Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new f56 Cooper S coming in the next 2 weeks. I specced it with roof rails as I want to put bike racks on it. I was hoping to use the whispbar rail bars as they are really low profile and IMO look much more streamlined. Obviously the roof rails are also low profile (unlike other cars that are raised) - does anyone have experience as to whether the panoramic sunroof will have clearance? I've never seen one open.

These are the racks I'm referring to (on a different car with more clearance on the rails)

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know from the Yakima website that they recommend any owners with moon-roof not open them with their Q tower bike rails installed. these are a higher profile than the pic you have displayed. When you get the mini I would recommend that you open the moon-roof and measure the amount of distance from the roof-line to top of moon-roof to see if clearance is sufficient to allow opening with rack installed on top of mini.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree. My previous mini had a moon-roof with Yakima racks and there was barely enough room for it to open without hitting the rack. That's why I didn't get a moon-roof with this Mini. Didn't want to deal with the problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Roof bars

Hi

I'm about to order the 5 door Mini Cooper with the roof prep for the bars. Does anyone know where I can get the bars from? Or how much they are?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm still working on the bars for it. Low profile whispbar rail bars will most definitely NOT fit (even without the sunroof). I have whispbar flush racks from my old mazda which I have hacksawed 110mm off to make them the same width as the rails (you can most likely buy shorter racks, but I already had these). I'm waiting on new fit kit (K665) to arrive at my local supercheap auto shop and will see if it works. The Fit kit is made for Mini Countryman rails so I'm hoping they are the same mount.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, they do make MINI bars, but I think they are ugly! Hence I want to use either thule or Whispbar racks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts