Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy oh boy them miles are just flying by. I got less than 16k miles left before the free stuff is all over (9 month or less) :| Now comes the question of should I buy a warranty( not a big fan of extended warranties) would I be better off using the $$$ towards ordering a new Mini and spec it to my liking and than there are the mods do I want to pull them all out and put it on a new car (air intake lowering springs etc etc) or should I just drive it like it was stolen and when times comes make a Cafe Racer out of it. Those are question that keep me pacing in my garage at night with a cold beer in my hand.:D:D

I do like my Mini they way I have it modded now but than there is always the "new car smell"

How long are you planing driving your Mini? Do you switch cars every 3 years or sooner? Any thoughts.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My last MINI I had the same thoughts!

I did keep it for the 4th year, took a third party extended warranty, I regretted paying out for this and wish I'd saved the money. An option is to put the warranty cost to one side and hopefully nothing will go wrong and at the end of the year you will have a nest egg to put towards the next one.

BTW you can buy the new car smell on Amazon ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
considering all the problems with the mini's and even then i keep buying them, i would keep swapping the car every 3 years if you can afford it..
i have an extended warranty on mine and the first 6 months it paid for itself with a new air conditioning pump.. unfortunately its a love hate relationship cos i couldnt drive a different car other than a mini now..

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I've always kept my cars, until recently. As you will now have seen from the latest addition to the fold swmbo gets itchy feet after 3 years so i do as i am told. I've never believed in extended warranties.in the uk from what ive heard they often seem to wriggle out of paying out the full amount.(only what i read,no experience). Put a bit away monthly to cover things that will go wrong plus tyres etc and after the warranty I'd use a good independent or diy.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've been lucky enough in the last week to get a new role at work for the new year but will mean a 200 mile commute 2 - 3 days a week. Wooohoooo. But with it comes dilemma. It means I'll be racking up the miles again, 30k likely, and much as I love the JCW, probably not the car to do that in. And the PCP balloon payment will explode, not just pop. Albeit the tax man would cover the balloon and my work would cover the fuel as it would all be classed as business miles.

So, I might need the motorway diesel again. I'm thinking... run the JCW for the next 12-18 months to 30k miles then keep it for weekends, a pocket rocket Sunday morning racer. Could mod it a bit then too, the remap I said I'd never have, some flames down the side, you know. Then buy a 1 year old y/o ex-rental diesel auto Ford Mundano with stop/go cruise at 50% off list (sorry, hate them but they are too good to ignore with great depreciation lol) from a car supermarket and off we go.

Much as my Wife would love to get her hands on the JCW, it can't happen. She would really try and look after it, but she has a reputation for trashing cars.

Like you Evlkarl, there has been much pacing with beer in hand over the last few days. All in a good way though and the JCW is going nowhere, my man maths will make sure of that!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I Really loved my 2012 R56JCW so much that I originally decided to keep it, but my ultimately smarter wife persuaded me not to keep it as it would require moving some toys from the toy shed to accommodate another motorized toy. I eventually traded it in on the F56 JCW at the last minute as I ordered the car early in July of 2015 and received it the last day of October 2015. I took a beating on the trade in as I knew that I would, but how much is fun worth? There are things that I don't like about the F, most notably the bulbous snout, no dipstick, the new and unimproved gauge placement, the loss of the rear power outlet, and a few others. However, the outstanding power increase of the 2.0 Boxter is astoundingly stellar. To-date after 15,000 + miles I firmly believe this is the best mini yet even with the loss of considerable mininess! With the aftermarket addition of a chip module and the JCW PRO exhaust the little beastie is my favorite motorized toy, the only way to possible persuade me to trade it would be if mini offered the Challenge series to US customers, but it really is a dedicated track car and my wife would advise me that we would have to have 2 of them!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Karl, Before I offer any advice I will require that you go drive that new JCW at your local dealer and report back! There may be no need for further input! LOL!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts