Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find a thread about, so I decided to buy one set and check. As many of you mentioned, there is no easy way to retrofit LED headlamps to halogen car. I found however offers on aliexpress, so a friend in Singapore ordered them for me from Malaysia. I believe they all come from one or two Chinese factories.

WARNING: Be aware that dependently which country is your home, that retrofit will be probably a violation of traffic laws. Those headlamps to my knowledge are not homologated in US and EU for public road use. It may be a problem during tech registration check (MOT, TUV, etc).

IMPORTANT:

1) As discussed with different aliexpress sellers they fit only halogen cars and are supposed to be plug'n'play.

2) They should cost 600-700 USD, but check always shipping cost. In most countries you will be charged also VAT and duty when importing from China. I didn't saw offers with shipping from EU or US.

3) It's important to check with the seller if it's US, ECE or RHD version. Keep in mind that they sell also two types of led ring. First option is white with orange turn signal. Second is fancy rainbow led ring (no idea how it can be controlled).

4) In relation to rainbow effect, you WILL NOT GET any install or user manual. You are on your own. As led rings work as DRL, you have to hook them up with fog lights which give DRL signal.

5) They are chinese. A copy of original, but nobody guarantee any quality. My set arrived with one cable broken (simple soldering repair) and one electronic component loose (they used some double side sticky tape, I repaired with flex glue). There is an extended 12 months guarantee, but again - chinese. So you are on your own.

6) If anything fail, the lamps are glued with permanent glue. You can't heat and open them to fix. You can cut and try. I don't know how long they will last during normal driving conditions, but I will test that as well.

I will follow this thread with install evidence and more information once my car will be back in my hands.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Short update, as it's still unfinished project.

I almost thought that the story will be short as one lamp was not working properly during installation. It was a mess to find out the problem as I was replacing the fog/drl lamps at the same time, so each side had w pieces of wiring harness added (one from headlamp, second from fog lamp).

After swapping the components between sides I realized that Chinese manufacturer packed two different cable sets, so I had to cut and solder the wrong one.

Sleeve Grey Collar Dress shirt Denim

And finally, they are alive!
Moreover, they decided to ship the rainbow ring type, even if I specifically ordered white only. Maybe some sort of a joke, I don't know. They make multicolor cycle when on. I hope they don't do that during a drive 😎

1 - 2 of 2 Posts