Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to this forum, never owned a mini and I'm interested in purchasing one, type S or JCW model. I'm not new to wrenching, have built a few cars from ground up, 600+HP daily driver to give you an idea.

I'm debating if i should buy a new one or are they reliable enought to look at used models with low miles may be the way to go instead.

Can you guys tell me what problems or issues I need to look at when inspecting a used Mini? Anything unusual or tribal knowledge is great to know, or common issues with these cars. I'll let the market availability decide if its auto or manual so info on both would be great.

I'm still debating if I want to build it or not. If I do would like to get a 500hp setup for daily driving but from the quick search on the net, it does not appear possible but I could be wrong and that is another topic on its own.

I know the best way to get info is direct from forums and members who love to work on their cars.

Cheers

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can you guys tell me what problems or issues I need to look at when inspecting a used Mini? Anything unusual or tribal knowledge is great to know, or common issues with these cars. I'll let the market availability decide if its auto or manual so info on both would be great.

I'm still debating if I want to build it or not. If I do would like to get a 500hp setup for daily driving but from the quick search on the net, it does not appear possible but I could be wrong and that is another topic on its own.

Cheers
Welcome!

That is some power you got there man. Impressive. I doubt you could get a MINI that high, but hey, anything is possible right? I think the JCW is the most powerful and that somewhere around 200 hp. To me, MINIs are pretty quick and nimble as is (super small and light), especially if you're getting an S or a JCW.

As to new vs used it really is personal preference. There are some subtle differences from the 2015s to the 2016s, but for the most part, they are the same IMO. The beauty of buying a new MINI is that they are super customizable, so you can really get down into the fine details and make the car exactly as you want it. On the other hand you will probably get a better deal on a car that is on the lot, especially as dealers begin to move old stock to make way for the 2016s. Buying used is a good option too. MINI certified pre-owned adds a couple extra years of warranty which is really nice and for whatever reason (especially around here) people tend to trade in often so you can get low-mileage cars at a very good discounted price.

If you poke around the forum a bit you can get a pretty good feel for any of the issues with this generation MINI (we are entering the third year for the third gen hatchback models). The ones I've seen pop up the most are oil filter housing and the AC condensate drainage line. Both of these have had a recall/upgrade/whatever MINI calls it. There was also a recall on replacing the nut on the spare tire. A few people have needed new engines on the S model (there is a recent post about it). The cause seems to be unknown at the moment.

Because this gen is still pretty new, I don't think there is really too much to look for if buying used. The cars shouldn't really be in that bad of shape! You might find the random one that has pre-mature brake wear, or will need tire replacement soon but that is definitely not the norm. All the cars should, I believe, still be under warranty and should have had all preventive maintenance done for free (ie nobody should be skimping on things like oil changes).

If you are looking at previous generation MINIs (2013 and earlier) or a model outside of the F56/F55 then the North American Motoring forums are a good source as they have sub-forums for each generation and model.

There are a ton of super knowledgeable people around here so definitely pick some brains!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, the old saying you have to pay to play always applies when it comes to Reliable high hp setups, so I'm no stranger to spending to get a reliable car. The mini being so small and nimble is one of the reasons I like the car. Everything I have read so far seems like the upgrades are very modest and getting anything over 300hp is a challenge which is not a big deal b/c I might just leave it relatively stock to keep the reliability there.

The new engine on the model S is really good info, I'm curious to see what is causing this as well. If you can post a link to that thread I would appreciate it. With regards to the recalls that is great information for someone like myself to ask if i go the used route.

I'm not settled on which model yet, I want a turbo model for sure vs supercharger, and in the NAM forum a poster said anything over 2011 model and they are more reliable with regards to N18 motor so I'll be looking at 2011 and newer for sure.

I really would like to build a new Coupe model but that is not an option b/c it is discontinued according to my dealer so that is why I'm considering a used model for now. I just need as much info as possible to make an informed decision on issues with these cars.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts