Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering who's ordering the Jcw with or without a sunroof. Because I'm on the fence out it. Because I kinda want to do roof stripes, but I think it would look silly with a sunroof and a very partial stripes stopped by glass. Btw, I am getting a red roof.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm getting the sunroof. Test driving a Cooper S with the option fitted sold it to me. The two panels are so big that they make a big difference when open. You can really enjoy the weather (and the exhaust note!) with them open.

I'm getting the black roof so the sunroof will be quite discrete, but I'm also not getting any stripes because I want the entire car to be kind of discrete.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was wondering who's ordering the Jcw with or without a sunroof. Because I'm on the fence out it. Because I kinda want to do roof stripes, but I think it would look silly with a sunroof and a very partial stripes stopped by glass. Btw, I am getting a red roof.

Mini offered roof decals for sunroofs on the previous R56 so I don't think it would look silly. I would order the sunroof and make my mind up about the stripes later. In the UK before air con became the norm and we sealed ourselves in our cars many cars had sunroofs, and a sunroof is actually a more useable option because it is usable all year.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Ok, I'll totally confuse you with my response, but here are a few things to chew on...

I didn't get the sunroof on my JCW, but I've never been much of a fan. I've had one on my '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Orvis Edition (the highest optioned Jeep in its day), and for 19 years I'd say the sunroof has been open 5 or 6 times! Ha!

It's just something to leak and otherwise go wrong somewhere. I prefer a solid black roof, and I'll enjoy waxing it I'm sure. Plus, the S/R was an extra $1,000. Sadly, in the NE here in the US we've had a couple horrendous winters...if I still lived in Florida I'd most likely opt for the S/R, but then again I'd probably not go with the black roof either.

There's alot of things to consider. If I was in CA like you, with all the nice weather you get there, I'd possibly lean toward having the S/R.

One thing I've noticed about all MINI's during my search is the drip rail around the roof and the S/R trim/seal tend to "Fade" quite badly over time....just some things to consider. It takes alot of "Forever Black" or something similar to keep that stuff looking optimum.

If you are an outdoor person, and like convertibles though, you'll like the S/R.

Bottom line though, a S/R on a JCW though???, Nah....no S/R for my JCW!!! Just like there's minimal electonic gadgets for me too....it's a driver's car!

If I wanted roof stripes there's no way I'd mess with the panoramic s/r...maybe so if it was a simpler-typical multi-function s/r, but the panoramic extends the entire length of the roof! I wouldn't put stripes on that.

Good luck,

John

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm glad I got mine with a sunroof even though I don't open it. It really makes the interior seem a lot larger and when the sunshades are pulled back on cloudy days, brightens up the cabin.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm glad I got mine with a sunroof even though I don't open it. It really makes the interior seem a lot larger and when the sunshades are pulled back on cloudy days, brightens up the cabin.
Yes, I agree. I expect to have the mesh opened quite a lot just to get more light in. Coming from a 1999 Fiat Multipla (no joke :D) I've grown accustomed to bright cabins.

Does the rear glass open or is it fixed?

·
Registered
283 Posts

I'm surprised that not many people order the sunroof option in the UK, its not much more than metallic paint, yet you can use it every day even if just for extra light and it adds to the resale value of the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I agree. I expect to have the mesh opened quite a lot just to get more light in. Coming from a 1999 Fiat Multipla (no joke :D) I've grown accustomed to bright cabins.

Does the rear glass open or is it fixed?
Multiplas are awesome! Not many cars win Top Gear best car 2 years in a row.

I've got 2003 Cooper with sunroof and my F55 will definitely have one, the opening thing is a bit of a red herring, I rarely open mine. It's the light and 'airiness' it brings that's great (if that's your thing). I'd prefer if it was just a glass roof like you can get on Citroens et al.

·
Registered
998 Posts
there's a (false) perception that a sun roof adds weight (it does) to a performance car & therefore affects the performance (nonsense).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Multiplas are awesome! Not many cars win Top Gear best car 2 years in a row.

I've got 2003 Cooper with sunroof and my F55 will definitely have one, the opening thing is a bit of a red herring, I rarely open mine. It's the light and 'airiness' it brings that's great (if that's your thing). I'd prefer if it was just a glass roof like you can get on Citroens et al.

No, No, No, No.... Multiplas are NASTY, HORRIBLE things:(
The only people who say they are good are the people who own them, and they are only good because they solve the problem of transporting more than 5 people.
Apologies if this offends but I do have two fully operational eyes :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, most people think they look horrible because of the hump. People like anthromorpic cars. I don't think it's that bad, but I don't love it either. It's eccentric and I really like that though. It's not a boring car.

Besides the looks, it's a great car. Extremely practical, fun to drive and very nice to be in because of the large windows.

Plus it takes huge balls to drive one.

Sorry for off topic.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My friend who is a builder says that any time you put a hole in a roof you are liable to get leaks.
I have a sunroof on my Mini - only because I bought the car off the lot. The roof has been open once - to test it.

See the threads about leaky sunroofs.>:D How's Your Sunroof? Mini Cooper, BMW and VW - Atlantic ..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts