors, which clearly is due to my aggressive driving style, and the replacement of the crappy OEM runflats at the 20,000km mark with some awesome Pilot SuperSports0. Seems a very reliable car so far, though I am a bit nervous since my warranty is only for 3 years and can't be extended to 5 in Japan...

Reactions: killinghall

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you buy before 30 April MINI is offering 10 years/100,000 Km free servicing
Thanks Mike. That is awesome!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Mine has done 32,000 miles and I’ve had the following issues;

Fabric coming away from the join of the rear passenger window to the C Pilar, and yet to enquire about having this sorted. This seems to be a common issue across F56 models and is usually sorted with a replacement C Pilar trim.

Door seals rubbing on the door shuts just below the B Pilar. Again a common issue and I’ve had the door seals replaced by Mini and this seems to have made the issue worse if anything.

My scuttle panel and gloss black section of the front bumper is starting to fade quite badly. Again I am yet to enquire about having this seen to by my local dealership.

In terms of mechanical reliability I have had no issues what so ever. Mine has been remapped to 290bhp and is running absolutely fine! I have had to replace a front parking sensor as a stone damaged it, however this is the only real expense I’ve had through my 2 years ownership.

The rear brake pads ran out at 18,000 miles and the fronts needed doing at 21,000 which seems odd but again, having read up online this seems to be a common F56 trait that seems to be put down to either the stability control using the rear brakes or the cruise control..

So far this has been the most reliable car I’ve ever owned. Very very happy and impressed

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I rarely use cruise control and the few times that I have was in eco mode on the interstates, which I avoid whenever possible. I am actually amazed that the brakes have held up for 30,000 miles. That's far beyond what I expected, but I have faithfully kept to recommended service schedule. I/we drive it hard on back roads most trips with the stabilization off and that may have something to do with it..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine has done 32,000 miles and I’ve had the following issues;
Hey James, what is your model year and were any TSBs issued by Mini to address the problems you encountered?

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Gday, i bought my F56 JCW in January 2016 and no real problems at all. I bought the 5yr service plan which was a good deal. I did the sums and this was about the same price as it would have cost me to do it myself.

Have had the firmware updated, the odd rattle sorted, replaced the brake pads before they were due for other reasons but still on origonal run flats and have travelled 39000km

Car is very reliable, built well and fun to drive. No complaints at all.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Door seals rubbing on the door shuts just below the B Pilar. Again a common issue and I’ve had the door seals replaced by Mini and this seems to have made the issue worse if anything.

My scuttle panel and gloss black section of the front bumper is starting to fade quite badly. Again I am yet to enquire about having this seen to by my local dealership.

Pav, these points raised by James are probably worth keeping in mind for the newbies.

After getting the new door seals fitted, the dealer should also have fitted clear plastic over the affected area, since the redesign didn't totally cure the issue. If the seal is still the same on the LCI I'd recommend getting the vinyl applied to protect the area.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had mine since November of 2015 and have 30,000 miles of hard driving on it with no issues, it has been a mechanically and physically perfect car. NM module and JCW PRO exhaust producing 270 HP and 285 FT LBS of torque for most of that time. The most fun car I have ever owned except maybe my first go kart 60 years ago that required constant tinkering.
install NM , not void the warranty ? what octane is used , thnx

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yes, I have the NM module and the dealership is aware of it, but I take it off before I have it serviced just in case. I use only top tier fuels at least 92 octane, mostly I use Shell 93 octane. I am going to try to and boost the octane to over 100 octane using TORCO this year at the MOTD (Minis on the Tail of the Dragon). It takes 36 U.S. ounces, one can. to boost it 10 points to achieve 103 octane and I am going to have it on a dynomometer during the event. I will post the results then . The MOTD isMay 2-6, it may be a week or so before I get around to posting the results after the event.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey James, what is your model year and were any TSBs issued by Mini to address the problems you encountered?

It's a 65 plate so was registered in November 2015..

I'm not sure whether any of the issues I mentioned have been sorted, they did apply a vinyl to my door shuts once they'd changed the door seals but the vinyl was quite thick considering the amount of contours it had to adapt to so it looked absolutely awful so I had them remove it, eventually I will get a proper body shop to fit some thinner clear vinyl

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just bringing up this thread again as our F56 has just clocked 20,000kms one and a half years into ownership.

Not a single issue whatsoever, just plenty of smiles!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Reactions: vicvo
1 - 20 of 23 Posts