Mini Cooper Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

Super Moderator
Hee sorry. Sometimes I respond on my phone, some times laptop and sometimes when at work so I struggle. But the error I reckon is down to capitals. Taught myself to touch type but simply cannot get the hang of shift so I have a terribly lazy habit of using hyphens instead to avoid putting in a capital!!!. Point taken though. Terrible Must. Try. Harder. 馃榿馃憤 I think I've been enjoying the freedom of being a retired teacher and having to be so correct, and degraded into the aforementioned sloppy shift key work. Watch out for future posts which will i oops I promise be more hyphen free!!!

Registered
Hee sorry. Sometimes I respond on my phone, some times laptop and sometimes when at work so I struggle. But the error I reckon is down to capitals. Taught myself to touch type but simply cannot get the hang of shift so I have a terribly lazy habit of using hyphens instead to avoid putting in a capital!!!. Point taken though. Terrible Must. Try. Harder. 馃榿馃憤 I think I've been enjoying the freedom of being a retired teacher and having to be so correct, and degraded into the aforementioned sloppy shift key work. Watch out for future posts which will i oops I promise be more hyphen free!!!
What a great reply and taken in the way I'd hoped. (y) Have to agree that it's all too easy to be lazy in the modern age and auto correct is a real nightmare sticking its nose in when it isn't needed. 馃槀

Super Moderator
Don't get me on autocorrect. The blunders I've made. We had very snowy weather when I was Head Teacher of a small village school. I sent out a text message to all parents to explain we'd be taking the kids out at break as usual as long as they had wellies. Of course auto correct inserted an i for the forest e in wellies. That's my story anyway. Luckily the parents loved it!!!

Back to the original post ( ish), do any of you with fossil fuel alternatives feel guilty not doing longer journeys in the SE? This might need a new thread. I went out last night and thought what a superbly comfy, quiet car it is. I'd love to 'risk ' a longer journey. I was tempted to use it when I went to the NEC bike show(about 90 miles) . You can pay to guarantee a charger or risk it. 拢10extra seemed steep so I didn't but all the charger spaces were empty when I arrived. Grrrr. It's that not knowing you can definitely top up, so I fully sympathise with the OP's worries.

Reactions: Supa Koopa

Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
I bought it for local travel only, and since the pandemic started I've only been on one long journey - to collect my new cat, a silver/grey tabby Maine **** - from a breeder the other side of the country and I used my ST (Focus) - since that trip the ST has been SORN'd, MOT not renewed, I just keep it insured against theft.
So I now use the MINI solely for everything apart from driving Anna to/from GP/hospital in her wheelchair converted van.
The only "long" journey I've done in the MINI was a few days after I bought it dropping her at Stanstead (We didn't need to use her van as she was meeting her sister at the airport and Stanstead and Ryanair provide courtesy wheelchairs).
For that I did need to recharge on the way back but researched it in advance and used the place south of Braintree, no shortage of chargers there !
So, if I ever need to do a long journey again - unlikely the way the pandemic has changed our lives, I don't even shop in supermarkets any more, just pay for home deliveries - I would just research the charging points on route beforehand.
The SatNav in the car displays them anyway and I have ZapMap on my mobile phone.

EDIT - it appears the site swear filter doesn't like my breed of cat, she just got starred out !!!

Registered
2020 Cooper SE (Level 2)
Ironically I think one of the reasons a reliable charging network isn't growing faster is because people like me & Rod aren't using it as we do most of our charging at home and don't generally have the confidence to travel longer distances. Undoubtedly the pandemic hasn't helped. If the demand isn't there suppliers won't be encouraged to develop the network. The situation should change as more EVs stream on to the highways and the pandemic becomes endemic. Time will tell. In the meantime I'm planning a 400 mile round trip in the SE to visit my sons in London in the Spring. Should be an interesting adventure!

Alan

Registered
Just to add to what Alan has said,

If you are buying it for local journeys and foot to the floor fun around country roads (It's still a mini when it comes to handling and probably out-performs my turbocharged classic one) it is the car for you.

If you do a lot of long distances, just research charging points in advance.

And if you really do a lot of long distances regularly, and want an EV, buy something with a much bigger battery.

BMW/MINI designed and built this with a small lightweight battery pack because they wanted to attract city or small town dwellers who just wanted the green stripe on their number plate or rural people like me who just love a blast around our country lanes and can just plug it in at home for the 5p Octopus overnight charge rate.

Super Moderator
You can count me in the chicken to do a long trip group! Will be following your 400 mile journey with interest, unless I've done one soon-I keep getting the urge!!! My worry is turning up somewhere and the chargers are in use or don't work. So you need back ups. Fine if you have a Braintree near you but Lincoln is a bit rural and my destination will probably be the British motor museum near Gaydon! They might have chargers though, but I've not looked. OOO er they do!!! 10 of them. By app or one off QR code. 7.5kw-now I am excited! I presume there's a fee. Worst case scenario head to a McDonalds. Theirs via ionity always get great reviews!

Registered
Mini Cooper SE
I don't think that range is now the problem it's the infrastructure. As the number of EV's on the road is now growing the lack of chargers becomes a bigger issue, especially on motorways. My earlier experiences were a bit mixed and we're only talking about twelve months ago. But now I feel a lot more confident about making any long journey in the mini. I know the GOM isn't great and it drives me mad when the sat nav linked to the GOM tells me I can't make it somewhere when I know I can.

Yes, the car doesn't have a big range but it's really just a different way of thinking. I know how far I can get on a full charge so I aim for a stop at around 20%, leaving a bit of capacity for unknowns. Charge to 90% when I stop, hopefully quench the coffee craving, and then off again. Ok so it takes a little longer to do the journey but like most things, once you've done it a few times it becomes easier. IMO we're in a much better place now than when the car was first coming out in 2020.

Registered
I don't think that range is now the problem it's the infrastructure. As the number of EV's on the road is now growing the lack of chargers becomes a bigger issue, especially on motorways. My earlier experiences were a bit mixed and we're only talking about twelve months ago.
I think this is something I think we will see start to change over the next 12-24 months. There's been various pushes for an increase by the powers that be, but we all know nothing works better at improving supply than an increase in demand.

I work on a large business park (8k people) with several car large car parks (all with 4-12 EV charge points each) and over the last 3 years it's gone from no cars charging to a few cars charging, mostly PHEV Mercs/BMWs/VWs, but several small EVs just parked up in normal spaces, presumably because they charge at home and don't need an expensive charge at work. But change is coming, the company I work for is huge (>500k staff) and has promised the government that all company cars from this year will be EV only. Now for our business unit that's around 40 vehicles, but that's 40 company car drivers who now HAVE to order EV and probably 30 of them do over 40k miles/year. The cars will be ID.3/ID.4/Enyaq/Kona models with a realistic 250 motorway mile range, so they will all need to charge at public charging points, this is the demand which will drive supply.

As as a side note - The Octopus overnight EV tariff is now officially 7.5p per kW

Registered
Mini Cooper SE
nothing works better at improving supply than an increase in demand.
Couldn鈥檛 agree more.

Most new cars go to fleet purchases, with personal purchases being a much smaller percentage of new cars produced. As you say this will likely drive change as organisation鈥檚 try to be more sustainable, which I guess at the moment is being compounded by vehicle supply issues.

Personally I don鈥檛 think I have ever felt as at home with car as I have with the Mini. Yes we have another vehicle, which is ICE, but and without wanting to offend the purists I can鈥檛 see any reason to go back from an EV.

Registered
As as a side note - The Octopus overnight EV tariff is now officially 7.5p per kW
Interesting...
I just logged into my account to double check and it's still showing as 5p for me (and 15.96p for the other 20 daytime hours).
It doesn't say but I seem to remember that there was more than one option when I selected it, longer hours but higher prices I seem to remember, I selected the 4 hours becuase, if I ever get my 7kW wall charger - only been waiting 6 months for BP to install it, they destroyed the Gulf of Mexico in less than 6 hours - but 7kW for 4 hours will easily take the battery from 20% to 100%
It might be that they guaranteed the 5p rate for a year back at the time (about 6 months ago) or might be because I was an existing customer, I've been with them since they first started up, long before I even though about an EV. Those are the best reasons I can think of but it's definately still showing as 5p and I'm not going to mess with it just yet in case it triggers a change !!!

Registered
It might be that they guaranteed the 5p rate for a year back at the time (about 6 months ago) or might be because I was an existing customer, I've been with them since they first started up, long before I even though about an EV. Those are the best reasons I can think of but it's definately still showing as 5p and I'm not going to mess with it just yet in case it triggers a change !!!
Best leave it well alone :)
I'm an Octopus customer, have been for 3-4 years, my current fixed rate is 16.8p but when I look at the EV tariff it's comes up 7.5p/kW even before I put in my details, and then once they have my account/location info they confirm the day rate at 30.15p/kW for the 20 hours. So as it stands it 100% cheaper for me to stay with the current fixed rate until it expires in April, but even then it would be cheaper to go onto the Standard Variable Tariff for what will be my typical charge of about 13kW/day.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts