Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what tyres you got and how do you rate them as well, for grip wet and dry and noise and wear.

Also are you planning to change brand when replacements needed?

Our R56 S used to chew up front Dunlop so sports every 8000 miles or so:(
It does seem the traction is far better on f56 and know we have nearly 3k on clock tyres look great and look like they will last 10k plus easy.
How are others finding wear , also grip improved massively with the Dunlop sport maxx tyres on ours after about 1200 miles or maybe just me getting used to them as unduly tyres bed in a lot less miles that that.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I am not a run flat fan, we burnt the Dunlops off our R56 JCW at the North Carolina Motorsports Park shortly after we got it. I installed Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's and bought a quality 12 volt air compressor, dynaplug kit, and a large aerosol can of Slime and never looked back. They are not a great track tire, but are wonderful on the road, particularly rough ones. We did the same with our C7 as it is primarily a touring car for us. We did put it on the track once and the Michelins broke free too easily under hard power and the C7 tends to be a bit tail happy anyway. I will leave the OEM tires on it until they are worn down and then probably switch to a non run flat after that, mostly likely I will stick with the Michelins as I have had really good luck with them.

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
I too hate run flats. Fan of continental, happy with the Dunlop sport max rt that are on but think I had more grip with continental. Goodyear doing v well in current tests. Worth reading auto express and evo tyre tests .

Reactions: derekh929

·
Registered
150 Posts
Changed my Dunlops to Michelin Pilot Super Sports, amazing difference, had to go for 215 40 18's though

So what tyres you got and how do you rate them as well, for grip wet and dry and noise and wear.

Also are you planning to change brand when replacements needed?

Our R56 S used to chew up front Dunlop so sports every 8000 miles or so:(
It does seem the traction is far better on f56 and know we have nearly 3k on clock tyres look great and look like they will last 10k plus easy.
How are others finding wear , also grip improved massively with the Dunlop sport maxx tyres on ours after about 1200 miles or maybe just me getting used to them as unduly tyres bed in a lot less miles that that.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
A lot of good points here!

This is my problem: I have Pirelli P7 summer runflats (from factory). They are alright although during spirited driving they do not stick enough to suit me (they are great in F1, so why not give MINI the same quality in a Pirelli?). And they are crazy expensive at $203 per tire!

I will likely go with Michelin non-run flats in the future, but the wheel width on the 18" two-tone cup spoke wheels on the JCW is only 7"...Grrrrrrrr! Why did MINI give the JCW only a 7" wide rim??? They designed the wheels around the Brembo brakes, obviously...so why not allow for a proper size rubber footprint for this screamer JCW???

The stock tires are just too small on this car! Looks like the 215/40/18 is the way to go without rubbing, but that's pushing it on a 7" wide rim I'd say...anyone try them on 18"x7" ET54 cup spokes yet?

I will probably need to go to a wider wheel, and I really like the stock cup spokes...at least until BBS or some other quality wheel manufacturer comes up with a design for the F56 JCW that suits my tastes!

Nothing 's easy anymore...used to be able to swap wheels & tires all day long on cars...not the F56 JCW! LOL!

John

Reactions: derekh929

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
A lot of good points here!

This is my problem: I have Pirelli P7 summer runflats (from factory). They are alright although during spirited driving they do not stick enough to suit me (they are great in F1, so why not give MINI the same quality in a Pirelli?). And they are crazy expensive at $203 per tire!

I will likely go with Michelin non-run flats in the future, but the wheel width on the 18" two-tone cup spoke wheels on the JCW is only 7"...Grrrrrrrr! Why did MINI give the JCW only a 7" wide rim??? They designed the wheels around the Brembo brakes, obviously...so why not allow for a proper size rubber footprint for this screamer JCW???

The stock tires are just too small on this car! Looks like the 215/40/18 is the way to go without rubbing, but that's pushing it on a 7" wide rim I'd say...anyone try them on 18"x7" ET54 cup spokes yet?

I will probably need to go to a wider wheel, and I really like the stock cup spokes...at least until BBS or some other quality wheel manufacturer comes up with a design for the F56 JCW that suits my tastes!

Nothing 's easy anymore...used to be able to swap wheels & tires all day long on cars...not the F56 JCW! LOL!

John
Hey John, BBS make the RF wheel for the F56 . You should drop them an email to see if they'll be making anything that will work on the JCW. http://www.bbs-usa.com/application_guide/#/wheels

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi,
I have the 18" Cup Spoke wheels with Dunlop Sport Max tyres on my F56 JCW and have found them excellent since picking the car up on 6th November.
However, I swopped to my new winter wheel and tyre set on 1st December (MINI JCW 17" wheels with Dunlop winter Sport Max tyres) and I have been finding that they "slip" in the wet, particularly when I try to put the power down from standstill.

Both of my tyre sets are run flats but the difference in grip is noticeable, I fully expected the winters to be far superior, not the case.

Easing off the accelerator at the moment ......

·
Registered
508 Posts
My experience with winters in the wet is that most have excellent grip in the straight-ahead position, for example accelerating in a dead straight line or braking. But add in any cornering and the picture changes dramatically: the tread on winters is definitely biased towards traction and braking and not cornering - which is not surprising since in snow you cannot choose how steep hills are but you can choose to corner more gently. When the two combine, like accelerating on a curve out of a roundabout, then winters slip fairly easily.

With tyres, like most engineering, everything is a compromise and winter tyres are no exception. Wait until a cold snap and find a ungritted icy hill to drive up and down to amaze yourself with what winters can do. But don't get carried away - I once drove to a job miles down an ungritted road, revelling in the winters' grip, but when I stepped out of the car at my destination, I fell over in the street as my shoes didn't grip as well as the tyres!

I used to worry about prematurely wearing out my winters by slipping them but I've found that not to be a problem - indeed wear rates seem to be very low and this winter I have told myself I can slip and slide the winters as much as I like. It is rather fun once you recalibrate your brain to expect the slip that modern high performance summers won't give (unless you visit hedges frequently) - even once they start slipping, there is still more grip available on winters. It's like a driving a really old tyre design, where slip started at maybe only half maximum grip. To those who've grown up only on modern tyres that don't slip until very near their limit (say 90%), it may be a bit worrying at first.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Hey John, BBS make the RF wheel for the F56 . You should drop them an email to see if they'll be making anything that will work on the JCW. http://www.bbs-usa.com/application_guide/#/wheels
Thanks Peter....I emailed them since their website doesn't have a slot for the JCW. Those RF's are really pricey though regardless!!

Hi,
I have the 18" Cup Spoke wheels with Dunlop Sport Max tyres on my F56 JCW and have found them excellent since picking the car up on 6th November.

However, I swopped to my new winter wheel and tyre set on 1st December (MINI JCW 17" wheels with Dunlop winter Sport Max tyres) and I have been finding that they "slip" in the wet, particularly when I try to put the power down from standstill.

Both of my tyre sets are run flats but the difference in grip is noticeable, I fully expected the winters to be far superior, not the case.

Easing off the accelerator at the moment ......
Tough to do though (i.e. easing off the accelerator)! LOL! These JCW's can really put the power down quickly!!! :)

John

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you crave ultimate performance then I have used and can highly recommend for JCW these tires for on road daily use.

Summer: Continental ContactDW Extreme (not run flat) - amazing tires - the car feels glued to the road and solid as a rock.

Winter: Nokian Hakepelita 8 Run flat (studded)

The studded winters are amazing handling on corners and on ice and snow - if you drive aggressively then you will love these tires as they have the most grip I have ever experienced for a winter tire with absolutely NO loss of handling or stability (blizzak and other soft deep tread winter tires result in a loss of stability) - obviously they give up some grip over the summer tires in warmer days on the dry and wet as there is less tire/road contact due to the aggressive tread pattern for snow.

I use stock rims. There is no need to go wider IMHO except if you prefer a more aggressive look. On deep snow a narrower rim and tire would perform even better but I am not sure if any narrower rim is available to go over those big front brembos!

Oh and one piece of advice for those who read this thread (which implies you are at least looking for a better than average tire) - throw your stock tires in the garbage or remove them and store them until you are ready to sell the car. Stock tires (mine came with Hancock) are severely limiting what you can get out of your JCW!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm currently running Goodyear F1 asymmetric 2 @ 215/45/17 on 7.5" wide rims
Very good tyres in the wet stuff

The dunlops are the best of the runflats and look like they will last past 20k

My last mini had Yokohama AD08r in 215/45/17 as my summer tyre, and nokian WRA3 as winters
but I had lots more power to put down:D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Max dry Track grip = Hoosier R7

Max dry summer grip: BFG Rival S or Bridgestone RE-71R.

Good long-lasting summer [and wet] grip: Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Cheap but OK summer [and wet] grip: Conti Extreme DW, Yokohama s.Drive

Winter: Depends where you live and your laws. Chains and/or studs might not be legal, practical, or relevant. I live in a mildly snowy winter climate and run the "performance winter" Pirelli Sottozero 3 in 205/45-17. Mushy steering feel like most winter tires but otherwise perfectly acceptable for my winter climate.

Stock JCW tires: all-season's? Yes, throw them out unless you think all-seaons are a good solution in principle. The OEM Pirelli P7 17" are actually OK for summer wet/dry and their LRR is a big plus for fuel economy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just found a nail in one of my Pirelli P7, they are garbage and was going to change anyway. so good excuse to change to P Zero. Will report back with difference.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Max dry Track grip = Hoosier R7

Max dry summer grip: BFG Rival S or Bridgestone RE-71R.

Good long-lasting summer [and wet] grip: Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Cheap but OK summer [and wet] grip: Conti Extreme DW, Yokohama s.Drive

Winter: Depends where you live and your laws. Chains and/or studs might not be legal, practical, or relevant. I live in a mildly snowy winter climate and run the "performance winter" Pirelli Sottozero 3 in 205/45-17. Mushy steering feel like most winter tires but otherwise perfectly acceptable for my winter climate.

Stock JCW tires: all-season's? Yes, throw them out unless you think all-seaons are a good solution in principle. The OEM Pirelli P7 17" are actually OK for summer wet/dry and their LRR is a big plus for fuel economy.
Went through 2 sets of Pilot Supersports on my M135 and am a huge fan of them - happy to hear they are available in JCW size as I only have 200km on my new JCW and am already finding the standard runflats a bit hard...

·
Registered
47 Posts
No stranger to RF's
Ditched them twice on 2 diff bmw's i had previously.

Long drive over the weekend confirms runflats (sportmaxx) will be ditched. Grip was ok, ride was bothering on harsh, steering feedback jumpy at times. What "seals the deal" was fighting tire noise when trying to hold a converstaion when driving through rough road sections!
Looking at F1 asym 3 or P sport 4. Price may decide which 1 i eventually settle for.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
There are two types of runflats, bad and worse. If I tracked on a regular basis I would opt for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, non runflat ones. But, I seldom track anymore and have found that for my use the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+s work great for me. They perform decently in all temperatures and are a good rain tire. We seldom have snow anymore and if we do, I don't drive the performance toys. They wear better than the Pilot Super Sports and actually work better in cold weather and it saves changing tires twice a year. They are also relatively quiet on the road which is nice for long trips to the N.C. mountains.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts