Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Mini Cooper SE
24 Posts
I was getting an average of 39mpg in my 2015 base F56. Mostly city, but perhaps I was not driving as hard?
I was getting an average of 39mpg in my 2015 base F56. Mostly city, but perhaps I was not driving as hard?
Similarly, we have been using almost exclusively MID mode, instead of GREEN or GREEN+. MID is the default, but we like the performance. So we've been driving somewhat hard-ish. It's tough not to rocket away when the light turns green. Sounds like a jet as well. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the range issue on this car is the biggest "problem". And it only really is an issue for people that drive a lot. I've always thought the Mini SE is a great second car. Using it as a primary vehicle alone might be really difficult and frustrating.

I would love one, if I had the opportunity to charge at home that is...
In practice, the lack of range isn't really a problem. Up until now I've had a Nissan Leaf with a similar range. On longer road trips I find that by the time the car needs a charge, it's time to stop for a break anyway.

Plugging into a rapid charger is such that, by the time I've had a cup of tea, had a bite to eat, sorted out the dog and been to the bathroom myself, it's charged and ready to go!

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
329 Posts
Yeah, we were put on a variable tariff and can’t change it yet. I’ll look into it - I don’t have a smart meter yet and EDF supposedly can’t fit one in my area at the moment.
I would suggest you remind EDF of their legal obligation,

Esp. this statement "Energy suppliers are required to take all reasonable steps to rollout smart meters to all of their domestic and small business customers by the end of December 2021."

I had to "advise" Octopus of the Ofgem requirements to get mine earlier this year. Their previous excuse being "not enough people in your area to justify sending the installer out" which sounds similar to "can’t fit one in my area at the moment"....

And if EDF still don't respond, just drop an email to Ofgem. I didn't actually contact Ofgem, just telling Octopus that I would if they didn't give me an installation date was enough to make it happen. And this was before I even thought about buying an EV, at the time I just wanted the meter because of the pretty real time usage display you get to put in the lounge....

·
Super Moderator
8,221 Posts
We've been put on to British Gas. Were paying 12punit now 21.No smart meter. Hope the energy mess settles fast so we can move.

·
Registered
318 Posts
In practice, the lack of range isn't really a problem. Up until now I've had a Nissan Leaf with a similar range. On longer road trips I find that by the time the car needs a charge, it's time to stop for a break anyway.

Plugging into a rapid charger is such that, by the time I've had a cup of tea, had a bite to eat, sorted out the dog and been to the bathroom myself, it's charged and ready to go!
Driving in the US is a bit different than the UK, I think. It's not abnormal for me and other people I know to be driving 80-120 miles before heading home (once a week probably). The Mini SE is just too low for that kind of range in the US. There's both the amount of miles driven and the scarcity of convenient charging locations. If i want to drive over to the beach from where I am, it's 128 miles. ANd when I get there, I will probably be at almost zero miles left. I would have to find some place to charge, then walk or taxi over tot he beach to relax, then get back over to the car once it's done charging and park it at the beach. Or I can park at the beach when I get there, enjoy my time, then drive tot he closest charger and wait for it to charge to full. Just sitting around for almost two hours waiting for it to charge before heading home. I'd rather be spending that time driving home! This is just one scenario. It's not really about range anxiety, it's about function and convenience and with a 110 mile rated range, and that to me is a second car. But this might be a lot different for someone who drives short stints in their own locale.

I think a lot of buyers here in the US are holding off for better charging, better range or getting Tesla's because they have a good 200+ mile range with a fast charging network. It's enough to do everything they need while not going on a long trip. Because you can forget about any long trip in the Mini unless you have a lot of time to kill. You'd be stopping too often. And that's okay. It wasn't made for that, hence the range it was built with.

·
Registered
329 Posts
We've been put on to British Gas. Were paying 12punit now 21.No smart meter. Hope the energy mess settles fast so we can move.
I don't think an enforced change of supplier would alter what Ofgem have stated which is that you are entitled to a smart meter if you ask for one.
The end of 2021 might be a bit un-reasonable if you have only just changed supplier but the end of 2021 is what Ofgem have stated for the rest of us (I had to quote the Ofgem requirement to get mine).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Even at 20p/kWh it runs at around 1/4 the cost per mile of a petrol equivalent, not taking into account the zero VED, and reduced servicing and insurance costs.

I have just been scooped up by EDF after Utility Point went under, so am in a period that means I can't (or shouldn't) be making any changes to my supplier. As soon as I am able I'll be off to Octopus, unless anything else comes along to rival it.
When I moved to Octopus I requested smart meters straight away and they were fitted in six weeks. They are a great company to deal with. I emailed them on Wednesday evening and got a reply the following morning!

·
Registered
329 Posts
When I moved to Octopus I requested smart meters straight away and they were fitted in six weeks. They are a great company to deal with. I emailed them on Wednesday evening and got a reply the following morning!
You got lucky with six weeks, it was over six months for me and only then when I told them I would be referring them to Ofgem.
Their rates are good but then so were "Bulb", in Ofgem's top ten and they are now in "special" administration while Ofgem decide what to do with them. Octopus were only at number seven last time I looked...

·
Registered
828 Posts
If you consider the wholesale price of electricity which in September was around 25p/kWh and is now around 22p/kWh then for every customer on a tariff charging less than this the energy company is losing money. Add on the fact that the energy companies are not allowed to charge what they want as OFGEM cap the price then you can see why so many suppliers have gone out of business.

Font Rectangle Eyelash Circle Magenta

OFGEM list over 20 companies since January this year

·
Registered
329 Posts
The "day ahead" prices are not what the companys pay - unless they haven't forward contracted enough purchase to match their potential sales demand.

Agreed, Ofgem have prevented companies charging fair prices in the current gas price scenario but it's only the companies who didn't buy in advance that are now suffering, but any company who buys on a day to day price is bound to suffer in a volatile market.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driving in the US is a bit different than the UK, I think. It's not abnormal for me and other people I know to be driving 80-120 miles before heading home (once a week probably). The Mini SE is just too low for that kind of range in the US. There's both the amount of miles driven and the scarcity of convenient charging locations. If i want to drive over to the beach from where I am, it's 128 miles. ANd when I get there, I will probably be at almost zero miles left. I would have to find some place to charge, then walk or taxi over tot he beach to relax, then get back over to the car once it's done charging and park it at the beach. Or I can park at the beach when I get there, enjoy my time, then drive tot he closest charger and wait for it to charge to full. Just sitting around for almost two hours waiting for it to charge before heading home. I'd rather be spending that time driving home! This is just one scenario. It's not really about range anxiety, it's about function and convenience and with a 110 mile rated range, and that to me is a second car. But this might be a lot different for someone who drives short stints in their own locale.

I think a lot of buyers here in the US are holding off for better charging, better range or getting Tesla's because they have a good 200+ mile range with a fast charging network. It's enough to do everything they need while not going on a long trip. Because you can forget about any long trip in the Mini unless you have a lot of time to kill. You'd be stopping too often. And that's okay. It wasn't made for that, hence the range it was built with.
You are absolutely right about "a US distance between two occasional chosen points". The USA it's a huge country however, it has been proven that the average daily use of a car in the States doesn't go over 30 miles per day...60 to be excessive. One more thing..why do you have to wait 2 hours for a Mini ito charge at a public charging station? It should not take more than an half hour..40 minutes if the charger is a bummer...surely not 2 hours.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Strange. The UK spec battery is 32kW maximum, 28kW useable. The MINI software limits the charge rate to 50kW/hr when plugged into a high speed charger.
The only time I've used a public (90kW max) high speed charger, with the MINI's 50kW/hr limit I went from 27% to 82% in less than 20 minutes.

·
Registered
2022 Mini Cooper SE
24 Posts
You are absolutely right about "a US distance between two occasional chosen points". The USA it's a huge country however, it has been proven that the average daily use of a car in the States doesn't go over 30 miles per day...60 to be excessive. One more thing..why do you have to wait 2 hours for a Mini ito charge at a public charging station? It should not take more than an half hour..40 minutes if the charger is a bummer...surely not 2 hours.
I've noticed there are a bunch of commercial level 2 chargers around. They do take hours to charge but the point is this happens while you are at work, the movies,etc.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've noticed there are a bunch of commercial level 2 chargers around. They do take hours to charge but the point is this happens while you are at work, the movies,etc.
Exactly. I could be home by the time I am finished charging. The inconvenience doesn't seem worth it to me as a primary car.

It would be nice if there was an available charger at all of your destinations that you could charge with while you are at the destination, but this just isn't the case. Maybe once the charging network is a little more built out here it will work better.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Average miles per year (2019) is 14,263 in the US. Just dividing that number by 365 can be very misleading! Even if you do divide it and the average is 39 miles per day, this does not mean it's the most miles they drive in a day:

Sunday - 10 miles
Monday - 4 miles
Tuesday - 5 miles
Wednesday - 4 miles
Thursday - 4 miles
Friday - 15 miles
Saturday - 165 miles

Average for this week is 39 miles per day, but you already have a day out of this week going well over the 120 mile range of this car. Extrapolate this out by 52 weeks and you can see how much of a problem it can be!

·
Super Moderator
8,221 Posts
But -and we don't know what your charging network is like over there-surely apart from Saturday-the SE will do it with ease-Saturday-is that a constant trip -no stopping-if not-charge at destination-even if it's only the granny charger off the mains you might get enough in there to charge. Saying that, we can't talk-we're the same so have a couple of dino cars to fall back on for long journeys and towing the caravan!

Reactions: xocomaox

·
Registered
318 Posts
But -and we don't know what your charging network is like over there-surely apart from Saturday-the SE will do it with ease-Saturday-is that a constant trip -no stopping-if not-charge at destination-even if it's only the granny charger off the mains you might get enough in there to charge. Saying that, we can't talk-we're the same so have a couple of dino cars to fall back on for long journeys and towing the caravan!
Yeah, that's my point. You can't always easily charge at destination. There just aren't enough chargers around, and sometimes they're all taken (Disney World is a great example. Always full!). This EV was designed for a specific type of driver or family. If I could afford a second vehicle, it would be high on the list! (Assuming I could charge at home, which is not available to me sadly)

·
Super Moderator
8,221 Posts
As you say this is exactly how we operate. We're lucky its third car. Luxury or madness?!!!

• Haha

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not sure it always makes sense to refer to something like the SE as a '3rd car', as it makes it seem like you only use it a minority of times. Sure, we have 3 cars, but the two ICE vehicles are very much 'special purpose', only used when we can't use the Mini. In the scenario above, I would agree that it probably makes more sense to have an old Day Van or something to use to go to the beach on a Saturday, but that doesn't mean you couldn't have an SE for doing the majority of your motoring days and thus having it as your go-to or 'First' car?

·
Super Moderator
8,221 Posts
True it is a car of three if you want to be pedantic. It's actually first choice end of and full stop. We've done 5k miles per year in the EV as most of our journeys are short. Max 40miles for swmbo to work. The Navara is on 5k yearly(ish)and used mostly for holidays towing the caravan, and the Roadster S is doing 2k per year at the mo-summer use mainly for fun! So the EV is actually car number one. Tbh as much fun as the Roadster and the car of choice for anything but long journeys!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts