Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm pretty close to ordering a new 2017 JCW and I wanted to get the community's thoughts on my configuration before I put it in. Obviously some of these options are love-it-or-hate-it but I'm sure there are some of you out there who have foregone an option that you later regretted.

If there is anything I've not selected that you would recommend getting, or something I've selected that you think I should leave out, let me know!

2017 JCW 2-door hardtop
- Chili red body color
- Black 17" wheels
- LED cornering headlights
- Heated seats
- Dynamic damper control
- Black bonnet stripes
- Harman Kardon sound system (thinking of maybe dropping this one as $750 is asking a lot)
- Fiber alloy interior trim (not sure on this one as it requires adding the Mini Excitement package)

This brings the total to $34,450, of which the dealer is willing to take off about $2000 as a discount.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Great build & great price! Getting a dealer to discount a new JCW by $2000 is really good! Personally, I'd keep the HK sound system...I almost didn't get it but added it to my order & I'm glad I did!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Welcome alone :)

I have media xl, I find the satnav very good and I think the screen looks better than basic :)

I had corning lights on my last one and not on here and can't say I miss them.

Packs do differ country to country but good luck :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Personally, I'd recommend the standard sport suspension and the Technology Package.

Auto-dimming and Folding Mirrors is a very useful option ... once you get used to it, it's hard to do without. Only $250 more since you're going with heated seats.

Piano black interior saves a bunch over the fiber alloy and still looks great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I'd recommend the standard sport suspension and the Technology Package.

Auto-dimming and Folding Mirrors is a very useful option ... once you get used to it, it's hard to do without. Only $250 more since you're going with heated seats.

Piano black interior saves a bunch over the fiber alloy and still looks great.
I figured DDC would give me the option to use the sport suspension when I want to and use a softer setting for longer rides. Is that not the case?

What in particular makes the auto-dimming/folding mirrors useful? I've never really had a need to fold my mirrors.

I like the look of the piano black interior but isn't it just glossy plastic? My experience has been that this sort of material tends to get a lot of hairline scratches that diminish the look over time.

The technology package I've considered and would love to have but I'm not sure it really provides $2k worth of value. I'm trying really hard to keep the price down!

The cornering lights, I'll admit, are mostly just for aesthetics--I like the darker anthracite housing and $250 isn't too bad. :)

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I spec my cars always bare bone and add the mods I want at a later time. Some people like different options for all kind of reasons but all too often over spec there cars and do not use them most of the time. So spec wisely.;)

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I figured DDC would give me the option to use the sport suspension when I want to and use a softer setting for longer rides. Is that not the case?
I would lose the DDC also. Save the $500 and go with the standard JCW suspension, which is the Sport Suspension. On the DDC in soft configuration it is 10% softer than standard (standard MINI, not JCW) and in firm/sport setting it is 10% more firm than standard. The JCW Sport Suspension (again, standard on JCW) is 30% firmer than standard. Also, when you decide to upgrade suspension components down the road it is easier and you won't feel like an (insert expletive here) for spending that $500 on the DDC. YMMV

HK sound system and the LED lights are definite keepers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Absolutely keep the HK setup, not sure on alloy fibre trim though, id go standrad and save there. Add some after market footwell mats to brighten it up a bit? I didnt take adaptive dampers, depends on your roads i guess, its fine on 17" wheels on uk motorways and general A and B roads (far better than expected) If i was doing lots of city driving on rough, pot holed streets, i'd have them though. Sports Chrono pack looks good sat on top of the dash and not a lot of money and makes it look a bit different. And you get the all important analogue turbo pressure guage....

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Id agree drop the fibre and ddc. Std sport suspension is great. Can of worms here as no one will agree but if you will ever want a roofrack dont miss the roof rails! Love music? keepthe hk but if you are going to listen to that engine dont! Ultimately set your price limit and stop there but think hard. If you leave anything out its VERY VERYexpensive\difficult to add later! So if in Doubt add it!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would recommend the DDC, they really do make a difference to the way the car handles and switching back from sport mode to mid mode (turns the dampers off) really shows just how much of a difference they make and in my opinion make the car disappointing to drive!

I would also keep the HK as I had a courtesy car from Mini last week without the HK and the sound was absolutely appalling!

I have the cornering lights on mine and I can't say they help at all, I can think of only one instance where they were useful to me, I was turning down an unlit country road in to a badly potholed driveway and as I slowed and indicated the turning light came on and lit up the drive way nicely, exposing all the potholes allowing me to dodge them, other than that I've found them pretty useless!

I bought mine as an approved used from Mini, however if I could choose my spec I would definitely of added folding wing mirrors along with auto-dimming rear view and external mirrors!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I too regret for not choosing auto dimming mirrors. At least the interior one.
My previous car had rear view dimming and I honestly took it for granted, when driving the Mini I feel everything glares me through the rear view and it is a real pain, it wasn't one of my 'must haves' when I was looking for cars but I think it is now

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
In lieu of recommending what I like I would ask what is your driving style, how do you like to drive and what is most of your driving? If you commute a lot and drive on rough rodes the DDC is wonderful, if you are going to track your mini the sport suspension is better. Are you an audiophile, or is music a driving distraction? What are your general likes/dislikes about autos and driving?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I test drove 2 JCWs back to back - one with the non adjustable sports suspension - the other with the variable dampers.
On the sort of roads that I enjoy driving on the sports suspension was a great deal better than the variable. I think the actual spring rate is just better suited to the car - the variable version has too light a spring in my opinion & gets all of "firmness" by artificially over-damping it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Not sure if you ever plan to modify your car in the future but if you select VDC option you will not be able to install the warranty friendly JCW coil over Sports suspension as the dealer fit option is only available for cars with passive suspension.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I test drove 2 JCWs back to back - one with the non adjustable sports suspension - the other with the variable dampers.
On the sort of roads that I enjoy driving on the sports suspension was a great deal better than the variable. I think the actual spring rate is just better suited to the car - the variable version has too light a spring in my opinion & gets all of "firmness" by artificially over-damping it.
Thanks for posting that! I've always wanted to hear a real world comparison. My JCW has the sport suspension only, and I absolutely love it. I would not want it to be "softer"!

Reactions: dgswick

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Hi all,

I'm pretty close to ordering a new 2017 JCW and I wanted to get the community's thoughts on my configuration before I put it in. Obviously some of these options are love-it-or-hate-it but I'm sure there are some of you out there who have foregone an option that you later regretted.

If there is anything I've not selected that you would recommend getting, or something I've selected that you think I should leave out, let me know!

2017 JCW 2-door hardtop
- Chili red body color
- Black 17" wheels
- LED cornering headlights
- Heated seats
- Dynamic damper control
- Black bonnet stripes
- Harman Kardon sound system (thinking of maybe dropping this one as $750 is asking a lot)
- Fiber alloy interior trim (not sure on this one as it requires adding the Mini Excitement package)

This brings the total to $34,450, of which the dealer is willing to take off about $2000 as a discount.
For me H/K was a MUST and I'd regret not having it now, its worth the money over the Visual Boost standard set up. The only thing I regret not getting on mine was leather.

·
Registered
386 Posts

What in particular makes the auto-dimming/folding mirrors useful? I've never really had a need to fold my mirrors.

I like the look of the piano black interior but isn't it just glossy plastic? My experience has been that this sort of material tends to get a lot of hairline scratches that diminish the look over time.

The technology package I've considered and would love to have but I'm not sure it really provides $2k worth of value. I'm trying really hard to keep the price down!

The cornering lights, I'll admit, are mostly just for aesthetics--I like the darker anthracite housing and $250 isn't too bad. :)
I think the real issue with the DDC is that the standard sports suspension is stiffer, but not harsher than DDC. The real plus of DDC is if you have bad roads, the softer setting would be nice. I did not find the sports suspension to be too harsh, even with 18" wheels.

The auto-dimming / auto-folding mirrors are very nice in traffic at night; however, more significantly to me, is the ability for the passenger mirror to dip when reversing which allows you to see curbs, etc. ... definitely good wheel rash insurance.

Piano black is glossy plastic, but it is very classy and cleans up clutter. I've had it on both BMW and Mini cars and it has held up very well.

Tech package is pricey, but it does include a lot of features. Rear view camera is very useful, nav is good ... it's a matter of what you need. I think it is money well spent, especially at resale time.

The cornering lights actually serve a purpose, especially in low-speed, very dark environments.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just to be clear ... it's a nice build. You need to build it the way you want. My inputs are based on researching this forum and my preferences. Part of the fun of a Mini is building it your way ... only you know what you want. Enjoy the car!

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks a ton for the replies everyone, this is a pretty big deal for me as it will be my first new car.

I think I'm pretty sold on the folding /auto-dimming mirrors now!

As for the DDC, that's a really tough one. I live in Michigan and the roads here are awful, but it's fairly likely I'll be moving to Cali next year. After looking over everyone's replies it seems like the negatives of DDC outweigh the positives. I'll have to think it over some more but I'm leaning towards dropping it.

The car would be mainly used for commuting (it will be my DD) but still autocrossed and tracked occasionally on the weekends. The idea is to have a car that makes commuting fun without sacrificing too much comfort.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.