Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you all say it. Oh no not another thread on can led headlights fit a f56 that never had them. I propose to throw a spanner in the works here.

I was reading the modern mini magazine and it seems that the latest trend for r56 owners is to fit f56 led headlights purchased from fleebay to there cars and from reading the article it seems to be working with only a little bit of wiring to get the led side lights to work......So surely if they can do it I'm sure non led headlight f56 owners can too?

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Yes there's usually a way and some clever bod will do it and hopefully post it on the web. That's the beauty of the web,a huge knowledge base!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will hope that someone does as its my biggest regret when I missed them off the options. Too many options and I was too hasty. But still love the car too bits

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I nearly did. Ordered the car drove home read the forums rang the dealer and added them while deleting the paint treatment! V nervewracking wait to get the car hoping she'd altered the order correctly. She had!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'm confused, are you talking about the auxiliary lights which attach to the grill or the in-situ headlight unit with turn indicator? I can't see owners of R56's purchasing a F56 in-situ unit as they just wouldn't fit?

Well yes they wouldn't fit, but I didn't realise they made actually replica units like this... Interesting!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
He's saying that some have managed to put f56 led headlamp units into the r56. (I think). I reckon there'd need to be some work with a hefty tin opener though. !

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
He's saying that some have managed to put f56 led headlamp units into the r56. (I think). I reckon there'd need to be some work with a hefty tin opener though. !
I'm pretty sure the LED headlight assemblies will not fit in a R56. The hood opening is different.

The ones pictured above are knockoff replicas that are made for the R56, but look like the F56 LEDs. There's a big thread about them on another forum and if I remember correctly, the "horseshoe" or "halo" is LED, but the main headlight is a projector for either a halogen or xenon bulb. It is not a true LED headlight.

Either way, the ones pictured won't fit a F56 because of geometry differences, but I think the idea is that perhaps there will be a third party option in the future for people wanting to swap to the LED style. A straight swap is difficult since the wiring harness on halogen equipped models won't fit the LED assembly. Most of the assembly is self contained, so if you can find a way to wire everything in, theoretically, it could work. I don't think the LED headlights rely on any of the computers that the halogens wouldn't.

Reactions: jeremybingham
1 - 9 of 9 Posts