Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never done it before in my life with any other car key but had to be with this one $$$, one of my key fobs has gone for a quick dunk in a salt water chlorinated pool. I think I know the answer, fob doomed to fail in future. Probably too late now but can the fob be dismantled? to flush out or at least inspect if water penetrated(probably not that lucky). Any advice? Thanks Gordon:|

·
Registered
77 Posts
If your fob didn't go very deep and only for a brief time then it might still be good. Let it air dry in low humidity like near a heated vent or in sunlight for a couple of days before trying to use either the lock buttons or bring it near your Mini.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Rinse it out with distilled water, then let it dry. Its the salts in the water that cause the problems when it dries out
Yep. That's the ticket. Dismantle it and discard the battery and flush it well with distilled water. Then lay it out to air dry.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Thanks for all the tips, does anyone have any clues how to dismantle the fob?
Start by popping the back cover off and removing the battery. Then you can slide the big round part off. I've never had reason to dismantle mine completely, but once you have it this far it may be apparent. Once you let the salt/brackish water dry the corrosion has already begun. Hopefully you can remove the contaminates before they bridge pins on an IC/chip or tracks on the circuit board.

I think they show how to remove the case somewhere in this thread. Sorry I don't have the time to narrow it down to the right post.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-2014/264983-the-new-key-fob-for-the-f56.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm bringing back this thread

I go to the ocean at least once a week (surfing), normally I just leave the car open or lock the car and hide the keys inside the rims or something like that.

But sometimes I go surfing straight out of work, and on these occasions, I would like to lock the car since I could have some expensive or sensitive equipment in the trunk, like the laptop, exams, etc.

From this discussion is obvious that the key is not waterproof (but it should be right?, shouldn't be that hard), Anyway, have guys have found any practical solution for this issue?

Best

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm bringing back this thread

I go to the ocean at least once a week (surfing), normally I just leave the car open or lock the car and hide the keys inside the rims or something like that.

But sometimes I go surfing straight out of work, and on these occasions, I would like to lock the car since I could have some expensive or sensitive equipment in the trunk, like the laptop, exams, etc.

From this discussion is obvious that the key is not waterproof (but it should be right?, shouldn't be that hard), Anyway, have guys have found any practical solution for this issue?

Best
Waterproof pouches for this problem are available: Aquapac "Keymaster Waterproof Wallet (608): Amazon.co.uk: Luggage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.