Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering if there's any model of Driving Lamps that are actually LED (I take it the norm is that they are Halogen)...

http://mini.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Exterior/F56-2014/6854.html

What I gather from this is that the bottom 2, just come with a box that enables them to be connected to the LED light/electrical system if you've specced the car with LED headlamps (correct me if I'm wrong)

That's my case... I have LED headlamps coming, but I'd like the colour temperature of the Driving Lamps to match them as it'd look much better in my opinion.

Anyone has any info on this?

·
Registered
187 Posts
It certainly looks a trifle ambiguous.
It doesn't say if it's the bulb they are talking about - so the driving lamp beam matches the car headlight beam; OR the set up they are talking about - as the LEDs use significantly less power than the Halogens and whether that has any bearing on the switching or the powering of the driving lamps.

I wish I could help you out but I am as uncertain as you.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes, it looks like the reference to LED headlamps is because if the F56 has LED headlamps, a "supplementary kit, interface" (item 4) is required. That is probably to get the power from the high beam circuit without making the car think there's something wrong with the LED headlamps.

See F56, Installing set additional headlight

I expect if you are really set on LED driving lamps, you'll have to buy this kit (to get the right connections and mounting brackets) and then also buy some LED driving lamps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The reply, I think they might have gotten the wrong end of the stick or I wasn't very clear. However, very polite of them to reply when they are in Texas and we are in dear little Blighty.....

Hi Cameron,

The LED Headlamp option we are referring to is whether or not your MINI is equipped with LED Headlamps or not. The Driving Lamp kit has different components in it depending on this option. The Driving Lamps themselves look the same either way. If you can supply us with your VIN (vehicle identification number) we can see what Head Lamp option your car has and assist you in selecting the correct Driving Lamp kit.

If you have any more questions let us know.

Joe McPherson | Assistant Parts Manager

MINI of Plano
1645 Dallas Parkway, Plano, TX 75093
972.588.7570 (w)| 972.588.7430 (f)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys...

So yes, it looks like it is how i suspected... they're always halogens, you just need the 'supplementary interface' if you want to install them when your car is specced with LED headlamps... :p

I find it kind of strange that they haven't manufactured LED Driving Lamps, less power consumption and matches perfectly with the LED headlamps. Perhaps it's just a matter of time, or at least I hope so...

There's probably some LED Driving Lights that have been made for previous MINI models, however it's probably not so simple to install them, as you'll need the brackets and more importantly that "supplementary interface" to be able to power them.

If anyone can come up with a solution, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in this, so please share... :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
I find it kind of strange that they haven't manufactured LED Driving Lamps, less power consumption and matches perfectly with the LED headlamps. Perhaps it's just a matter of time, or at least I hope so...
At about $1,000 for LED headlamps, which will probably have a reasonable volume, LED driving lights would probably be a similar price, so Mini would sell a total of maybe two sets worldwide? They're not going to bother, are they?

I suspect most owners with driving lights want the look much more than they want the function - but then your concern seems mainly about their (lit) appearance/colour, and they are only lit with main beam headlamps, so who's going to see the colour?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I get what you're saying Angib... But still, I don't believe manufacturing LED driving lights would be so costly... especially because the power is much lower and they're just meant to offer some kind of support to the headlamps.

I agree with you it's mostly for the looks that you'd want them installed... the thing is that I do notice when a car's light has 2 different colour temperatures (daytime running lights/headlamps/fog lights), just saw this a couple of times today on the road and I'm not a fan of how it looks. Just makes me think one set of lights is of less quality than the other if they're installed on the same car. In the case of the current driving lamps installed on a MINI with LED headlamps, it makes them look a bit like you bought the cheap aftermarket option, rather than the proper ones designed for the car...

Anyways, thats my personal opinion and I'm pretty sure they'll release them eventually. Just seems that it's a matter of waiting!

·
Registered
38 Posts
i just spent 1000 on mines, ill be posting pics when there installed, they are supossed to arrive in 20 days, hope they look as good as i imagine, :p

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Tell me about it. I had to educate mine about the tpms system. We had a cabriolet and the extra boot space was unknown to our dealer. Product knowledge is the key to selling good job the cars sell themselves!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts