Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I just picked up the car a few hours ago from the dealer, I was getting the JCW kit installed.

The exhaust sounds fantastic and the acceleration is top notch but there is something I don't quite understand, the exhaust is louder on green mode than medium mode o_O thats is really really weird!

If you put the car at idle and select green or medium you can clearly hear it is louder lol no idea why, performance wise on green is super slow, medium a little better and sport OMG it just FLY LOL

Can any one with the same kit please ket me know if you got a same behavior with yours?

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds the same in mid and green and significantly louder in sport in my JCW and in my friends' as well. I have no idea why your would be different, perhaps some sort of coding glitch?
It could be, now days everything is done through a computer so there could be a glitch. I will give it a few more days to break in and then I will visit the dealer to see what they say

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
I actually think there is no problem. I have the JCW with standard exhaust. Mine sounds deeper in Green mode because the transmission races through the gears very fast. I could be in 5 gear only doing 50 to 60 km/hr.
In Green mode, the car tries to be as efficient as possible and uses the torque of the motor more so than the power so it tries to get to the highest gear as early as possible. The deep sound your hearing is just the car not labouring but being in a higher gear than normal for efficiency and not power.
Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
After following this thread and posts I checked mine out as well and it does in fact sound deeper in green mode and the exhaust does stay open. I had never really checked it closely as the only time I use green mode is on interstate highways and usually sport the rest of the time. I did check and it does close the valve in mid mode. It seems sort of strange that it does that. I normally only check it sport mode to insure that it is open or closed dependent upon where I am driving.

·
Registered
68 Posts
After following this thread and posts I checked mine out as well and it does in fact sound deeper in green mode and the exhaust does stay open. I had never really checked it closely as the only time I use green mode is on interstate highways and usually sport the rest of the time. I did check and it does close the valve in mid mode. It seems sort of strange that it does that. I normally only check it sport mode to insure that it is open or closed dependent upon where I am driving.
Almost sounds like a glitch. My F56S exhaust stays open in green, mid and sport mode. Definitely a deeper throatier sound in green mode.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It sounds deeper to me because the engine RPMs are lower and the gearbox (auto) shifts early and keeps you at low revs, with the exhaust output droning because of a lack of high frequency revs that increase vibrations beyond that bassy range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.