Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm in the process of speccing a new 3 door Cooper, and its a bewildering (and brilliant!) list of options and colour combinations.

My starter for ten question is wheels. UK standard spec comes with 15" Heli Spoke wheels. I've read through quite a lot of threads and have seen the whys and wherefores of larger wheels debated - but what about keeping the 15s to start with?

I played around with both the Victory and Loop spoke 16"s with the Chilli pack and neither of them seem to sing to me. Both look to have elements that protrude to the rim which would be easy to scrape. And I imagine the ride will be a bit more supple with more sidewall. So have any of you got experience with 15s and 16s as I've seen a few threads of people either upgrading their wheels or dropping a size for winter so how do they compare?

·
Registered
11 Posts
most people on this forum will not have had the joy of driving on 15s but I have - if you value ride quality, weight saving, economy and grip in winter conditions stick with them ... but like me you will want to upgrade for looks once you get the car

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have both 16" Victory as a summer set, and 15" Heli as a winter set. Personally I think the Victorys look better on the car, but I can't really tell the difference, e.g. in ride quality, when behind the wheel. The Victorys don't stick out further than the tyre wall, so I reckon if anything the Helis would be more prone to kerbing just because of the big flat spokes.

If you're thinking of going with the Chili pack then the 16" Victory spokes will be standard anyway.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't worry about kerbing the Heli spokes - my current Hyundai i30 sits on similar looking wheels and aside from a touch of scuff on the rim they look fine.

Wheels are an odd one for me. I think the F56 suits 17s but wouldn't want to go for so little side wall. Victory or Loop spoke both look fine, but don't look really any bigger than the Heli.

If you drive on both is there any difference you can perceive in ride quality?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just put my heli-spoke winter wheels back on today and I'd forgotten how much lighter they are than the victorys. The one thing that really annoys me is that the F56 doesn't come with a jack. When I part-ex'd my R56 the salesman suggested I just keep the jack from that, but I kind of felt bad about it, so didn't bother.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Fashion dictates larger wheels. Smaller wheels permit greater slip angles, allowing for a lot more turning force to be applied to the tread. If you can I would test drive both, if you can't then I would stick with the middle sizes, given that I am unaware of any suspension changes for the larger wheels. No complaints with the 16" on our Cooper.

F1 cars (currently) use 13s

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.