Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hi guys, girls

So i found his on the internet now i know a tuning box or other tuning devices aren't the good way to go. But this device only adapts pressure. Only 3 psi but thats enough to give 210 hp. An all sensors stay the same so the engine can adapt itself. So this seems ok...?

http://www.nm-eng.com/338/0/0/3128/nm648846-nm-eng-power-module.html
I have a similar device in my Countryman now, the Burgertuning JB+, and it is a great bang for the buck mod. A noticeable increase in power and it takes 5 minutes tops to install/uninstall.

Burger Tuning has a version of the JB+ for the F56 that's $20 cheaper, though it is still technically beta and it's not as clean as the NM module. The NM module is pretty new and I haven't seen anyone with one yet, but the dyno charts kind of speak for themselves as far as power increases go.

I plan on putting either the Burger Tuning or NM modules in my F55 when it arrives.

Reactions: MCS535

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you haven't got problems with it? The thing is. I want a bit more power but no chip. Or a tuning box. But a little boost increase wouldn't harm i guess. And this is a good brand then?

Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But i just saw that the burger tuning module uses multiple sensors. Then it gets tricy i guess. And the nm one only adjust boost pressure. So the other sensors can do there work. This seems a safe solution to me. ?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Read up on the JB+ at http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums. Many R5x/R6x owners have used it since it is super easy to install and remove if you're taking it in for service. There's also experiences from F56 owners with the Burger Tuning beta module for the B48 engine as well.

The one I have plugs into the mass air flow sensor.

FWIW, I've had my JB+ on my Countryman for about 2500 miles with no issues, granted the one for the F56 is different - but on mine, no check engine lights, no mechanical issues, just a bigger smile when I hit the gas pedal :)

Reactions: MCS535

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok,

Yes thats the thing i wan't too only mass air , pressure sensor. ill look into this 2 then. If there are more people who have these devices. Let me know.

Thank you sir

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive seen reviews about this looks really good. I like it. I'm trying to get more input.

Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so i did a bit more research. And they all look very good. Give good numbers. But they admit that chiptuning is better and more accurate. If you want a low hp boost torque with no trouble @ the garage. Then this is just the thing you need.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems to be nobody is intrested? Strange i taught this was something people would buy. A bit more power and still your warranty remains. Nobody?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i would love one but my baby is brand new... and i very nervous the long term effects if running this and the possibility of loosing my warranty

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But thats the thing maximus i i'm afraid of this to. But in worst case if you get a fault code. You just remove it and your car is back stock. Nobody will see it was ever there. Also normally it can't go faulty because your ecu doesn't know. This module traps your ecu a bit by increasing boost to 3 psi. Your fuel and so will then be addapted and you get more horses. If you don't like it remove it. But it seems good to me. I will wait due the fact it is still beta.... Will keep an eye on this. Maybe when somebody joins the forum who has this we will have more info.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Maybe when somebody joins the forum who has this we will have more info.
Poke around Northamericanmotoring.com/forums in the F56 section. Several owners have the Burger Tuning module installed in their F56s.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes i know but not f56 i think or not many. I have time too choose. Will be next year untill i get one of these. But still i do like the nm eng too. Hard decision. Maybe i will go for the jcw kit or one of these...

·
Registered
375 Posts
The thing is that the difference in power is neglectible when using these plugin boxes and therefor quite expensive compared to the result. Furthermore they always provide nice dyno charts with the product but what if you put your car on a dyno and perform a test. Will it also be that good? Remember that you get used to everything. After a month you'll still want more :)

I'm sure that these plugin boxes change some settings and parameters but do they deliver what is promised? Ask one of the sellers if you can get a full refund when doing a dyno test yourself and the product is not delivering as promised and you'll be surprised on the reactions.

Second is that the ecu of the car is not stupid and programmed to register events where it is bypassed or overwritten. This will show up when your car is connected to the system at your dealership.

Want to do it right? Forget about your warranty and go for a proper remap of your ecu by a professional chiptuner or continue saving money for a little longer and go for a JCW or the JCW tuning kit.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The thing is that the difference in power is neglectible when using these plugin boxes and therefor quite expensive compared to the result. Furthermore they always provide nice dyno charts with the product but what if you put your car on a dyno and perform a test. Will it also be that good? Remember that you get used to everything. After a month you'll still want more :)

I'm sure that these plugin boxes change some settings and parameters but do they deliver what is promised? Ask one of the sellers if you can get a full refund when doing a dyno test yourself and the product is not delivering as promised and you'll be surprised on the reactions.

