Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around for some spot lamps to fit to the front of the JCW but would much prefer the LED versions rather than halogens, I have found the halogens online but can't seem to find the LED versions, has anyone seen any online or does this look like it'll be an expensive trip to the dealership??

I have also seen that you may require an additional wiring adapter if you're fitting these to a car with the LED headlights fitted but cannot find any information on this either, does anyone know anything about this adapter and whether it comes as a complete kit from Mini or any other suppliers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been looking around for some spot lamps to fit to the front of the JCW but would much prefer the LED versions rather than halogens, I have found the halogens online but can't seem to find the LED versions, has anyone seen any online or does this look like it'll be an expensive trip to the dealership??

I have also seen that you may require an additional wiring adapter if you're fitting these to a car with the LED headlights fitted but cannot find any information on this either, does anyone know anything about this adapter and whether it comes as a complete kit from Mini or any other suppliers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
I cannot give you a highly detailed answer other than I ordered these as a dealer fit option for my JCW (with dynamic LED's) when it gets delivered later in September (I hope).
I ordered from the Mini Accessories book the LED grill mounted driving lamps with black surrounds. Apparently come wired to come on with the main beam. They were pretty pricey if I remember.

Not sure this helps you too much though !

·
Registered
763 Posts
The driving lights come Chrome or Black.
Here are the part numbers from MINI:

LED Driving Lights/ Chrome- 63122288981
LED Driving Lights/ Black - 63122288982

These include:
2 x Main Chrome LED light fixtures
2 x Cover caps
Retrofit cable
Chang-over module

You will also need:
Driving Lights Switch / Basic - 51452355772
Grille Mounting Bracket / Cooper - 63122355769
Interface Retrofit - 63122284922

Reactions: James-B93

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The driving lights come Chrome or Black.
Here are the part numbers from MINI:

LED Driving Lights/ Chrome- 63122288981
LED Driving Lights/ Black - 63122288982

These include:
2 x Main Chrome LED light fixtures
2 x Cover caps
Retrofit cable
Chang-over module

You will also need:
Driving Lights Switch / Basic - 51452355772
Grille Mounting Bracket / Cooper - 63122355769
Interface Retrofit - 63122284922
Perfect thanks a lot for your help!

Just out of curiosity what does the switch (51452355772) and the interface (63122284922) do? Does this allow you to switch the driving lights on seperately from the full beam?

·
Registered
120 Posts
My dealer promissed me a good price for the kit 4 months ago... Still no word. Where I'm from the OEM price for the kit is 730 € + mounting (+-200 € they say). A good price would be 600 €. I don't think I'll get them if they come more expensive... So, I'm looking online for a good price also.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must admit I'm a bit shocked at what it would cost just in parts! If it is just a simple plug & play kit once you have all the parts then I'll crack on and spread the buying out over a little while but if there's coding/splicing and joining of stuff then I'll just leave it because I couldn't justify the price that dealerships would charge!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just out of curiosity what does the switch (51452355772) and the interface (63122284922) do? Does this allow you to switch the driving lights on separately from the full beam?
I believe the switch allows you to turn them on independently of the high beams, but someone that has these will have to chime in. No idea what the interface does, it has something to do with the communication between the lights and car.

Reactions: James-B93

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm thinking a couple of big torches gaffa tapped to dash top will be better value
£200 fitted is top line for me otherwise just too expensive,

might take till 2021 but price will drop in time

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
The switch just turns them on. They don't actually work until you select the high beams however. When you switch to low beams they turn off until you select high beams again. It's the typical operation of driving lights vs fog lights. With fogs it's the exact opposite. As for the interface... I haven't a clue. Mine were a factory option on my R56. I wouldn't mind having a set of the new LED driving lights, but the price will have to drop considerably.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ideal thanks for your help guys, I'm considering just spreading the buying out over a few months just to ease it a bit because they are expensive! I just love how they look!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah, I'm with you James-B93, I'd love some, but soooo expensive for the LED ones and I'm not handy enough with vehicle electronics to fit myself (I should be, I used to be an electrician!).

Has anyone out there gone and fitted something like this, and how have they got on?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VCP-F55-F56...ht-bracket-kit-for-Mini-Coopers-/201188739134

If I'm going to pay north of £400 for some DRL's I want them to look like it and give me some serious illumination on the forthcoming winter nights around the lanes,

The switch just turns them on. They don't actually work until you select the high beams however.
Also, people are mentioning switches - what do they look like and where are they fitted in the cabin? Don't want some shoddy after-market plastic switch and loose cable messing up my OCD interior!!!!!!! Anyone got any pictures of the install?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Yeah, I'm with you James-B93, I'd love some, but soooo expensive for the LED ones and I'm not handy enough with vehicle electronics to fit myself (I should be, I used to be an electrician!).

Has anyone out there gone and fitted something like this, and how have they got on?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VCP-F55-F56...ht-bracket-kit-for-Mini-Coopers-/201188739134

If I'm going to pay north of £400 for some DRL's I want them to look like it and give me some serious illumination on the forthcoming winter nights around the lanes,

Also, people are mentioning switches - what do they look like and where are they fitted in the cabin? Don't want some shoddy after-market plastic switch and loose cable messing up my OCD interior!!!!!!! Anyone got any pictures of the install?
There is a small button on the starboard side of the steering column. This is the factory installed location and I assume you would use it if you install the mini kit.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I ordered them new with my JCW....dealer installed them & I'm very pleased with them. Being my first MINI, I just felt the front of the JCW was a bit lost with no fog lights! I'd prefer having fogs, but in reality with the LED's fogs aren't needed! LOL!

I admit to having the covers on most of the time, but when needed at night on dark twisty roads they are awesome!

My dealer was going to bump the price up more than they told me when I ordered but must have felt guilty so they honored the quoted price! They are expensive but I'm not sorry I got them as they just look proper on a MINI! LED's are the only way to go with LED headlights too....anything else wouldn't look good imo.

Reactions: dgswick and KYDan

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Another idea is an led light bar fitted on the bumpa bar. That would look neat and shouldnt be to hard to retrofit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the dealer installed LED driving lights. There is no separate switch. I was also provided with the install instructions and they do not show a switch. The harness plugs into the BDC (Body Domain Controller) and is programmed to turn on with the high beam switch (both on and flash). Also integrates with the Power Distribution Box. I got a great deal on them as part of the vehicle purchase but I have noted that they are available as an OEM kit from Mini Mania for between $600 and $850 USD. There is a lot to the install. I'm happy with the lights they work fairly well plus I like the look.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You sure there's no button? Usually it gets installed on the right side of the steering column. It's a little round button that has a high beam symbol with a "2" on it and a green light that lights up when they activate.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
You sure there's no button? Usually it gets installed on the right side of the steering column. It's a little round button that has a high beam symbol with a "2" on it and a green light that lights up when they activate.
You are correct! Small round button on the right hand side of the steering column. There has to be a button so you can turn on or off as needed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts