Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi mate. You're better not using a brush like that as its not so much the bristles that cause scratching or swirling, it's the movement of dirt on the surface of your paint. By all means use the pressure washer but use a wash mitt to draw the grit away from the surface to dramatically reduce the scratching and swirling.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate. You're better not using a brush like that as its not so much the bristles that cause scratching or swirling, it's the movement of dirt on the surface of your paint. By all means use the pressure washer but use a wash mitt to draw the grit away from the surface to dramatically reduce the scratching and swirling.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Scotsman, the only one brave enough to reply to this. :laugh:

My Regular washing regime is as follows

First with pressure washer, wash off any dust/dirt
Using the foam soak-er on the washer, soak the car with washing foam.
Then i use a washing sponge normally to clean the car
Then I rinse soap off
Then i dry with chamois.

My intent is to use a brush instead at the sponge washing stage. You reckon the risk of dirt would be worse with a brush than a sponge?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm planning to get a Karcher pressure washer for cleaning my Mini (still another 10 days till I take delivery!), and was planning on getting the foam wash attachment. Some Karcher kits on sale here include a brush - though the ones I've seen are smaller than the one in your link, Ggoosen. I wouldn't want to use a brush on the paintwork, for the reasons that Scotsman has given, but I thought it might be useful for cleaning the wheels (I've seen that Mini sells a hand brush for this purpose). Does anyone know any reason why I shouldn't use the Karcher brush on my wheels at least?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm planning to get a Karcher pressure washer for cleaning my Mini (still another 10 days till I take delivery!), and was planning on getting the foam wash attachment. Some Karcher kits on sale here include a brush - though the ones I've seen are smaller than the one in your link, Ggoosen. I wouldn't want to use a brush on the paintwork, for the reasons that Scotsman has given, but I thought it might be useful for cleaning the wheels (I've seen that Mini sells a hand brush for this purpose). Does anyone know any reason why I shouldn't use the Karcher brush on my wheels at least?

You get a wheel washing brush, as well as other brushes

Infact these are what i have

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251440869824?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Karcher-...1281765766?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item43d1bf0586

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Karcher-...0841131305?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item43b77b7929

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, Karcher and other pressure washers are great for shifting the stubborn muck but I wouldn't use one with a brush on the paintwork as the grit collected on the bristles will scratch. :mad:

I know this for a fact, as I was lazy and used a pressure washer and brush on my company cars and they always ended up covered in fine swirls and scratches. I would also never use a sponge and leather to wash a car as the same scratching will happen.

Best option is a wash mitt and Meguiars or similar high absorbant cloth to dry. :D

If you've spent a load of cash on a car don't spoil it for a quick fix

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, Karcher and other pressure washers are great for shifting the stubborn muck but I wouldn't use one with a brush on the paintwork as the grit collected on the bristles will scratch. :mad:

I know this for a fact, as I was lazy and used a pressure washer and brush on my company cars and they always ended up covered in fine swirls and scratches. I would also never use a sponge and leather to wash a car as the same scratching will happen.

Best option is a wash mitt and Meguiars or similar high absorbant cloth to dry. :D

If you've spent a load of cash on a car don't spoil it for a quick fix

Something link this?

http://www.meguiars.com.au/wash-dry/lambswool-wash-mitt-with-bug-remover/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts