Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had luck trying to display gearshift bars on HUD?

Tried it stationary and on the move but no luck:(
As it mentions in manual - Sport Mode....M/S position....DSC off and floor throttle past restriction.

I don't know if it's affected by not having a certain pack?? I don't have the sensible pack:laugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe you have to turn it on in Settings > Head-Up Display > Displayed Information and then make sure Sport Instruments(or something to that effect) is selected.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you have to turn it on in Settings > Head-Up Display > Displayed Information and then make sure Sport Instruments(or something to that effect) is selected.
Done that before - all information currently selected.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
seen this on other site uk car

Done it whilst driving. Wasn't stationary.

Toggle from Eco or Mid into Sport

Change from D into M/S

Turn on the Dynamic traction control (should bring up a warning in the centre display, press ok. then you'll see the yellow symbol in the rev counter)

Floor it!!!!

That's basically it! When you put your foot down, just make sure it is ALL THE WAY DOWN!! You'll feel a bit of pressure towards the end of the pedal, push through. Guess it's the safety button/pedal push for the speed limiter.

Let us know if you get it working.

Edit: can probably be done in any order

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seen this on other site uk car

Done it whilst driving. Wasn't stationary.

Toggle from Eco or Mid into Sport

Change from D into M/S

Turn on the Dynamic traction control (should bring up a warning in the centre display, press ok. then you'll see the yellow symbol in the rev counter)

Floor it!!!!

That's basically it! When you put your foot down, just make sure it is ALL THE WAY DOWN!! You'll feel a bit of pressure towards the end of the pedal, push through. Guess it's the safety button/pedal push for the speed limiter.

Let us know if you get it working.

Edit: can probably be done in any order
Ye,thats the exact way I tried it Derek.
Will have to give a go again.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had another try today.......sport mode-traction control-m/s mode throttle full down but this time I put it in Manual mode.....didn't do that before had left it in sport.......obvious really to get full rev range when you need bars to indicate!!!

Still no luck though:(

Come on JCW owners have you tried yours yet........there must be a certain pack that enables this function ......sat nav or something. I know someone on another forum has had success.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had another try today.......sport mode-traction control-m/s mode throttle full down but this time I put it in Manual mode.....didn't do that before had left it in sport.......obvious really to get full rev range when you need bars to indicate!!!

Still no luck though:(

Come on JCW owners have you tried yours yet........there must be a certain pack that enables this function ......sat nav or something. I know someone on another forum has had success.
Have you read the post from this other forum or not

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to make it completely clear I have made all the correct selections.....HUD display etc.
Johnboy I have checked the other forum but it doesn't confirm anything really.....just says think you need drivers pack with a question mark....to me that isn't definite and I don't know what is in Drivers Pack to allow this to be enabled.
All I am trying to establish is WHO has been able to enable this function and what their spec list is.
Will have to query Mini UK I think as it is causing me sleepless nights:laugh::laugh:
Thanks for input guys........must be somebody in USA who knows(what about you O2)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just a thought, do you have to have a Manuel? [sic]
Hurbert,
I'm waiting for someone with a manual as well to check theirs which I would think would def have that function.....but it def has a paragraph in the owners manual referring to auto.
Have you tried it on yours yet ??
Just remembered the guy on the the thread on the other forum referred to earlier must have had an auto too at that time!!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Just to make it completely clear I have made all the correct selections.....HUD display etc.
Johnboy I have checked the other forum but it doesn't confirm anything really.....just says think you need drivers pack with a question mark....to me that isn't definite and I don't know what is in Drivers Pack to allow this to be enabled.
All I am trying to establish is WHO has been able to enable this function and what their spec list is.
Will have to query Mini UK I think as it is causing me sleepless nights:laugh::laugh:
Thanks for input guys........must be somebody in USA who knows(what about you O2)
Sorry Dave....I don't have HUD...I'm old school remember? I just drive and listen to the wonderful engine sound...never tire of it.

Good Luck,

John

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah John I thought you might not have bothered with it ...distracting from driving pleasure!! I must admit though it comes in handy when in speed restricted areas because now you are always travelling quicker than you think>:D I am really only interested in finding out in what circumstances it can be enabled now that its bugging me and anyway I prefer to listen to that lovely B/T exhaust. On the track only of course>:D
Cheers

·
Registered
270 Posts
Anyone had luck trying to display gearshift bars on HUD?

Tried it stationary and on the move but no luck:(
As it mentions in manual - Sport Mode....M/S position....DSC off and floor throttle past restriction.

I don't know if it's affected by not having a certain pack?? I don't have the sensible pack:laugh:
I tried everything but I am unable to get it to display the shift lights. Perhaps this feature is only available with a manuals shift?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried everything but I am unable to get it to display the shift lights. Perhaps this feature is only available with a manuals shift?
Check out appendix at rear of handbook.....def mentions steptronic and moving stick!! from drive to M/S position
Was in at dealer on way past today and Jamie ( salesman) didn't know about it but is def going to try it on JCW auto demo on his way home tonight.
Tried it again on way home with every variable but no luck either.....even tried it flooring it starting of from 1st but you have to be really b..... quick to change into 2nd:eek: especially with still only 800 miles on the clock

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ok I got the shift lights to work.

Sport Mode. Manual gearing (shifting with paddles and transmission in M/S). Traction Control MUST be off (checked and it won't work with traction on and won't work unless you click OK to traction control off warning on the centre display)

I don't think you need to floor it but you do have to accelerate very hard - so pretty close to flat out.

It doesn't work in 1st gear - the shift lights never appear in 1st (1st gear would not be used in a race anyway so I guess it makes sense)

The lights first come on when you hit about 5000+ rpm in 2nd gear and the lights go bright around 6000. Once you shift the lights disappear completely until you hit 5000 rpm in third gear when the shift light again begin to appear from the sides converging on the rev counter. I didn't get to try in 4th or 5th as I was on small private streets (speed getting excessive) but I assume it will work in 4th and 5th also if you have a long enough open runway.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good bit of detective work there GOGOBIG. I'm surprised it didn't work with traction control on (I'm sure it definitely says that in the handbook) So will have to try it with DSC on then and traction control off and clicked. Will have to wait a few more miles though or the Mini Police will be after me for exceeding 4,500 rpm;)
Surprised though that it isn't more progressive from say 4,000rpm up......seems a bit pointless starting just from 5,000rpm and disappearing in a flash in the lower gears!! Need to head to the Autobahn to try out 4th & 5th......5,000 in 4th will be 90mph and 5,000 in 5th will be 121mph:laugh:
Will be able to sleep sound tonight....no more bugging me:)
Cheers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts