Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 2014 mini and I'm thoroughly pleased, more like extremely happy with my choice, that being said one thing I can't seem to figure out is the line on the bonnets that runs across it, its as if there was a paint job half way done. Check out the pictures and let me know your opinions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the 2014 mini and I'm thoroughly pleased, more like extremely happy with my choice, that being said one thing I can't seem to figure out is the line on the bonnets that runs across it, its as if there was a paint job half way done. Check out the pictures and let me know your opinions. View attachment 69215 View attachment 69216
Is it a clear wrap to protect the bonnet?
Not sure, I'm to scared to peel it off, I was wondering if its a wrap? But how do I find out without causing damage?

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
512 Posts
Yep looks like clear paint protection film as the black stripes and paintwork look glossier underneath.
You can see the line more as it'll have polish upto the line so with a gentle clean with a cloth you should be able to scrape the wax line away so it wont be noticeable.

It's a cheap job though as they should have done the full bonnet not just 1/2 :rolleyes: - you'll probably have the film on the front bumper as well as it's to help stop stonechips

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll give it a try and see if it comes off, I'll update with my progress tomorrow, thanks for the advice everyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It is a clear protective coat as mentioned, I don't like the line across the hood so, does anyone have any advice, I did clean the wax off but it still bothers me about it only covering half, can I remove the film without causing paint damage to the bonnet? I guess I'm being to particular about it but why the heck not, she's a beauty 😍
Edit....
So I did some research and found out that its considered a clear bra, thats why it was only halfway, still would have preferred it cover the whole bonnet but I'm learning as I go here, here's a link to a YouTube video I found with pretty much the same thing I have, only mine isn't a 12 million dollar car.

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
512 Posts
These are fairly easy to remove as unlike stripes these are slightly thicker so should peel off in 1 piece.
Leave the car out in the sun for a couple of hours if possible as this should heat up the glue behind. You could use a heat gun or hair dryer but don't heat the panel up too much as you don't want to blister the paint.
Once the bra is removed :) you might need some tar and glue remover (tardis, AutoGlym,etc) to remove any left over glue residue.
Depending on how long it's been on you'll notice some difference in the 2 sections of paint as the uncovered part will have more swirls and maybe paint fading so you might need to give the bonnet a going over with a compound and then a polish and wax to keep it protected as when applying PPF they clean any waxes off the paint to allow the PPF to stick properly

·
Registered
90 Posts
Baby oil is very good to dissolve glue (and bubble gum), but I've only tried it on glass and hard-plastic surfaces. You only need a little bit of elbow grease.

I think baby oil MIGHT be safe on painted metal, but preferably once the metal has cooled down. However, it CAN DAMAGE soft plastics, like the one used for the stripes.

Alternatively, I've used Meguiar's Paint Cleaner to safely (and successfully) remove the glue left from removed emblems/badges in other cars. It's made with some sort of liquid clay and is perfectly safe for the paint, but it demands a lot more of elbow grease.

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
512 Posts
Baby oil is very good to dissolve glue (and bubble gum), but I've only tried it on glass and hard-plastic surfaces. You only need a little bit of elbow grease.

I think baby oil MIGHT be safe on painted metal, but preferably once the metal has cooled down. However, it CAN DAMAGE soft plastics, like the one used for the stripes.

Alternatively, I've used Meguiar's Paint Cleaner to safely (and successfully) remove the glue left from removed emblems/badges in other cars. It's made with some sort of liquid clay and is perfectly safe for the paint, but it demands a lot more of elbow grease.
I've used baby oil on the bodywork but that was nothing to do with cars ;)

Be careful with baby oil, do a test patch first as if it's anything like suntan lotion it can leave marks in the paint which then need polishing out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone, I'll be working on it tomorrow morning and hopefully will have a good report for all of y'all

·
Super Moderator
6,737 Posts
Wd 40 great on residual glue and safe on paint but I think it might not leave much glue says he! Good luck I would remove it too. I'd rather have the odd stone chip than that line!.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Slowly but surely making progress, with some trial and error my wife figured out dawn dish detergent works on getting the line off, due to my unwillingness to travel to more than one store I found turtle wax tar and bug removal, and after a few tries I discovered that after letting the cleaner sit for a few minutes...... it still takes alot of elbow grease to get the glue off, but finally made progress, as yall mentioned there is a difference in the color but I was already expecting that, I was gonna give it a wax and shine but then it started raining so ill come back with follow up pictures at another time. Thank you everyone for your help, it was extremely helpful!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts