Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I popped into my local mini garage and had a listen to the vis boost/sound system again and from what i can tell its ok till you turn it up.

Its loud but as soon as any bass comes in it really quietens down if you have the bass over the standard level, I can easily have the volume on max, is it supposed to be that?

You should be able to change the bass for the little woofers under the seats separatly to the door cards IMO.

I took a video to try and help

https://youtu.be/jG3Bbatl4tA

Thanks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Sorry...
A video in order to explain the audio?
And the audio of the video, how do you do record it? The position of the mobile and the quality of your mobile and its setting can cause...impredictable results.
And the quality of the music?64kbps MP3 ...or FLAC from CD?
The same than see the fantastic colors of one TV...on your tv...

In any case...is something more than a basic 25Wx4 sound system...depending on your ear can be "****", incredible,...something to cover the wife that talks....talks talks...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A video with audio??

You can

1 - Here the volume drop when the bass kicks in
2 - I'm turning the volume up to max and its really not that loud, is this the same for everybody else.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
F54 Clubby with visual boost; loving the sound, no drop in bass on increasing the volume and i definitely wouldnt want it on full; i am delighted with it and have come to the conclusion that spending 600 on the hk system would have , for me at least been better spent in my last mini on the full leather! No it;s not so focussed doesnt go quite so loud so well and there is a slight lack of bass clarity , and mid clarity and stereo image but in a car; it's really pretty darn good ! As you can tell having had both i am very happy with the vis boost system! Check re speed related volume control settings it might be messing stuff up and of course as a bove, your source is important!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
F54 Clubby with visual boost; loving the sound, no drop in bass on increasing the volume and i definitely wouldnt want it on full; i am delighted with it and have come to the conclusion that spending 600 on the hk system would have , for me at least been better spent in my last mini on the full leather! No it;s not so focussed doesnt go quite so loud so well and there is a slight lack of bass clarity , and mid clarity and stereo image but in a car; it's really pretty darn good ! As you can tell having had both i am very happy with the vis boost system! Check re speed related volume control settings it might be messing stuff up and of course as a bove, your source is important!

Must be something up with the settings then, I was using Bluetooth at the time but I've planned to put all my music on a USB stick and stick it on the hard drive.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
AHA you have the hard drive; lucky you; missing that in the clubby; might be a fault but ours plays spotify via bluetooth fine; there's a lot on here about the better the quality of the file the better the sound-probably applies to the vis boost. Dont forget to fiddle with the bass and treble; took me a while to get my liking! and there is some variation with volume that i put up with ie lower vol as i have it is a bit treble shy.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Now you say via Bluetooth, mine isn't great and I always use the cable which improves things no end or as you say stick it on the hard drive (which after a year I still haven't!)

It could be the clubman has different speakers although it would seem unlikely cost wise!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
True i didn't think of that; the speakers ie the fronts at least are in a different housing so may well be different, and they do seem to have tried to make the clubby a little more 'grown up'/refined/less sporty more gt -(and i dont mean this to disparage the f56/55-it's not necessarily a good thing-future post when i have had more experience of the car).

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the Medial XL Package, and if I was to order my MINI again tomorrow I would certainly tick the Harman Kardon option, it's the only thing I would change if I could.

The sound is OK with the current set-up, I just think the sound stage is just low down in the vehicle, i.e at leg/knee level. All my saved files are high bit rate, Spotify set to highest quality etc. I don't stream via Bluetooth, always use the iPhone cable, most of my music is played via the inbuilt HD or from USB stick. To my ear, playing from the HD has the better sound. I have played around with Bass/Treble settings too. I consider my hearing good, but the volume generally sits at 90-95% (less for DAB radio), I've never had to set it that high in other vehicles I have owned. As others have suggested, individual setting for the under seat Subs would probably help.

If there was an easy plug-and-play upgrade with minimal trim removal I'd be all ears (pardon the pun!).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds exactly like the experience I had in the one I sat in. Not gettting the HK is going to come round and bite me in the ass I think

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
You're right mjc soundstage i think is biggest difference between the hk and vis boost. Hk puts it beautifully central and the stereo image superb. Std can't quite match this but is fine by car stds just not concert hall. £600extra mmm not so sure.

Dave all minis have bass units under the front sests. Two. One per. The hk ones are upgraded in terms of quality. Put you right hand down to the floor and youcan feel see the metal cover.

Std f56 has mid in each front door bass under each front seat.

Vis boost adds rear passenger mid

Hk mid and tweeter each rear side, mid and tweeter front door and a pillar, bass under seat mid and tweeter top centre dash. 12 total plus 400 watt dsp amp!

Reactions: Davyboy

·
Registered
436 Posts
You're right mjc soundstage i think is biggest difference between the hk and vis boost. Hk puts it beautifully central and the stereo image superb. Std can't quite match this but is fine by car stds just not concert hall. £600extra mmm not so sure.

Dave all minis have bass units under the front sests. Two. One per. The hk ones are upgraded in terms of quality. Put you right hand down to the floor and youcan feel see the metal cover.

Hk mid and tweeter each rear side, mid and tweeter front door and a pillar, bass under seat mid and tweeter top centre dash. 12 total plus 400 watt dsp amp!

Can't wait for my HK!
I hope it's as good as your saying :)

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I liked it but some on here had doubts; needs time to run the speakers in careful adjustment bass and treble and a good source. HOWEVER i also like the std vis boost system in our clubman; i am very happy with it for a saving of £600! i used to run it at about 1/2 to 3/4 volume-need to crank it up!
Bonus is it looks really pretty too imo; the rear speakers look superb as do the a pillar tweeters!

I would say it wasn't far off my home system of mission floor standers and onkyo dolby atmos amp!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

Thanks Jeremy as I never knew this, next dry day I will be on my knees looking :D

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
i posted a photo of them on a thread somewhere, will have a look!

Reactions: Davyboy

·
Registered
966 Posts
Does nobody listen to the wireless anymore??? :D
Majority of my listening pleasure comes from the radio, and 50% is loud enough usually. The DAB signal on the BBC stations has improved in the last few months up here too which is a bonus.

When I use iTunes, it's through Bluetooth and I make sure the volume is cranked up on the phone, although it still needs a bit more on the car for the same output to my untrained ears.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Does nobody listen to the wireless anymore??? :D
Majority of my listening pleasure comes from the radio, and 50% is loud enough usually. The DAB signal on the BBC stations has improved in the last few months up here too which is a bonus.

pffft ... a'thing but Abs80s eh!!??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts