Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this discussed in detail anywhere, but if it has been please just head me in the right direction.

After ordering my new MINI, but waiting for the JCW manual trans...I have been reviewing things about this new Generation MINI, including looking at as many photos as possible.

The stock 17" wheel for the JCW (and likely the MCS as well) is 17"x7" fitted with 205/45/17 tires (at least that's what I ordered). The Track Spoke Wheel (which I thought I'd love) just seems to be undersized fitted with the stock size tires in comparison to the body style on these cars. Anyone else feel this way?

When you see a pic of the optional 18" x 7.5" Cup Wheels fitted with 205/40/ 18 tires on a JCW they look better in the wheel wells to me...maybe it's just me.

Regardless, the 205 width just seems to be undersized a bit....something more like 225/40/17 or 225/40/18 would look beefier and more proportional right?

What is the wisdom from those of you who have chosen to upgrade your wheel/tire combinations to look better and hug the road better? Fuel mileage and drag coefficients are not to be bothered with here! :) Remember, the front brake calipers on the JCW are huge, so clearance has absolutely got to be considered. I'm sure wheel offset is therefore critical.

Maybe this topic is a little early to dive into since these cars are so new, but I wouldn't think - at least for the JCW - that it would be all that different from the R56 JCW when it comes to analyzing optional wheel/tire fitments.

Thoughts on this topic are welcomed.

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just pondered this deeply on the configuratron and my conclusion is that... I'm not really tickled by any of the wheel options for the JCW. Of the wheels available, I think the 18 cup spoke looks the best... I think the JCW needs both the black (to make the calipers pop) and the flash. Not a huge fan of the pattern... those wheels they are putting on the 5 door would look pretty kickin' on a JCW... but maybe that's me (I love those wheels).

I think you're on to something with the 225 too, though. I'd really have to see one in the flesh... or... metal... to be able to decide for sure. The V-Spokes on mine have a much different vibe live than in pictures.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just pondered this deeply on the configuratron and my conclusion is that... I'm not really tickled by any of the wheel options for the JCW. Of the wheels available, I think the 18 cup spoke looks the best... I think the JCW needs both the black (to make the calipers pop) and the flash. Not a huge fan of the pattern... those wheels they are putting on the 5 door would look pretty kickin' on a JCW... but maybe that's me (I love those wheels).

I think you're on to something with the 225 too, though. I'd really have to see one in the flesh... or... metal... to be able to decide for sure. The V-Spokes on mine have a much different vibe live than in pictures.
I think you nailed it pretty good...on my wavelength! I mainly went for the JCW for the engine & brakes! Otherwise, I would have gone with the MCS for sure. The wheel choices are so much better IMO...I like just about any of them over the choices for the JCW...the 17" Silver Cosmos Spoke Wheels and the 18" Silver Cone Spoke Wheels are both really nice and very presentable for the classic MINI look! My favorite wheels are the 17" silver multi-spoke wheels that came on the R53 MCS....and this is why I went for the Silver Track Spoke Wheels on my JCW. I love that classic minilite wheel look! With an all black car I wanted to go for the silver wheels because black wheels is just too much black for me. Black multi-spoke looks awesome on VO! :) Black wheels do make the red Brembos pop though for sure!

The 18" Twin Spoke Black Burnished Wheel option for the Countryman come with 225/45/18 tires, just to solidify my argument for the 225mm tire size for the JCW....I really do not understand why that tire size isn't on the JCW...really perplexing!

If I ordered a MCS it would already be in production by now....instead I wait for the manual transmission on the JCW...I know I whine too much! But, darn it anyway, I finally make up my mind to jump at a new MINI and the "only" car I want is the one not being made yet! Sheesh! This is one reason this forum is therapy for those of us waiting or undecided on something.

I want to look further into the tire sizes though, as it really makes sense to me to run the 225's as replacement tires on either the MCS or the JCW. I'm sure the smaller the footprint of the rubber on the road with the 205's affects fuel mileage...not much, but enough to cause MINI to spec thinner tires maybe?

