Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 MINI Cooper S
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my current rubber for an upcoming roadtrip through Mexico. I want as much rubber (height not width) as I can manage without rubbing. Anyone know how big I can go without running into issues?

Currently on OEM 17x7 10-spokes and the car is a stock 2016 Cooper S 2-door hardtop with the adjustable suspension if that makes a difference in ride height!

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is an unusual question, I hope someone else has the answer for you, but I suspect most would recommend dropping to a 16" wheel and tire combo for a taller sidewall while maintaining oem or near oem overall diameter. The Cooper S standard brakes should accommodate a 16" wheel. The oem run-flats have VERY stiff sidewalls, going with a regular tire would also make a big difference in ride comfort for less-than-ideal roads, if you haven't already done this. If I am misinterpreting your question and you are primarily looking for ride height, not more sidewall, I don't think there is much to be gained. I'd focus on sidewall.

·
Registered
2016 MINI Cooper S
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is an unusual question, I hope someone else has the answer for you, but I suspect most would recommend dropping to a 16" wheel and tire combo for a taller sidewall while maintaining oem or near oem overall diameter. The Cooper S standard brakes should accommodate a 16" wheel. The oem run-flats have VERY stiff sidewalls, going with a regular tire would also make a big difference in ride comfort for less-than-ideal roads, if you haven't already done this. If I am misinterpreting your question and you are primarily looking for ride height, not more sidewall, I don't think there is much to be gained. I'd focus on sidewall.
Thanks - I was hoping to achieve the greater sidewall without having to invest in smaller wheels, but I recognize that makes this a pretty weird ask.

My thoughts on taller tires was I could have the sidewall height and sacrifice the speedo accuracy a bit, and a tiny bump in overall ride height wouldn't be a downside either.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Factory tire size is 205/45-17, so if you want to achieve a taller sidewall without increasing the tire width, you could do a 205/50-17 or 205/55-17 tire. Keep in mind that enlarging the tire diameter will affect the speedometer (it will slow it down). Now, the speedometers in these cars read a couple MPH slow from the factory, so increasing the diameter a bit over a factory tire size actually helps in that regard (I've done so by fitting 215/45-17 tires on my OE 17" wheels). I can't recall anyone increasing just the tire sidewall aspect ratio without also increasing the tire width, but I don't think you'll run into any issues so long as you don't go crazy with the upsizing. I know that I cannot go any wider on my car or the tire will rub the strut, but I hadn't thought about going "taller" without going wider.

Also, are you in Colombia?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Watch out with 205/50 and 205/55 tyres. They are wider than the standard 205/45 tyres due to the more "balloon" type construction.
Check the Continental technical databook for example.
Using 7Jx17 Rims, the maximum typre width is:
205/45x17: 214mm
215/45x17: 222mm
205/50x17: 228mm
225/45x17: 229mm
So, the 205/50 typre can be wider than the 215/45 and almost as wide as the 225/45 on the same 7J Rim.
I would not be surprised if this is just too much without spacers.
Anybody experience with 225/45 or 205/50 on the standard rim ?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Watch out with 205/50 and 205/55 tyres. They are wider than the standard 205/45 tyres due to the more "balloon" type construction.
Check the Continental technical databook for example.
Using 7Jx17 Rims, the maximum typre width is:
205/45x17: 214mm
215/45x17: 222mm
205/50x17: 228mm
225/45x17: 229mm
So, the 205/50 typre can be wider than the 215/45 and almost as wide as the 225/45 on the same 7J Rim.
I would not be surprised if this is just too much without spacers.
Anybody experience with 225/45 or 205/50 on the standard rim ?
I run 205/55-16 Michelin AS4’s during the colder months without issue in MINI 16” wheels (same offset as MINI 17” wheels). Not sure if this correlates at all to your notes on 17” tire combinations. My summer tires are 215/45-17 on MINI 17” wheels without issue. Of note, the Countryman and Clubman wheels have a different offset compared to the F55/56/57 wheels (even though the designs are shared on some wheels).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts