Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a problem with hitting the headlight switch with your knee getting in and out of the car? Maybe I am just too short and my seat is pulled up further than most. I do it all the time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am 5.6 and do not have that Problem because I have my Seat low to the Floor Board and far enough back to sit relaxed with my Arm reaching the Wheel. Just play around with the Seat and see if you find a good Position.

Here is some info that might explains it a little better.

http://www.drivingfast.net/track/driving-position.htm
It kind of looks like that driver wouldn't be able to see through the steering wheel and over the dashboard, so, you'll want to remain to be able to do that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am only 5'2, so being able to see over things is a goal in life. :D

I like to keep my headlights on the automatic setting and quite often I will realize I have hit the switch with my knee without even realizing it.

I don't keep my daytime running lights on all the time but I wish they came on with the headlights.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had an F56 loan car last week and found that I was always hitting my backside on the (sports) seat backrest bolster when getting in, leading me to worry about wear/scuff marks on it.

However it gave me a chance to use the cloth/leatherette seats and, apart from my disgust at so many cute little leatherettes having to give up their skins to make the seats, I was delighted to learn that I think they will be a good choice for an F57.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah, that's how the Nauga's were hunted to extinction for their hides.

I'm 5'8 and have been progressively adjusting my seat lower into the car over time. I've found an adjustment of one notch up/down, forward or backward can make a really huge difference in this car with what you feel, see, and kick. I've never hit the light switch, though. My problem was seeing the HUD. It seems the lower you go, the more centered the display gets. Before I started oozing lower into the car, I always felt the need to lean slightly to my left to keep the display in the center of the unit.

My problem is I keep kicking the raised part of the door frame getting out. Really have to swing my leg up to get over it, especially when I'm wearing my work boots.

·
Registered
216 Posts
PAMini, yes, at 5'4" I have the same problem, not all the time but it's something I have to be mindful of. I'm quite happy with my seat positions, so don't want to change them. Think it's something we shorties have to live with, but I think if we're not careful we could leave the lights on by mistake.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am 5'4 and I'm not having this problem.

My seat is set at the highest point and my distance from the steering wheel is such that I can comfortably rest my wrist on top of the wheel.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I am the shortest even among Mini drivers. I guess this will be the burden I carry. Keep checking the headlight switch because I am not getting any taller. If anything I will get shorter. :(

Seems like shoes I wear factor into this too, heels make me lift my leg higher to get out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Isn't a 'knee knocker' something that happens in the back seat, not the front?

Oh, I see - you mean you actually knock your knee....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:eek: Oh dear, that is actually in the Urban Dictionary when googled. Guess I need to study my slang more

I suppose I could just say I am having a knee knocker with Mr. Blue Sky on a regular basis. Then it is nothing to complain about.
>:D

·
Registered
283 Posts
My problem was seeing the HUD. It seems the lower you go, the more centered the display gets. Before I started oozing lower into the car, I always felt the need to lean slightly to my left to keep the display in the center of the unit.

I had a loan car last week with HUD and thought it wasn't working until I found that you can adjust the angle of the HUD screen by going into 'settings' so that the information is centred in the middle of the display.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My problem was seeing the HUD. It seems the lower you go, the more centered the display gets. Before I started oozing lower into the car, I always felt the need to lean slightly to my left to keep the display in the center of the unit.

I had a loan car last week with HUD and thought it wasn't working until I found that you can adjust the angle of the HUD screen by going into 'settings' so that the information is centred in the middle of the display.
Yes, you can adjust the HUD display up and down and you can adjust rotational orientation too... but you can't adjust left to right (which was my problem). And that's a head scratcher to me. Unless your cranium flops over to one side or you're an owl, I don't see the functionality of rotating the display around the center axis at all... I just don't see that many folks driving around with their head on their own shoulder (at least those that have built in hands free phones in their cars). Maybe I'm missing the point. But to have that function and no R/L adjustment... that's just odd to me. My assumption is that it would have been impractical to engineer L / R adjustment without re-engineering the entire unit, so they threw rotation in to have more than one adjustable parameter... I dunno. Maybe it IS for cell phone users...

What I do know is that adjusting the seat lower seems to center the display more R/L... and after years of driving my truck, I had my seating position waaaay too high for this car anyway ha.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My wife is 4' 11" and has no problem in our F56 Cooper.

There are several adjustments - seat height, seat angle, seat distance from steering wheel, and the wheel itself can be adjusted fore and aft, as well as up and down.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My wife is 4' 11" and has no problem in our F56 Cooper.

There are several adjustments - seat height, seat angle, seat distance from steering wheel, and the wheel itself can be adjusted fore and aft, as well as up and down.
Well other than this issue I have been happy with my seat while driving. I guess I can see if it would help to change something.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Technically .... things could happen in the front seat. But we probably shouldn't go there. I don't think there are enough seat adjustments to avoid all switches and buttons. No illustrated diagrams for that.

Strange how topics can take an unintended turn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts