Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Got a bit of an issue with my LED Headlights.

It appears on my low beams, I keep on getting flashed from oncoming cars ?

I noticed if,

1) start the car, then turn on the headlights, they will NOT level.
2) starting the car with the headlight switch ON, the headlights come on
when I start the car, then they go into levelling mode, up and down, then stops.

Do my headlights require service to have them levelled correctly ?
What would be the correct way to have my headlights automatically level themselves, if possible ? I am a bit confused ?

Thank you !

·
Registered
763 Posts
Do you have the auto headlights? I always keep mine on auto, when I start the car at night the lights come on and initiate the auto level up-down sequence. I haven't ever tried anything but auto but I can try it when it gets dark and see what they do.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am pretty sure that my car didn't come equipped with Auto Headlights as a standard feature, was an option?. I do believe that this was an option I could have missed when building the options for my car. Am I SOL ?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Tried it out, mine only level in auto mode. Starting the car and turning on the headlights it didn't do it. If they did move it wasn't as obvious as in auto.
Take a look at your head light switch, do you have a picture of a light with an A on it? That's auto.

Reactions: hotrunner

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
On the headlight switch... if it's vertical, that should be the off position. One click to the left is the auto position. If you have it in that position you never need to mess with it again. I think I read somewhere that it was a required option on US cars. Not sure where you are.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I can't turn the knob for the lights to the left for Auto as suggested. Only two clicks to the right. Previous Mini's bought, this feature came as a Standard Option. It looks to be that the F56 for Auto Headlights for Canada was an Option and not a Standard feature. I guess it was missed, or thought it was included with this model too. New model car, new sales help, not enough product knowledge to pass onto the customer. I think they stripped all the options down to the bare bones to introduce the car at this price. I don't know what to do now.?

Any other suggestions ?

Just curious, why does a car have to readjust it headlights every time it starts up? I don't think I have never been blinded by an oncoming car that didn't have this feature, but with this feature, I am getting flashed by other drivers when these headlights are in Low Beam mode.

My lights will only auto level when I turn the switch two positions to the right, start the car, headlights go up and down. Bummer.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'm sure auto lights come with one of the packages, not sure on pepper but with chilli!

The other way to tell is the windscreen behind the rear view mirror, if just the mirror stuck on then no you won't have them if there is a black circle with a little clear sensor showing then you have but as you said the switch proves it by no left click...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Do you have the auto headlights? I always keep mine on auto, when I start the car at night the lights come on and initiate the auto level up-down sequence. I haven't ever tried anything but auto but I can try it when it gets dark and see what they do.
May not affect you over in the states but here in the UK we do get fog in the day time and auto lights don't always turn on as fog is bright this is also the case in snow...

Just a little tip for anyone who didn't realise :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Mini sort of missed the boat when the introduced the F series as far as what is optional that was standard before. "What we have here is a failure to communicate!" From "Cool Hand Luke", Strother Martin.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would be getting your car looked as soon as possible. Not having auto-lights should not make your car an issue for other drivers.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Worth getting it checked but the led are bright and I get flashed accelerating or going up hills for eg.it sounds as if it's working to me . To c on firm previous post yes please flash dopey UK drivers who think auto lights und e r stand daylight fog. They come on if it's dark not foggy grrrr.

·
Registered
763 Posts
May not affect you over in the states but here in the UK we do get fog in the day time and auto lights don't always turn on as fog is bright this is also the case in snow...

Just a little tip for anyone who didn't realise :)
Fog is pretty rare where I live but I encounter it pretty often in California. I haven't needed to switch on the headlights but I've turned the fog lights on plenty.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
On mine with auto lights if you turn on the fog lamps it automatically turns on the headlights....

·
Registered
763 Posts
On mine with auto lights if you turn on the fog lamps it automatically turns on the headlights....
You are correct, I totally forgot they do that. It was a surprise the first time I turned on the fogs.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think it just goes with the territory when you have HID lights. I've had four cars with HIDs; three with xenons (Mazda 3, Acura TL, R60) and now my F55 with LEDs, and I've always been flashed by oncoming cars that think I have my brights on.

I stopped caring - I can see brilliantly at night. Maybe they're jealous... ;)

Reactions: hotrunner

·
Registered
844 Posts
Something not right here. If oncoming drivers are flashing you because the lights are blinding it is a safety hazard.
If this is happening, you must get your lights checked out to see that they are aimed correctly.

They should be pointing down at a certain angle and turned slightly to the near side kerb.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
2 things jump to mind....

1/ They were set wrong from build, I know several people who had this issue and dealers reset, although this was always part of the PDI but appears not anymore!

2/ What are the roads like near you? I know round here they are awful and my theory is the self levelers can't keep up with the constant changes & uneven road conditions and because of this people think you are flashing them so flash you!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts