Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked into upgrading their base headlights to the new LED cornering lights? I have seen them for sale on ebay, but my question is - Do they require special wiring, or do they plug n play?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Probably not possible, you also need to consider:

- new interior switch with no beam adjustment dial
- axle angle sensor and wiring
- suspension compression sensor and wiring
- steering yaw sensor and wiring

There's probably an ECU coding requirement too.

·
Registered
F57 Sidewalk Edition Cooper S
46 Posts
btw, I ordered my Mini with no fogs ligths but with leds headlights thinking that the position lights will be leds but what is my surprise that the position ligths are not led, anyone know the type of the light and if is possible to change. In my lights are a empty hole for the cornering lights I suppose.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Where have you been, Profiteroles? I am sure it isn't just me who has missed your technical responses that look like they are in English, but you have to read them a couple times to be sure! :D
Been enjoying the second MINI! :D

In terms of the technical responses - son of an engineer here! You pick up a few things!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Probably not possible, you also need to consider:

- new interior switch with no beam adjustment dial
- axle angle sensor and wiring
- suspension compression sensor and wiring
- steering yaw sensor and wiring

There's probably an ECU coding requirement too.
Profitroles, how did you find that info? Is there a technical reference you can point me to? Or did you reverse-engineer realoem.com?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you look at the different parts between the halogen and LED, you will find there is quite a difference and the canbus/computer will be looking for something else and give you error codes.....so there probably is a computer update if this is done.

Also, look at the prices and it isn't cost effective.

I have halogen on my 2014 MCS, I have found that I could replace the DRL with LED bulb and it works w/o a problem. Change the fog light bulb to LED and got error. Ordered a resistor pack that is supposed to solve the problem and when it gets here....we shall see if it works.

Also found a what was advertised as a high/low beam LED h4 bulb (headlight) and ordered them....supposedly they are canbus compatible.....we shall see.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Profitroles, how did you find that info? Is there a technical reference you can point me to? Or did you reverse-engineer realoem.com?

Reverse engineered realoem.

Look at the front suspension diagram and steering diagram!

EDIT: just checked and it appears no steering sensor. Wonder how it knows the angle to bend the beam!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Reverse engineered realoem.

Look at the front suspension diagram and steering diagram!

EDIT: just checked and it appears no steering sensor. Wonder how it knows the angle to bend the beam!
I'm guessing it would be the axle yaw sensor. It's probably proportional to rate about the vertical axis; tighter corner, more light movement.

I think you're right. Not an easy retrofit, for sure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi there Profiteroles

sorry minding you over here on this but, as you're the 'son of the engineer man' ;)

Looked around here and everywhere but it is all still puzzling me:
do u know if the full led adaptive package has both cornering and [real] adaptive lights
or is it that when Mini announces led adaptive they're just overstating the cornering feature?

Sorry for the hassle but the thing is I'm really expecting that it is full adaptive i.e. that when driving through bends lights turn 'in sync' with the driving wheel and not just when I'm parking or taking a turn on a cross...

Anyway, tomorrow I'll have the car - aleluia - so I'll sort it out; but if it disappoints me then I'll sure protest with dealership for not putting it plain and clear (he had to go and 'study' it...it seems i was first client to ask for the adaptive pack...go guess...)

Txs

·
Registered
307 Posts
Cant really see the point of adaptive cornering lights.. The Lights are good enough.

Just looks odd when you see an oncoming car with one fog light lit as it turns the corner!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cant really see the point of adaptive cornering lights.. The Lights are good enough.

Just looks odd when you see an oncoming car with one fog light lit as it turns the corner!
Well, I drive a lot by night and through "heavily bended roads" (!?) with no public lighting. So - not since the citroen ds, wasn't yet born! - since all the hype with adaptive lights started I made my head so to have it in my car.

I guess it's a matter of liking it or not for one to have the road better 'revealed' (even though I pretty much know it by heart!)

If I had the bucks I would have gone also for the package that got automatic max turned on and off in case of there's a car running on the other lane.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi there Profiteroles

sorry minding you over here on this but, as you're the 'son of the engineer man' ;)

Looked around here and everywhere but it is all still puzzling me:
do u know if the full led adaptive package has both cornering and [real] adaptive lights
or is it that when Mini announces led adaptive they're just overstating the cornering feature?

Sorry for the hassle but the thing is I'm really expecting that it is full adaptive i.e. that when driving through bends lights turn 'in sync' with the driving wheel and not just when I'm parking or taking a turn on a cross...

Anyway, tomorrow I'll have the car - aleluia - so I'll sort it out; but if it disappoints me then I'll sure protest with dealership for not putting it plain and clear (he had to go and 'study' it...it seems i was first client to ask for the adaptive pack...go guess...)

Txs

Although I can't speak from experience as I only have non-cornering LEDs, I am guessing the cornering LED lights feature a horizontal and vertical swivelling projector lens, so the beams themselves bend. That's why they are called "extended scopes"

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've seen a technical description of the adaptive LED lights that suggests that at high speed the dipped beam is given a 'longer throw' - for example, to improve visibility on dipped beam on motorways.

The Danish options specification says for 'LED headlights with extended contents' also says:

adaptive LED light distribution (e.g. city light distribution with more illumination to the sides, by activation of the dimmed LED cornering lights).

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
I too have to say I'm really not fussed and I hate those goofs whose floodlights light up as you corner. Could mistake them . For a flash or indication.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, as i just picked up the Mini adn came home already by night had a tinh chance to learn how it goes and...hmmm...maybe i was too much ecstatic and didnt give enough atention but...honestly i noticed a flood of light on the road side when i was curving, for sure, though about front projection it didnt seem that much a huge difference.
But, in fact, came through well lit roads with public lighting so not the real test. tomorrow i'll have the chance for that. And then i'll post about it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 32 Posts