·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Oh no!

Is it down to bare metal or just the undercoat?

undercoat maybe a few hundred quid for one that sounds as big as that.

If its down to bare metal it may need sanding and respraying

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's a shame and terrible at a place you work, any pictures? Don't know anything about cost but how deep is, clear coat, into paint or beyond. There is the potential to fill and wet sand the paint flat and machine polish it, but if it's big or deep a re spray will prob look better

Saw this clever colour matching thing yesterday...

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=349236

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've never known any other car get keyed as much as Minis. My first one (Cooper) was keyed when I parked on the street in town (also subject to some food-related vandalism on another occasion), and my JCW had to be resprayed before I picked it up as it'd been keyed on the rear passenger-side panel. The dealer suggested it was just an encounter with a hedge but it was a definite deep key mark that needed some serious work.

Do they just attract morons, are people so jealous of Minis or do they really hate them that much?!

Keying makes me so angry. The person that does it gets nothing from it, it's not just an accident and it causes the victim loads of hassle, cost and disappointment.

Hope you can get it fixed without it costing you too much. I'm going to look at Direct Line when my insurance is up for renewal as over here in the UK they seem to offer pretty good vandalism cover (I think it doesn't affect no claims, although I'm not sure what excess applies- unless I have that the wrong way round!)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've posted some pictures up, not the best as the car is a little dirty and it's in the dark. I'm not sure how deep it has went, but it looks white after I rubbed off the resin with my finger.

Let me know if the pictures don't work!

·
Registered
177 Posts
It makes you question whether to repair it or not, there's nothing you can do to stop it happening!
I can completely understand your rationale on this, Ash92, and really sympathise, but I think on a brand new car that it would spoil my enjoyment too much to see the damage every day. This isn't a stone chip that you can pretty much forget about until the next time you wash the car: it's out and out vandalism, and you risk letting the idiot who did this win. Sure it will cost money to get it repaired, but after a while you will forget it happened. You can even get some fairly inexpensive colour matched touch up kits, if you want to have a go at doing it yourself.
Leaving it there will be a constant reminder, and if you decided later to have it repaired it might be more difficult .
There is the risk it might happen again, but I don't believe it's higher for you than anyone else.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm wondering whether or not I can claim the repairs from the MOD, as it happened on a secure military base.
You could try asking one of these "no win no fee" outfits that saturate the TV with their ads these days for a legal opinion whether it is worth pursuing or not.

I don't know if they give that sort of advice, I have never dealt with such people. Maybe the amount of money involved is not enough to interest them.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
Dreadful; same happened to my wifes new mini roadster s in retford carpark-looks as if someone put a handbag with big buckle on the boot and dragged it round-luckily only the top coat and after half an hour with t cut playing Russian roulette, it came out to the point you cant see it unless you really try! Might be worth a go, but chips away are a good bet!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Ash92,
So sorry to hear about your MINI being vandalised.

Sends a shudder down my spine.

With MINI's having such universal appeal and following I would have thought this would not be an issue for the brand?

I will never, ever understand what goes on in the minds of these vandals.

I hope you get a fix which is as new.
Best wishes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys.

I've been quoted £600 over the phone but it's still pending a visual inspection with mini.

Does anybody know of any seperate vandalism cover I could take out to cover me for this in the future?

·
Registered
280 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts