Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, so 9 days after picking it up, with the right amount of luck, something utterly stupid happened... While I was on the highway going to a meeting, some motherflipper's Honda Civic decides it doesn't want it's front right hubcap anymore. It pops off and starts rolling in front of my car in highway speeds. This was around 4 p.m in the afternoon, so there was a lot of traffic around me. I had no where to go but straight... As my Mini and I destroyed that hubcap, it scraped off some paint off of the front bumper... The whole thing sounded a lot worse than it was, when I came out to look at the car, I was relieved. However, still annoyed this happened, and don't know what to do... Should I claim insurance? Do I try the touchup pen? What do you guys think? :crying:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Do you mean from their insurer?

Insurance may work differs in Canada to the UK but it wouldn't be worth me claiming for that small damage as it would cost more overall on insurance, excess and having to declare a claim can force up premiums...

Possibly a smart repair or try yourself (depends how confident you are) or just a temporary touch up but I do appreachate knowing there is a mark isn't a good feeling, good luck :)

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
If you didnt get the details of the other car to which im sure you didnt have time to, i wouldnt claim it on insurance unless your excess is very low because you might lose some of your no claim bonus and pay a higher premium next renewal.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Davey don,t feel bad I had my hood fender left driver door repainted because of dust storm damage 4 weeks ago the hood already got more stone chips than I had pimples on the nose when I was a teenager and of course lets not forget them 3 stone chips in the brand new windshield. Welcome to Phoenix.:crying::(

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The Chip Doctor has a pretty good product for repair small chips, etc. I don't know if it is available in the UK or not, but I have used it with some success. It is not terribly expensive, and it is not nearly as expensive as a trip to the body shop. Many of the local dealers here in the US will do this type of repair with a repair pen. It is not perfect, but it is a quick and decent repair. I had a small ding in one of our other vehicles and the dealer repaired at their body shop for me. All I was required to do was purchase the pen and it only cost $14 US.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Chip Doctor has a pretty good product for repair small chips, etc. I don't know if it is available in the UK or not, but I have used it with some success. It is not terribly expensive, and it is not nearly as expensive as a trip to the body shop. Many of the local dealers here in the US will do this type of repair with a repair pen. It is not perfect, but it is a quick and decent repair. I had a small ding in one of our other vehicles and the dealer repaired at their body shop for me. All I was required to do was purchase the pen and it only cost $14 US.
We have a company called Chips Away in the UK for small repairs like this. I have used them a few times and always been happy with the work they did. This would annoy the life out of me! So for a few £ or $ I would certainly get it done but then again I have OCD about my cars....:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I think I will try to touch it up myself. I didn't get the other guy's insurance, he didn't even know his hubcap was missing. Going to get some paint from Mini sometime in the summer, since it's still fairly cold in Canada now... Thanks guys! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.