Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK ... down to the wire on final order. Based on forum input, I think all else is solidified.

Final question:

- 17' Track Spoke wheels ... no cost and I can replace with whatever I want. Not a fan of the black wheels, but not enamored with the silver ones either. Price is right so I can easily replace with aftermarket.
- 18' Cup Spoke wheels ... minimal added cost and look great. A bit narrow, but probably OK. Biggest issue is weight .. they are heavy ... but should I care?

Appreciate your feedback ... you've really helped refine my order.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I love silver wheels, and I originally spec'd the silver track spokes, but when I started seeing them on Autotrader while I waited for the 6MT to go into production (almost two years ago now...wow how time flies huh?).....I, fortunately, decided to switch to the optional 18" two-tone cup spoke wheels. Sooooooo glad I did! I would NOT have liked the 17" track spokes (at least not the silver ones)...they just look too small on the F56. The cup spokes are really beautiful wheels, and I'll probably run mine for a very long time! If I go aftermarket, now that at least a few are made to fit the the JCW Brembos, I'll go with the Team Dynamics, the NM's or other styles that are lighter and show off the Brembos a bit better.

Definitely, a no brainer afaik!

Now order the thing will ya!? ;)

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes ... almost ready, but have to sync with lease turn-in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the black 17" wheels and I don't love them, but my roads are crap and they will be potatoes within 3-4 years. I lose about 2 tires annually to sidewall bubbles.

They ride good with the sport suspension being 45s and not 40s. Tires are also sorta cheaper, so that's a bonus.

I am planning on getting another set of either these or something similar for winter.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I LOVE this wheels BLACK:

·
Registered
615 Posts
It's what you like which is important...

One thing to note is that the 18's only come with run flat tyres where as the 17's are available with or without run flat tyres so you may need to factor in the cost of non run flat if you want to ditch them....

I personally prefer 17's to 18's and there are potential added benefits of lower unsprung weight, cheaper tyre replacement & improved ride quality.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sooty, all US cars come with runflats...and I can't believe I'm saying this but the 18" Pirellis that came on my car aren't nearly as harsh as previous ones I've experienced.
I never considered the 17's, I thought the 18's looked more natural on the F body. I ordered mine with the Cup Spokes then got an extra full set of 18" Cross Spokes. My intention was to sell the Cups but now, for the price, I will hold onto them as long as I've got a place to store them.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Sooty, all US cars come with runflats...and I can't believe I'm saying this but the 18" Pirellis that came on my car aren't nearly as harsh as previous ones I've experienced.
I never considered the 17's, I thought the 18's looked more natural on the F body. I ordered mine with the Cup Spokes then got an extra full set of 18" Cross Spokes. My intention was to sell the Cups but now, for the price, I will hold onto them as long as I've got a place to store them.
Amen! It's nice to see someone that doesn't trash the 18" wheels on the F56....they just plain "look better"! I am perfectly happy with my Pirelli runflats as well...maybe if I tracked my JCW, I wouldn't like them but for my driving style they are absolutely fine.

One thing to keep in mind is you buy spare 18" cup spokes, make sure you have the correct part number (the non-JCW wheels look almost identical to the JCW cup spoke wheels, except for the more pronounced curvature on the spokes - to clear the Brembos). I had a spare wheel for well over a year until I realized the dealer sold me the wrong wheel!

The two-tone look of the cups is really hard to beat imo....they have class! It would be nice if there were more wheel options for the F56 JCW, but there aren't.

·
Registered
38 Posts
PS: I wanted the Cross Spokes hecause I liked the look better AND I'd only seen two JCW's with them online thus making them more unique.
Yes there are two different parts numbers for them. Coincidentally, when I got mine MINI USA was closing out their last five sets to dealers at a $700 discount so that was passed on to me. Dealer told me they were actually shipped from Germany.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Amen! It's nice to see someone that doesn't trash the 18" wheels on the F56.....
I read back on all the posts and don't see that anyone is trashing 18's?

There have been post that mention a personal preference for 17's but not sure where someone has said that 18's are crap?

No different to someone mentioning choosing pepper white doesn't indicate that volcanic orange is trashed....

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Amen! It's nice to see someone that doesn't trash the 18" wheels on the F56.....
I read back on all the posts and don't see that anyone is trashing 18's?

There have been post that mention a personal preference for 17's but not sure where someone has said that 18's are crap?

No different to someone mentioning choosing pepper white doesn't indicate that volcanic orange is trashed....
Sorry, I could have been more clear I suppose. I've seen a lot of owners trash the runflats & many have said the 18's with the lower tire profile are undesirable! To me, that's not a compliment.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Personally to me it's what you want the car for and to do for you.

Cruising up and down motorways etc then have what you want although but why have a JCW?

If you really want to enjoy driving, not tracking, but hooning round country lanes etc then I'd have 17" but would consider 18" both with non run flats.

On my R55 JCW when changing from run flats to normal tyres was like day & night, just my view!

So to answer the question I'd go 17" with non run flats, this is based on what I want the car to do, colour depends what colour you have decided on :)

As I've said this is just my view :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all ... despite my inclination for 17's, Cup Spokes win. Whether I keep or dump the run-flats remains to be seen.

I am going with DDC for a variety of reasons, although sway bar mods may be in the cars. I like the standard sports suspension, but where I live (FL) we have few good driver's roads and very spotty quality. I will post full build when final.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.