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I replace my runflats I'll be looking at 225s. I think a wider tire will look much better. Just wonder if they'll fit my wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I agree @o2fanatic. When I wash my car the tires from behind look very narrow. I think we all went thru thru the whining stage ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at doing Rivals - 225/50R16 on 16x7" rims. Does anybody have opinions on this? This is for an AutoX setup... Looks don't really matter. The section width is 9.2" and the tread width is 8.5". I hope they will fit!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking at doing Rivals - 225/50R16 on 16x7" rims. Does anybody have opinions on this? This is for an AutoX setup... Looks don't really matter. The section width is 9.2" and the tread width is 8.5". I hope they will fit!
Personally, I'd go with a 7.5" rim width for a 225mm tire. But it may be fine on a 7". I have 215/40/17's and 235/40/17's on another car with BBS wheels that are 8" wide...and the 215's are a wee bit stretched but not bad at all. So, there ya go. I believe a lot just depends on the style of both the wheel & the tire.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Can anyone confirm that 215 40 18 tyres on standard JCW OEM suspension on Cup Spokes definitely DON'T rub anywhere?

Also, if I replace the cup spokes with wheels that are 7.5 x 18, have the same distance to the struts but 12.5mm more poke, again with stock JCW suspension, any views on whether 215 40 18 tyres would rub?

·
Registered
303 Posts

Can anyone confirm that 215 40 18 tyres on standard JCW OEM suspension on Cup Spokes definitely DON'T rub anywhere?

Also, if I replace the cup spokes with wheels that are 7.5 x 18, have the same distance to the struts but 12.5mm more poke, again with stock JCW suspension, any views on whether 215 40 18 tyres would rub?
I put 215/40/18s on my Cup spokes and they fit fine with no rub. I have now lowered my JCW by 30mm and 12/15 mm spacers and still no rub.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

I put 215/40/18s on my Cup spokes and they fit fine with no rub. I have now lowered my JCW by 30mm and 12/15 mm spacers and still no rub.
Ha! I started this thread and as you all know my concerns, although early on in 2015, still apply as things haven't changed much! ;-)

That setup sounds about as good as you will get with the stock 7" wheel width.

I like the way the JCW wheels wrap the spokes close to the Brembo calipers, and when you apply spacers you lose that "look".

If only the stock wheels in both diameters were 7.5" like originally (but incorrectly) presented on the MINI configurator, we wouldn't have as much of a problem because 225's would fit them nicely & I'd just use spacers. The ET54 doesn't help either of course.

Until MINI changes the body style or adds fender flares (on the GP version maybe) we're stuck with this dilemma, except for the few wheels that are designed specifically for the JCW (like NM, TD, ACS)...and they weren't around in 2015.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I am running 215/40/18s Michelin Pilot Sport A/s 3+s on my 2016 F56 JCW with stock configuration and to-date with several hundred miles on them I have not experienced any rubbing or other issues. This has been mostly moderate driving as I have not been able to wring it out with them on it. I am finishing some projects around the place and I hope to do some hard runs soon to determine the viability of this size tire.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the guidance.

I've bought new 7.5 x 18 wheels for our JCW and am agonising over whether to fit them with 205 40 18 Pilot Super Sports, or 215 40 18 Pilot Sport 4, which are Michelin's replacements for the PSS. The extra width would be good I think and you've reassured me that this shouldn't rub. The speedo change from the change in circumference doesn't seem too much of an issue. I've had PSS on a car before, but anyone has the PS4s?

·
Registered
58 Posts
So....

Buz - what brand/model of 215 40 18 tyres have you got on your Cup Spokes that DON'T rub?

KYDan - when are you going to get a chance to 'test' your 215 40 18s more aggressively and could you report back if there is any rubbing?

I'd also be keen on your view on whether you're getting better grip with the wide tyres or is it really not noticeable?

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
If i could jump in as well, are people questioning if 215's will rub? I have had a look at some tyre shops and they say that 225's will fit the mini.

So if the 215's may rub then surely the 225's will.
I was looking at changing my stock 205's to 225 when they wear out so now im not so sure this is a good approach.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Based on everything else I've read on here Cessa, 225s will rub on the suspension strut without spacers, even though they will be pretty stretched on standard 7" wide Cup Spokes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New 225/4018 tires ;)

Hello guys
Greetings from Dubai

My service adviser told me that it is okay to put the 225/40/18 rather than going with the stock ones 205/40/18

I did find many options for the 225/40/18 and the price range is really good
I believe that they will look much better than the stock ones

looking for the best option "Michelin, Pirelli or Continental

Cheers

1 - 20 of 45 Posts