Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, the key fob is too big. If you are like me and carry your keys in your pocket, then you quickly discovered that the current generation of Mini key fob is ridiculously annoyingly big.

Fortunately, there's an excellent solution! Just buy one of these things. I've had mine for 3 months and it's a HUGE improvement.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough posts yet to post a link. So you'll have to put it together (just remove the spaces):

h ttp ://www .shapeways .com/product/WKV35UNQB/key-fob-f56-minicar-rev-3

Attachments

· Registered
407 Posts
There's a couple posts on the forum here regarding these items. I have two in my home (the GF and I have ours color matched for our cars).

· Registered
495 Posts
You would think since the weight of the car has been scaled back from the previous generation,
they would have done that with the FOB too ? They went the other way with the FOB. Ridiculous.

· Registered
39 Posts
Wow, that is excellent! Thanks for posting. I'm absolutely getting one!

· Registered
407 Posts
You would think since the weight of the car has been scaled back from the previous generation,
they would have done that with the FOB too ? They went the other way with the FOB. Ridiculous.
The weight of the car was scaled back into the FOB

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
Seems i am the only one who prefers the original. I bought two for my keys but didnt like the texture of the plastic or the colour(the orange didnt match my volcanic orange) and they just made my keys feel cheap. Put the original back on! Just like our wonderfully unique car though its because you can that makes it so great and it would be dull if we all liked the same things!

Reactions: KYDan

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Seems i am the only one who prefers the original. I bought two for my keys but didnt like the texture of the plastic or the colour(the orange didnt match my volcanic orange) and they just made my keys feel cheap. Put the original back on! Just like our wonderfully unique car though its because you can that makes it so great and it would be dull if we all liked the same things!
I prefer the original, there's something about the modified one that just doesn't look OEM. Each to their own though, I wear spray on jeans and have yet to have had an issue with the size of the fob... Funnily enough - we have things called jacket pockets.

· Registered
39 Posts
I've always thought that push button (or toggle) start buttons were quite silly and have always preferred inserting a key and turning it. With no slot to hold the key, where the heck do you put it so it doesn't slide around when cornering? I can't stand keeping things in my pockets. This miniaturizing of the key fob creates a great solution. It fit perfectly into the door pull. And the little roughness to the new plastic cover provides just the right amount of friction to hold it in place no matter how crazy the driving gets. It couldn't be a better fit if it were designed specifically to fit there. I'd still greatly prefer a key that plugs into the dash, but this is a workable solution.

Attachments

· Registered
102 Posts
I prefer the original, there's something about the modified one that just doesn't look OEM. Each to their own though, I wear spray on jeans and have yet to have had an issue with the size of the fob... Funnily enough - we have things called jacket pockets.
In this part of the world I might wear a jacket 3 or 4 times a year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.