Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added Carbon Black Leather when I ordered my F56S. It cost about £590 on top of the Chili Pack. (Without Chili, adding Leather will cost £1075.)

On the configurator, it says leather. On the order documentation paperwork, it says leather.

Have I actually got Leather? Or Leatherette?

I ask because when I was cleaning in the back, I noticed the seat back pocket does look very artificial.

I'd feel a bit short-changed if I've actually got synthetic seats. i.e. vinyl.

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
I have the diamond cloth, leather seat bases. As you say if it is real and I am sure they aren't allowed to put that if it's not then it's cheap but the y really economize so the seat back pockets on any leather seat are usually vinyl. My father in law had a Hyundai with leather seats and when you read the small print the only leather were the seat facings. The rest was vinyl but you'd never know it was so well matched. My mr2 had leather but it was less like leather than his vinyl !!!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
my understanding is that the only leatherette is on the pearl (tweedy type) sport seat option. I have it in mine and it's very realistic - I think I prefer it to leather as it is softer but that's personal preference I guess.

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
Advertisement
Home / Interesting / Car Tips / Leather vs Leatherette – What would you choose?
Leather vs Leatherette – What would you choose?
Car Tips | February 4th, 2009 by Horatiu Boeriu 76
leather1 Leather vs Leatherette What would you choose?
How many of you have been facing this decision: leather vs leatherette in your BMW. I have always been debating between the two options, or …

How many of you have been facing this decision: leather vs leatherette in your BMW. I have always been debating between the two options, or most recently, cloth. Each time, I ended up choosing leatherette before leather due to several factors: cheaper, I was leasing the car for two or three years and last, my significant other, is against leather products.

But before we go into the pros and cons of the two interior options, I want to let you know that we will not turn this conversation into an ethical one and an animal welfare topic. I completely understand everyone’s point of view, but this article is not about that.

leather1 498x331 Leather vs Leatherette What would you choose?

Leather

Advantages

a higher resale value for your car
it “breathes” better
it becomes softer as time goes by
it’s a clear indication of luxury in a car
a unique smell, pleasant for many
more color options and types of leather
Disadvantages

more expensive
wears out faster
the maintenance on it is costly and time consuming
not the best choice if you own a pet
it scratches easier
it cracks faster
it feels colder in the winter
leatherette11 498x486 Leather vs Leatherette What would you choose?

Leatherette

Advantages:

cheaper
almost same look as leather
wears better and can be kept in perfect shape for many years
easier to clean and maintain, wiping it down with water it’s enough sometimes
no need to worry about resale value, only if you’re leasing the car
pets friendly, not easy to scratch or crack
BMW’s leatherette is one of the best out there
Disadvantages

it doesn’t feel as good as leather
in the heat of summer, it feels somewhat rubbery and sticky
no resale value
considered a downgrade by many luxury cars consumers
Anything else that I have missed? What did you order and why?

TAGS: leather, leatherette

PREVIOUS POST
Car Leasing Tips
NEXT POST
Spy Photos: 2009 Alpina B7
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
Leather vs Leatherette in a BMW
How many of you were faced with this decision: leather vs leatherette in your BMW. I know I was, and it seems like everytime I …

Top stories
Editor's Pick
01 B Class Electric Drive NEW 2 120x120 Mercedes to use Tesla tech to compete with BMW i
BMW i | Nov 6, 2014Mercedes to use Tesla tech to compete with BMW i
Despite selling its Tesla stock, Mercedes-Benz continues to use the Tesla technology under the hood of their electric cars. Mercedes put an electric motor and …
MULGARI GrancoupeSV 8 120x120 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe SV tuned by Mulgari
Tuning | Nov 6, 2014BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe SV tuned by Mulgari
This Alpine White BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe has been modified by Mulgari Automotive, a British automobile tuning company.
2015 bmw m4 coupe austin yellow images 01 120x120 2015 BMW M4 Coupe Austin Yellow Photoshoot
BMW M4 | Nov 6, 20142015 BMW M4 Coupe Austin Yellow – Photoshoot
Getting behind the wheel of the new BMW M4 Coupe is something no one can’t pass on, and this year, we’ve been fortunate enough to …

Used BMW Parts 125 125 125 125 Endurance Warranty

Find us on Facebook

BMWBLOG
Sections
Auto Shows BMW European Delivery Interesting MINI Models Motorrad News Racing Rolls Royce Rumors Spy Photos Test Drives Tuning Videos
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2013 BMWBLOG.com. All rights reserved. About Advertise with us Contact Privacy Policy. Design by WP-design
BMWBLOG @
NEWSLETTER

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently work for MINI and BMW Group and you will find most manufacturers will advertise there seats as leather but they are actually artificial. apparently this isn't an infringement as you can advertise leather even if it's synthetic but you can't call it real leather hence no price difference for half leather or the leatherette option with a chilli pack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.