Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here, but this looks like a particularly useful forum. We test drove a new Mini E last week, and are booked in for another, hopefully longer, test drive tomorrow. Really impressed with it after the 1st drive - we've test-driven a lot of cars over the last couple of weeks, and the Mini is the one that put a grin on my face 馃檪.

So - accepting that this is likely an understandably biased forum - is there anything we should be looking out for ? I have already read up on the door seal rubbing on the B-Pillar problem (though would hope not to see that on a new car ...), and if we order one we will be asking the dealer if they would be able to fit the plastic film protectors from handover to avoid them having unnecessary warranty claims (and unhappy customers) in a few months !

Thanks everyone, and hopefully we will be owners soon. Although they have said March/April if we place an order now ...

Jon

Registered
You can see by the lack of replies that there's no major issues to report on the CooperSE.
I thought the BMW stickered floormats were pretty flimsy so upgraded them with some mats from an amazon shop.
Also got a Faraday pouch for the key fobs.
I did notice a really tiny dent on my car (Midnight Black) low down on rear quarter panel with zero paint marking, likely meaning the body itself was dented before being painted. Mine was handed over outside on a rainy day so no way would I have spotted it. The dint is so tiny I'm not bothering going back to the dealer but worth going over your car with a beady eye before picking up.

Registered
Yeah I cant think of anything either. I bought mine secondhand and it has the three pin socket alloys which apparently needs a specific tool to enable the tyre to be changed/balanced or whatever (or so I鈥檝e heard) so given the choice I鈥檇 have probably gone for a more normal/standard alloy. But that鈥檚 about it and I鈥檓 not even 100% sure if it鈥檚 a real concern or not!

Registered
Yeah I cant think of anything either. I bought mine secondhand and it has the three pin socket alloys which apparently needs a specific tool to enable the tyre to be changed/balanced or whatever (or so I鈥檝e heard) so given the choice I鈥檇 have probably gone for a more normal/standard alloy. But that鈥檚 about it and I鈥檓 not even 100% sure if it鈥檚 a real concern or not!
You've just reminded me I still haven't ordered the balancing tool. :)

Super Moderator
If you go for the plug spoke alloys go to your dealer not ebay-the balancing tool is available from mini for around 拢12 from memory. Got mine in the spring- lives in the boot just in case. As above not much seems to go wrong with the SE-nor any mini these days-barring the paint rub on the door seal-NO it definitely is NOT cured-Mini seem in denial about it -so get that film on as soon as you take delivery-i did ours straight away ! It really is a superb car! We love ours.

Registered
According to the Consumer Association Mini is a very reliable brand, moreso than BMW, and the Mini Electric is a best buy if you can cope with the range.

Registered
According to the Consumer Association Mini is a very reliable brand, moreso than BMW, and the Mini Electric is a best buy if you can cope with the range.
I think the range issue on this car is the biggest "problem". And it only really is an issue for people that drive a lot. I've always thought the Mini SE is a great second car. Using it as a primary vehicle alone might be really difficult and frustrating.

I would love one, if I had the opportunity to charge at home that is...

Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
As above, I bought mine as a second car. For local, and even medium distance trips, it is perfect. Expensive to buy, but cheap to run and depreciation is a bit of an unknown.
But I'm not going to give up my ST for long distance, load carrying (it's the estate version), or outright performance - the MINI is fast and a lot more fun, esp. through corners, but I won't give up ICE performance until I have to (2030 ?)
Also, as above, home charging - at 5p/kWhr approximates to 300-350MPG - is essential for it to be economic. I'm a bit restricted at the moment, still waiting for my 7kW charger to be installed but the factory supplied 2.3 kW does the job (just slowly...).

Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
Even at 20p/kWh it runs at around 1/4 the cost per mile of a petrol equivalent, not taking into account the zero VED, and reduced servicing and insurance costs.

I have just been scooped up by EDF after Utility Point went under, so am in a period that means I can't (or shouldn't) be making any changes to my supplier. As soon as I am able I'll be off to Octopus, unless anything else comes along to rival it.

Registered
Unless you were forced to accept their standard tariff when you were transferred to EDF, EDF actually have an overnight tariff slightly better than Octopus, it's just their daytime is slightly worse than Octopus (last time I looked).
I was already with Octopus long before I bought the MINI so didn't think it worth changing as I don't use it enough (yet) to benefit from minor differences in overnight rates.

Registered
Daytime or Overnight ?
It's been a long time since I lived in the USA and back then, prices UK/USA were fairly similar.

Registered
I have a flat rate for electricity and it is just under 11 cents per kWh. My quick Google search tells me that is the same as 8p per kWh.

Registered
Daytime or Overnight ?
It's been a long time since I lived in the USA and back then, prices UK/USA were fairly similar.
TIL that the cost of energy in the UK is 2x what it is in the US.
I pay $00.1175/kWh. The average in the country is $00.1331/kWh.
On the other side of the country (California), they pay an average of $00.20/kWh. Some states pay even more on average.

Registered
2022 Mini Cooper SE
We have owned a 2022 SE for six weeks. Very fast and fun to drive. Where I live we have a surcharge then a flat rate of $0.09kWh. So far we've paid $31.50 to go 814 miles. Compared to $3.50 per gallon @30mpg = $95 so say a third? I'm using the app to track energy consumption.

Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
Yeah, we were put on a variable tariff and can鈥檛 change it yet. I鈥檒l look into it - I don鈥檛 have a smart meter yet and EDF supposedly can鈥檛 fit one in my area at the moment.

Registered
We have owned a 2022 SE for six weeks. Very fast and fun to drive. Where I live we have a surcharge then a flat rate of $0.09kWh. So far we've paid $31.50 to go 814 miles. Compared to $3.50 per gallon @30mpg = $95 so say a third? I'm using the app to track energy consumption.
My Countryman gets a better average MPG than that. But still an impressive amount of savings! I envy your lower electric costs!!

Registered
2022 Mini Cooper SE
My Countryman gets a better average MPG than that. But still an impressive amount of savings! I envy your lower electric costs!!
Yeah I based it on city driving, which is what we do as well as the typical use case for the SE.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts