Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We have had a F55 from new and specified it with the LED DRL and headlights.

We had a problem whilst driving with the lights randomly adjusting themselves to shine up by about 5 degrees. This blinded other drivers and illuminated the gantry's on the M25 but not the road. We took it into our local dealer who couldn't find a problem and manually adjusted the lights to the correct downward angle. The colour fringing seemed a little different and the appearance didn't seem the same, but we went with it.

The lights still don't seem right to the point that at 60mph on unlit roads, there is only about 10 - 14m of illumination and then the purple fringed sharp cut-off. From a very simple home check, I estimate the lights angle down about 3 degrees. When on main beam there are some yellow areas.

My questions are:
- If I go to a MOT garage, can they accurately measure the angles?
- Has anyone else experienced issued with the LED lights? Do you think they are better or not than a car with conventional lights?

Thanks,

Stuart

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
1. Don't know what a MOT garage is, so can't help you there.

2. My LED headlights have performed flawlessly since I got the car last year. There is a little "prism" effect at the cutoff, but I can live with that.

3. LED are head and shoulders above the standard halogen lights. A "must have" option IMO.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Gee vetsvette don't you know what MOT is?...do you ever watch Wheeler Dealers? ;-)

It's what the Brits have to go through with their cars similar to our State Inspection here in the USA.

I would think the dealer would have a headlight alignment machine to set the LEDs proper!

In my old BMW 2002 manuals they have the headlight alignment procedure in the Owner's Manual!

Such is progress! LOL!

Good luck to the OP in getting it sorted.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
152 Posts
I suspect that the head lights were perfect in the beginning and fixing them whike they were not broken actually broke them.

As far as i know these light auto adjust hieght etc. and adaptive lights should auto highbeam where its ok to do so.

My best reference for light height is pointing the car towards a wall. And if the light ming area top edge is about the belt line then its good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,876 Posts
I agree something is wrong here nowatleast. You need a mini dealer to sort this as the LEDs should give great night vision.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I don't think anything was wrong with your lights in the first instance, they are meant to automatically adjust to the road surface and angle you are travelling at in order to illuminate as much of the road as safely as possible - just like most of the Xenon light packages do, if you've had a car with Xenon specified previously.

Mine have worked perfectly since I picked her up, brand new from the factory - I must say I've had the odd driver flash me when I've driven over a hill or undulation in the road as they think I've got high-beam on.. However this is just how auto-levelling lights work, they aren't fast moving to automatically level and they don't adjust for every centimetre of the road either. I notice when I pull up to a set of traffic lights behind a car at night, my lights slowly creep down the back of the car in front as they level out - this is normal and how they should function.

Unless your lights were pointing to the sky and you couldn't see a difference between low and high beam then I'd say there was nothing wrong in the first place and your dealer has adjusted them incorrectly.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I suspect it was the crap road surfaces giving this flashing effect, the adjusts just can't keep up with road surfaces.

Secondly it sounds like the dealer has cocked something up good and proper!

Mine have been perfect and without issues :)

Just a note, MOT test centre should have the equipment as it's part of the test to check hights..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey guys! Quick question about the headlights. My car is equipped with LED DRL ring and headlights. On my US spec vehicle, the left seems to be a bit higher than the right one. When you park your car in front of a wall, do your low beams seem to be at the same height or one of them is higher? Picture would be great!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine is at the same height but sometimes the dealer adjust the passenger’s side to be higher...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys! Quick question about the headlights. My car is equipped with LED DRL ring and headlights. On my US spec vehicle, the left seems to be a bit higher than the right one. When you park your car in front of a wall, do your low beams seem to be at the same height or one of them is higher? Picture would be great!
Mine came high and uneven so I lowered and leveled them, it's extremely easy. I found a white wall and did a few test drives, they obviously need to not blind others. :p

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine came high and uneven so I lowered and leveled them, it's extremely easy. I found a white wall and did a few test drives, they obviously need to not blind others. :p
I was thinking to make the passenger side a bit higher so it would be level with the left side. Here is interesting thing: when I park my car against the wall that is about 2 meters away, the lights are almost at the same level, which is good. If I move a bit farther from the wall to about 3 or so meters, then the passenger side seems a bit lower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts