Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not wait to see what they built there.

Last month we told you about a track day special edition MINI being created by MINI UK. EVO Magazine has been granted exclusive access to the development of MINI’s latest limited edition model and has a few tantalizing updates. In short this isn’t just a few stickers and some new paint. The MINI JCW Challenge is a car that takes the best of the JCW range and turns it up a notch for the track. While this isn’t a material change like the GP, it’s a smartly edited version of the JCW that should create a more focused car for both the street and the track.

What’s changed? According to EVO, all the important bits:

The chassis has been upgraded with Nitron springs and dampers along with front camber plates. They will be fully adjustable for both height and camber. There’s also a stiffer set of sway bars to give flatter handling.
Brakes are the same four-piston Brembo set-up from the JCW but the Challenge will use bespoke Mintex pads of greater bite.
A real old school limited slip differential from Quaife will be standard on the car – the first mechanical differential since the early days of the R56 (sorry EVO – MINIs other than the R53 GP did have a true diff)
Finally MINI UK will be fitting Team Dynamics wheels in order to save over 3 lbs per corner. They’ll be 17″ in diameter but will a full 7.5″ width. The tire choice remains a mystery.
What hasn’t changed (if you didn’t notice) is the power plant.

Sadly the JCWc will be a UK only model and produced in very low numbers – 50 – 100 depending on demand. Why go to the trouble of producing a car in such limited numbers for a single market? It could be a precursor to a GP version meant for global markets or a proof of concept for something else entirely. What is interesting is that MINI has given the UK team the green light to use components directly from suppliers giving quite a lot of transparency into a process that’s typically kept out of the public eye. We like the change. And it sounds like we’ll love the car.

http://www.motoringfile.com/

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Yes exciting. Evo criticised the jcw for not being exciting enough in terms of handling(apparently the fiesta is their chosen steed in this class) so evo have been invited to develop a more track orientated jcw in very limited numbers. .been reading about it. I expect it'll sell like hotcakes and rightly so . I'd still rather have any f series mini from a Cooper up than a fiesta st. .,

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hope they make a couple things available to the general public. I.E. camber plates.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing what they come up with the wheel & tire combo. 7.5" rim width is what the stock JCW should have now!....especially since the online configuration "still" says 18" x 7.5" for the cup spoke wheels!

Usually when a limited edition is developed parts can be had for stock examples overr time so that's a good thing!

I agree, an F series MINI anything is better than as Fiesta! In the looks department at the very least! :)

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mini JCW v Fiesta ST. Absolutely no competition. Driven both ordered JCW. Cost aside, no one in their right mind would take the ST? Just not special at all IMO. Golf R v. New Focus RS with drift (or fun) mode - I'd wager it would be the other way around for me, RS everytime (driven and seriously considered the R but sadly not an RS) so nothing to do with badge snobbery here ;)

I'd personally love to see a factory sanctoned 275-300bhp JCW, brakes are more than up to it, few chassis tweaks and some special rubber to sort the whingers in the press out, keep it well under £30k basic you'd have a serious serious piece of performance kit on your hands.

Read EVO for years, but think they are disconnected with their views on the JCW backed up by the fact I've ignored them and bought one! There is no other £25-35k car I could find with 4 seats that hit the spot on the test drives.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Totally agree; in terms of wheels from memory (may be already in ev's post) they'll be same diamater but wider and significantly lighter per wheel. Any weight loss is good for evo-they'd rather be driving a Caterham (not me!).

Reactions: Evlkarl
1 - 7 of 7 Posts