Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set the settings to have the doors lock in case I forget to lock the car when I'm out and about.

This does not work however. I pull the car into the garage and leave it unlocked. The next morning the car is still unlocked. I mentioned this to the dealer when I went in recently and of course they had no explanation.

Anyone know what's going on?

·
Registered
235 Posts
The setting to lock the doors is if you unlock the car and do not open a door or rear hatch within a time period.
It will not lock the car up if you leave it unlocked after opening a door for safety reasons, there could be passengers in the car and they would not be able to get out due to he deadlocks on the doors.

So, there is no fault.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Who forgets to lock their car? So it's Minis fault your memory is so bad maybe you should post a note on the dash to remind you.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK Dave, so it must be related to whether the engine is running or not. Because when I get in the car and drive away, the doors lock automatically. It is only when I turn the engine off and get out, that the doors don't lock.

The dealer seemed to think they should lock and said he would contact MINI to find out why they are not locking. That's why I posted because it seems easier to get answers on this forum!

Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
OK Dave, so it must be related to whether the engine is running or not. Because when I get in the car and drive away, the doors lock automatically. It is only when I turn the engine off and get out, that the doors don't lock.

The dealer seemed to think they should lock and said he would contact MINI to find out why they are not locking. That's why I posted because it seems easier to get answers on this forum!

Thanks!
The auto drive off lock is separate as previously stated to the auto lock. when the car has been opened but not entered. It is my understanding that the doors should re-lock.
Ironically mine do not?
Also I can open the doors, walk 20feet away, place the keys in the garage, get back into the car and it starts?
Me no understandy?:)
Matt

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I hope so!
Is it just me, or is anyone else still impressed that someone in another country half way around the world, can answer a question minutes after it's posted, this world is so small now.:nerd:
I'm impressed. The level of connectivity we humans enjoy is incredible. But then there's the downside. Facebook. Justin Beiber. The Kardashians.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with Dave.
If you accidentally unlock your car by pressing the unlock button when putting the key in your pocket (or bag) after you have previously locked it, then it will re-lock itself after a pre-defined time if the doors or hatch are not opened within that pre-defined time.
Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I'm going to try this. So I get out of the car, lock the car and then unlock it using the remote, but then don't actually open any doors. The car should lock again on its own.

Thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So yes, you guys were right, it does work the way NeilF56 said it does. You have to lock the car initially when you get out.

I wish the doors did lock on its own though. I have comfort access and the trunk does lock on its own when you leave the car. I would never unlock the car using the remote by accident because my keys/remote never leave my purse because of comfort access, I don't need to use them.

Thanks for the explanation!

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts
My impression was actually that the car should auto lock in any case.
At least, that's what happens with my old (2008) seat Leon.
I get out of the car, do nothing, and after a couple of minutes the car auto locks...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
No doesn't work like that.

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts
Yes but you can't get it to lock if you've been in the car. As we said- the doors lock only if the door hasn't been opened after you've unlocked it. You can't get the car to lock if you go to it, open the door and then leave it and forget to lock it. You are right though you can alter timings of everything you've posted!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts