Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am just coming to the end of the first year with the Mini Electric.
I have covered 4341 miles so far, all of which have been great fun!
I keep a track of my electric costs just to see how much it costs me to run and I'm really impressed by the figures.
Here are my cost comparisons:

I used the real MPG figure for the Arteon which is virtually identical to the average MPG stated for a petrol Mini Cooper S, so its a fair comparison for me. Even if you make the mpg much better (say add 10 more miles per gallon), the saving is still £3,317 over 5 years.
Here is my electric usage split by costs:

I don't use any electric at home at the higher rate now, so the % at the 5p rate increases every time I charge at home, making my annual saving even better than the above figures. Plus I have had £200 of Octopus Energy referral payments, so that's at least 3 free years fuel. I excluded the Octopus referral fees out of the figures as they are not really something that can be forecast going forward. In effect the would make the above saving over 5 years £4,225.

I plugged these figures into a comparison spreadsheet I did before I purchased the Mini.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am just coming to the end of the first year with the Mini Electric.
I have covered 4341 miles so far, all of which have been great fun!
I keep a track of my electric costs just to see how much it costs me to run and I'm really impressed by the figures.
Here are my cost comparisons:

View attachment 74662

I used the real MPG figure for the Arteon which is virtually identical to the average MPG stated for a petrol Mini Cooper S, so its a fair comparison for me. Even if you make the mpg much better (say add 10 more miles per gallon), the saving is still £3,317 over 5 years.
Here is my electric usage split by costs:

View attachment 74663

I don't use any electric at home at the higher rate now, so the % at the 5p rate increases every time I charge at home, making my annual saving even better than the above figures. Plus I have had £200 of Octopus Energy referral payments, so that's at least 3 free years fuel. I excluded the Octopus referral fees out of the figures as they are not really something that can be forecast going forward. In effect the would make the above saving over 5 years £4,225.

I plugged these figures into a comparison spreadsheet I did before I purchased the Mini.

View attachment 74664
Excellent work, and quite a difference. Are/were you an accountant by any chance?

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shouldn’t running costs include depreciation? That will probably improve your figures 😀
Probably, but they are a bit too complicated and can vary depending on demand. Like at the moment demand is high for EVs as they are in short supply new. I have seen models like mine with higher mileage selling for £24k / £25k. I paid £27k for mine so a really good retention of value at the moment. It also depends on how long you intend to keep the car. I’m going to keep mine 10 years I think as I will only do 6k miles a year ( even less in first year). Being retired I don’t need to replace cars like I did when I worked and did 20k+ miles a year. Who knows what it will be worth in 10 years. I used an online depreciation calculator that estimates a depreciation of £100 a month, giving a value of approximately £16k after 10 years. That was specifically calculated for a Mini hatch, but not the EV model.

·
Super Moderator
7,714 Posts
Very persuasive figures-but tbh not why we bought the EV-simply it is more fun! Joking apart though it makes EV ownership very economical-as long as you can cope with the range.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Curious why the Mini service contract is only 40% cheaper than the ICE VW?
I'd of thought electric had next to no service costs save for brake fluid and visual inspections.
They are the amounts I paid. VW had really good service intervals and cheap service plans of £16.95 a month. Mini charge £10 a month. The Arteon was the same price as a Polo. Here is the VW Info from their website, it’s actually cheaper now than I paid!

Cars under 1 year old
For cars under 1 year old that haven’t yet had their first service.

A Volkswagen Service Plan covers the first two consecutive services (1 x oil service and 1 x oil and inspection service) with an option to pay upfront or spread over 24 monthly payments.

£16.09 x 24 months.

·
Super Moderator
7,714 Posts
It seems to me as if Mini are charging excessive amounts for what really amounts to a look over and a brake fluid and pollen filter change to protect the dealer. Same as Nissan. Nigh on £200 a year for a leaf last time our father in law had his done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts