Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a whole 46 miles on my new baby today on the drive home from the Dealer! It is everything I expected and then some! Very pleased overall, and my MINI Dealer was outstanding....those guys were truly happy for me and my wife! Now the journey of MINI ownership begins!

When you configure your build online and finally see it in person, it's truly amazing! It looks so much better in the flesh though! :D

I will post up photos once I get my little guy all detailed proper!

Cheers,

John

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For Peter....

Just before driving it home...still at the dealer.

Attachments

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. Well, after a weekend of detailing my little guy and getting to know him better, I took him out for some photos yesterday. I highly recommend detailing your own car from the dealer, when new, as it allows you to really get to know the car better through the process. Yes, it's tiring, but a "good tired"!...and no swirl marks!! :)

Once I figure out how to create a new sub-album in my photobucket account I will post up more photos. For now, I have posted up a few photos to present my little guy, "Midnight".

By the way, does anybody "really" keep the revs below 4500rpm for the 1200 mile break-in period? I'm easy on my cars, but that's laughable! ;)

Still under 100 miles, and still learning things about how everything works!

Cheers,

John

Attachments

· Registered
372 Posts
Thanks everyone. Well, after a weekend of detailing my little guy and getting to know him better, I took him out for some photos yesterday. I highly recommend detailing your own car from the dealer, when new, as it allows you to really get to know the car better through the process. Yes, it's tiring, but a "good tired"!...and no swirl marks!! :)

Once I figure out how to create a new sub-album in my photobucket account I will post up more photos. For now, I have posted up a few photos to present my little guy, "Midnight".

By the way, does anybody "really" keep the revs below 4500rpm for the 1200 mile break-in period? I'm easy on my cars, but that's laughable! ;)

Still under 100 miles, and still learning things about how everything works!

Cheers,

John
Congratulations John midnight is looking beautiful bet your over the moon with him :D:D

· Registered
608 Posts
Looking good John, and in answer to your question... "no".

In my humble, yet engineering based, opinion, run-in periods are pretty much old hat now and are there in the book for "legal reasons" more than mechanical reasons, but some things still need to be done.
Ideally you want the engine to feel all of it's performance variables during the run in period. So, majority, if you can, highway running, take him for a long drive, and input periods of high torque while keeping the rev's in check, this will load up the engine in the right way while all the temps are in tip top shape. Then you have gearbox bedding. Try to vary your 'box's load in all gears. This will let all the cogs shuffle about and give each other a good cuddle.

The reason why I think they're not really required any more is that for a proper run in, you should be on full mineral engine oil now, then at 1000miles, get a full filter and oil change with lovely synthetic oils, with a 10litre/2.5 gallon flush into the bargain. My Evo and I had to go through this rigmarole, but this was extracting 358bhp & 363ft/lb out of an aluminium blocked 2 litre, so I guess HKS had "cause"...

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking good John, and in answer to your question... "no".

In my humble, yet engineering based, opinion, run-in periods are pretty much old hat now and are there in the book for "legal reasons" more than mechanical reasons, but some things still need to be done.
Ideally you want the engine to feel all of it's performance variables during the run in period. So, majority, if you can, highway running, take him for a long drive, and input periods of high torque while keeping the rev's in check, this will load up the engine in the right way while all the temps are in tip top shape. Then you have gearbox bedding. Try to vary your 'box's load in all gears. This will let all the cogs shuffle about and give each other a good cuddle.

The reason why I think they're not really required any more is that for a proper run in, you should be on full mineral engine oil now, then at 1000miles, get a full filter and oil change with lovely synthetic oils, with a 10litre/2.5 gallon flush into the bargain. My Evo and I had to go through this rigmarole, but this was extracting 358bhp & 363ft/lb out of an aluminium blocked 2 litre, so I guess HKS had "cause"...
Thanks for your thoughts on break-in. My MA smiled and told me to "just keep it below redline"! He also told me that he believe that cars that aren't babied too much during break in tend to be stronger runners overall. I agree with that....but, I'm still kind of easy on my cars....I can "feel" when I pushing it too hard....that just not me. Problem with these cars is you really can push them "hard" and they love it! HA! I think they smile back at you!
:D

The oil change and filter at 1,000 miles is excellent advice though...dealer told me to one-year! That seemed a bit far fetched to me...I'm old school...3,000 miles tops, at least for my non-synthetic oil cars. I'll look into that.

Enjoy Hurbert II...btw, I like Hurbert I too....I almost bought an all black R56 JCW....but then decided to buy new, and I'm glad I did. This F56 is so much more aggressive looking imo.

John

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi John, welcome to the JCW and LED D/L club:)
Hope you are pleased with the fitting - Lamp covers next??
Only 1154 miles till it's bedded in:(
Love the LED Driving lights...I still don't understand why they don't just put the switch on the dash where the rear fog lamps switch is though...where the normal fog lamp switch goes.....I suppose it's easier to install the switch on the steering column...and some cars have fogs too. Just that on a JCW seems it that they could do it at the factory...that blank foglamp switch is just sitting there!

I don't like the lamp covers....it's too easy to scratch the black plastic when installing and removing. On my '76 BMW 2002 I have chrome Hellas....no scratching those babies!

· Registered
608 Posts
I don't like the lamp covers....it's too easy to scratch the black plastic when installing and removing. On my '76 BMW 2002 I have chrome Hellas....no scratching those babies!
I guess now you have the new boy, you wont be needing/have space for the 2002? I'll send you my address.. don't worry, I'll pay the shipping as it's a gift and everything.. :D

· Registered
457 Posts
Love the LED Driving lights...I still don't understand why they don't just put the switch on the dash where the rear fog lamps switch is though...where the normal fog lamp switch goes.....I suppose it's easier to install the switch on the steering column...and some cars have fogs too. Just that on a JCW seems it that they could do it at the factory...that blank foglamp switch is just sitting there!

I was thinking about covers but then again they get in the way if you need to flash main beam! Nice point about scratching.
Nice to see you've got a classic 2002 - don't tell me it's a tii. How do you think BMW's engineering compares between your 2 babies?
Agree with all the previous points on running in - just keep it running freely over the whole range - varied operation without labouring(the worst thing to do) Not that it affects you but I'm always conscious of how quick the auto changes in normal drive, so I vary it manually at times.

Have FUN>:D

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ooo! Now I am thinking if I should get those driving lamps. Only because it looks nice. Do they shine white like LED or are they the typical warm yellow?

OMG...BRIGHT White....would blind any deer on a back road for sure! And I mean REALLY bright! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.