Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could do with some advice on this please...

I have a 2015 MCS with Sports Automatic gear box and mini driving modes.

I've read the steps on how to engage the Launch Control but am so far unsuccessful.

This is what I have tried...

• While at a stand still press the DSC button once to enable Traction Control.
  • Place the drive mode in Sport and press the shifter to the right / left to enable sports automatic.
  • Slam down your left foot on the brake
  • Slam your right foot on the accelerator past the overboost.
  • A chequered flag appears. Release break and boom. Launch Control....

However for me to slam my foot on the break means I have to lift my foot off the break, causing the car to move forward as the ignition is running and in drive mode.

However the video I watched the guy doing the launch control didn't have his foot on the break at all (you can see his foot moving to place it down) and his car wasn't moving forward

Does anyone have any successful steps to get this working?

Thanks,

·
Registered
646 Posts
Have you had the car from new? I read that they are limited to 100 times and that's it, you're out! Could be that if you bought it used?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
1. Shift the gear selector to sport automatic (down to D and left to M/S)
2. Engage sport mode
3. Engage DTC
4. Left foot on brake
5. Right foot on accelerator and press all the way down past overboots
6. Checkered flat should appear in the speedometer
7. You have 3 seconds to release the brake and launch

If this does not work check with the dealership to have them test the vehicle.

·
Registered
508 Posts
When I learnt to drive, my dad had a Rover P5B - the old grandad Rover with a Buick V8 in it - probably the greatest production 'sleeper' ever.

On a deserted Scottish road, I showed my mother (who liked a bit of performance) how to hold the car briefly on the brakes with the left foot while flooring the throttle with the right. This resulted in a certain amount of screaming and a healthy dose of tyre smoke as the car took off rather quicker than a scalded cat. All credit to my mother, she never actually lifted off, just kept screaming......

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. Shift the gear selector to sport automatic (down to D and left to M/S)
2. Engage sport mode
3. Engage DTC
4. Left foot on brake
5. Right foot on accelerator and press all the way down past overboots
6. Checkered flat should appear in the speedometer
7. You have 3 seconds to release the brake and launch

If this does not work check with the dealership to have them test the vehicle.
How do you stop the car moving forward before your left foot is on the brake?

I follow the step then tried pressing the accelerator while the break was on and the car tried to leap forward with the breaks on!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Have you tried holding the brake lightly as normal before selecting M/S then press hard before flooring the throttle?
I may be wrong but isn't the guy in the vid clip changing gear with the paddles after using launch control........waste of time!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried holding the brake lightly as normal before selecting M/S then press hard before flooring the throttle?
I may be wrong but isn't the guy in the vid clip changing gear with the paddles after using launch control........waste of time!!!
I'll try it.. I'm terrified of flooring the trottle while the break is on and damaging the discs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've done it multiple times as per the video, but personally I don't think it's any quicker than holding the brake and gas pedal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've done it multiple times as per the video, but personally I don't think it's any quicker than holding the brake and gas pedal.
how do you hold the break and gas pedal? the wheels are trying to turn while the break is engaged..

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Do you have DTC on or are you turning everything off? Launch Control will only work in DTC mode (instrument gauge will say "TRACTION").

Car has to be past it's break in point (>1200 miles) - you said your car is only 2 months old. I'm willing to bet it hasn't been broken in yet.

Transmission has to be warmed up - LC won't work on a cold transmission.

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have DTC on or are you turning everything off? Launch Control will only work in DTC mode (instrument gauge will say "TRACTION").

Car has to be past it's break in point (>1200 miles) - you said your car is only 2 months old. I'm willing to bet it hasn't been broken in yet.

Transmission has to be warmed up - LC won't work on a cold transmission.
Currently at 1100 miles, didnt realise it would be a software limitation. Will wait and see.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I've yet to try it on my Cooper SD but have seen a few videos online of it working so I'll try it once I've driven past this mileage threshold... just below 900 at the minute, just a month old.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Bear in mind that it is recommended not to use Launch Control until around 2000 miles,not just 1200 like the normal bedding in period. You will also need a notebook to keep track of remaining launches:laugh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts