Mini Cooper Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Yes but nobody seems to know how the 12% (approx) is split between top and bottom.

Alan
Thanks everyone for replies. I'll double check settings in car when home. Will be fine, not too concerned as it's the wife's car. :D Luckily don't have to charge the Tesla as often, so home charger is available to her most nights & has access to 2nd car. Just frustrating when you think "wonder what the Mini has decided to charge itself to tonight?", though not the biggest problem in the world.

The buffer topic is a thing that will go round in circles IMO, until someone definitively says the where the buffer is split I'll avoid charging car to 100%. But like most things in life everyone has different opinions. Having an EV's for a while, plus wife wants to keep the Mini, battery degradation is a small consideration for us. Though not something to get stressed about. Everyone knows the car has a small range, so if thats a problem. You've bought the wrong car. I just want to charge to what I set it to. Most so I don't get a phone call saying "the Mini hasn't charged again".

· Registered
2020 Cooper SE (Level 2)
329 Posts
....... with anything EV it's all a bit experimental and we won't really know for a few years.
It's now over 30 years since the first Li-ion batteries were manufactured commercially. Tesla Motors started selling the Roadster in 2008 and the Nissan Leaf went into production in 2010. In my view we're well past the experimental stage.

Alan

· Registered
819 Posts
Thanks everyone for replies. I'll double check settings in car when home. Will be fine, not too concerned as it's the wife's car. :D Luckily don't have to charge the Tesla as often, so home charger is available to her most nights & has access to 2nd car. Just frustrating when you think "wonder what the Mini has decided to charge itself to tonight?", though not the biggest problem in the world.

The buffer topic is a thing that will go round in circles IMO, until someone definitively says the where the buffer is split I'll avoid charging car to 100%. But like most things in life everyone has different opinions. Having an EV's for a while, plus wife wants to keep the Mini, battery degradation is a small consideration for us. Though not something to get stressed about. Everyone knows the car has a small range, so if thats a problem. You've bought the wrong car. I just want to charge to what I set it to. Most so I don't get a phone call saying "the Mini hasn't charged again".
Have you checked all the charge options in the Ohme app to make sure it is set to charge to the percentage that you want, week days and weekends?
I've been using the Ohme charger now for nearly two years at the "Only charge at the off peak 5p rate" and it has been faultless.

· Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
602 Posts
I did the same as Mark while I was waiting for my "free" (included in the price of the car) 7kW wall charger and had to use the 13A plug-in "granny" charger.
Only difference, I used an immersion heater timer, the hard wired type, not a plug-in.
When I finally got the 7kW wall charger it was totally unreliable with respect to setting times, it would charge at random times, sometimes as soon as I plugged the cable in.
So I just set the charger for 24 hours (no time slots) and went back to setting the 00;30 - 04;30 in the MINI.
The only issue with the MINI software is it only obeys the 04;30 setting, it will start before 00;30 if it calculates that 4 hours isn't enough to reach 100%
In my case it rarely happens as I mostly use the car for short journeys so rarely need 4 hours charge time.

· Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I did the same as Mark while I was waiting for my "free" (included in the price of the car) 7kW wall charger and had to use the 13A plug-in "granny" charger.
Only difference, I used an immersion heater timer, the hard wired type, not a plug-in.
When I finally got the 7kW wall charger it was totally unreliable with respect to setting times, it would charge at random times, sometimes as soon as I plugged the cable in.
So I just set the charger for 24 hours (no time slots) and went back to setting the 00;30 - 04;30 in the MINI.
The only issue with the MINI software is it only obeys the 04;30 setting, it will start before 00;30 if it calculates that 4 hours isn't enough to reach 100%
In my case it rarely happens as I mostly use the car for short journeys so rarely need 4 hours charge time.
[/QUOT
I also only do short journeys and so can normally get away with only charging for 4 hours during the Octopus Go cheap rate period. However I was concerned at continually charging 75% to 100%. With the timer I now intend to let the battery discharge now and again to 20% and charge in a couple of nights to 80%.

· Registered
819 Posts
According to the TV advert the Mini Electric is now being offered with a free charger!
I wonder what they are supplying now after your experiences with BP!

· Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
602 Posts
Anything would be better than the BP one.....

The "free" BP one I ended up with wasn't a BMW/MINI thing, it was the dealership who were giving it away.

The electrician who insatalled it - 11 months after I bought the car - said "because of the delay you are getting the new version, hopefully it will be better than all the others I've installed and had to go back and fix..."

He was so wrong....

At least I now have the PEN/RCD, and the full cable run to the garage so when I buy a decent one there will be no installation costs.

(EDIT - typo)

· Registered
41 Posts
It's now over 30 years since the first Li-ion batteries were manufactured commercially. Tesla Motors started selling the Roadster in 2008 and the Nissan Leaf went into production in 2010. In my view we're well past the experimental stage.

Alan
First Ford sold in 1903. Not sure 30 years later, 1933, car makers were all past the "experimental" stage...

41 - 51 of 51 Posts