Second is that the ecu of the car is not stupid and programmed to register events where it is bypassed or overwritten. This will show up when your car is connected to the system at your dealership.

Want to do it right? Forget about your warranty and go for a proper remap of your ecu by a professional chiptuner or continue saving money for a little longer and go for a JCW or the JCW tuning kit.
You couldn't be more wrong :)

These plugin boxes will easily net a bigger boost than the JCW tuning kit at less than a quarter of the price and significantly less than a full ECU retune, which can usually be undone when your car gets a firmware update. They are the best bang for your buck performance mod. Both the Burger Tuning module and the NM Engineering module will net at least 20-30 hp/lb-ft gains simply by plugging it in. Regarding your statement that eventually you'll want more? OF COURSE! That's what's known as the performance bug :) even with big expensive re-tunes, new turbos, etc. No one who tunes their car ever says, "yep...that's enough" ;)

I've had my NM Engineering module for about 3-4 months now and I've never had an issue with it. I can DEFINITELY feel the extra power and on the HIGH setting, I have to be careful how much gas I give it from a stop or going around corners or my wheels will chirp and lose traction. I've also done a track day with it and had the opportunity to try it with and without it (takes 5 min to install/uninstall) installed and the laps speak for themselves.

Dealers CANNOT tell they were ever plugged in, not that it matters - in the US, warranty law states that these modifications WILL NOT void your warranty unless the module directly damages something and even then, it must be proven. In which case, that problem wouldn't be covered, but anything else not affected by the module would be. For example, if module was shown to damage something on the drivetrain, you'd be on the line for repairs. If your radio stops working the next day, that would still be covered under warranty.

Reactions: Wongwingwai

·
Registered
375 Posts
You couldn't be more wrong :)

These plugin boxes will easily net a bigger boost than the JCW tuning kit at less than a quarter of the price and significantly less than a full ECU retune, which can usually be undone when your car gets a firmware update. They are the best bang for your buck performance mod. Both the Burger Tuning module and the NM Engineering module will net at least 20-30 hp/lb-ft gains simply by plugging it in. Regarding your statement that eventually you'll want more? OF COURSE! That's what's known as the performance bug :) even with big expensive re-tunes, new turbos, etc. No one who tunes their car ever says, "yep...that's enough" ;)

I've had my NM Engineering module for about 3-4 months now and I've never had an issue with it. I can DEFINITELY feel the extra power and on the HIGH setting, I have to be careful how much gas I give it from a stop or going around corners or my wheels will chirp and lose traction. I've also done a track day with it and had the opportunity to try it with and without it (takes 5 min to install/uninstall) installed and the laps speak for themselves.

Dealers CANNOT tell they were ever plugged in, not that it matters - in the US, warranty law states that these modifications WILL NOT void your warranty unless the module directly damages something and even then, it must be proven. In which case, that problem wouldn't be covered, but anything else not affected by the module would be. For example, if module was shown to damage something on the drivetrain, you'd be on the line for repairs. If your radio stops working the next day, that would still be covered under warranty.
Maybe you're right but over here they tend to be a bit more difficult whent it comes to warranties. I'm not that experienced with the whole concept so I base my opinion also on what I was told. A friend with experience with several of these plug in powerboxes and working in the chiptuning industry warned me for promised results. They often do dyno test which show that the promised results are almost never met. You pay for an extra 30hp and in lot of cases you merely get another 5 to 10 hp. The psychological effect has often more impact on the driver's feeling in increase in performance than what tests actually show.

Another thing is that based on the road tax system (not applicable in all countries) wich is based on the power output of the car in Belgium and the fact that if you are in an accident and they discover that you are using a device to increase power output of the vehicle (some sort of powerbox or ecu remap which didn't pass official homologation and shared with authorities so they can increase your fee) the insurance will not cover any damages. The JCW tuning kit is also not officialy performed by MINI because of this regulation. You can however get the JCW exhaust because the increase in power of just that part is neglectible and therefor allowed.

For those reasons I'm a bit cautious to give it a try and maybe to much fact based by input of people who know more about it than I do. So forgive my ignorance and enjoy your powerbox.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts