Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering lower my JCW but I have variable dampers fitted, and would like to keep that functionality, so full coil over damper replacement would be out. Does anyone have experience of fitting lowering springs with the variable dampers?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The only place I seen info on this was a BMW forum where someone had done it was either F30 posts as BMW F30 has same type system or the 1/2 series same forum worth a look it was an American guy that had done it and worked fine.
Info is very limited on it though, have a look for info on NAM site

·
Registered
508 Posts
Few guys have done it in the states with nm being the most popular Spring option

So worth a look, not sure what it would cost to import them

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mate did it no problem with the variable dampers on his VW Scirroco R. Shouldn't be a problem on the Mini.

Going to wait for the other side of winter to do anything about it, hopefully enough time for a better selection of lowering spring too...

·
Registered
966 Posts
The only one I've heard of in the UK is this Challenge210 using Eibachs.
I got a price for springs directly from NM Engineering which was really good, but the cost of shipping meant I didn't have enough spare ££££s at that point - it's still on the list to do.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have been in the above car for a short spin with previous owner Kris and the ride was a little firmer and handling has improved with the fitting of the lowering springs.

He did comment that going over pot holes that you feel it more so perhaps the suspension was hitting the bump stops?

I know NM do advise cutting down the bump stops (below link) to help prevent this though so perhaps this can be done with any lowering springs.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-sure-to-cut-your-bump-stops.html#post4226195

·
Registered
303 Posts
Eibachs are available for around £200 from varying sellers and I know Lohen fit them for £125 as I've got my JCW booked in for a few weeks time. I'm aware of a few owners running Eibachs and all seem happy and no reports of excessive crashing.

I have dynamic dampers so I'll report back once they're fitted and I'll also discuss the bumpstop concerns.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I had the NM Springs installed about 2 month ago and the Bumstops have been cut by 1 in. The drop was about 1.1 to cut the gap in the wheel arches so the car just looks better. I also upgraded to 17" wheels. The ride is a bit more bouncy but it will not shake your Martini while driving. The car feels better too me around corners and overall the way it handles the road now. Of Course I also upgraded the OEM Tires with some Yokohama S Drives :D:D BTW no Dampers on my Mini.

The pics below shows the car with NM Springs 17" Rims and Yoko,s

·
Registered
358 Posts
Been looking at this and considering getting the Eibach pro kit for my JCW, at £199 they're not badly priced really, not sure how it affects warranty though, whether they would no longer cover the dampers in the event of a fault or not?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Been looking at this and considering getting the Eibach pro kit for my JCW, at £199 they're not badly priced really, not sure how it affects warranty though, whether they would no longer cover the dampers in the event of a fault or not?
Yes it usually any asociated susoension components which may include dampers, anti roll bar, control arms etc...

It also depends on your dealer how they interprete the fault I suspect.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes it usually any asociated susoension components which may include dampers, anti roll bar, control arms etc...

It also depends on your dealer how they interprete the fault I suspect.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Hmm this puts me off doing it really, can't imagine those dampers are very 'affordable' to replace!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think it's been discussed many times before, if you value 100% piece of mind regarding warranty of any new car, then it's best to stick with standard car or only use offical authorised Mini parts e.g. JCW dealer fit upgrades...

Saying that the JCW Pro suspension upgrade is not available to cars fitted with Variable Damper option hence why I went with KW for my coilovers!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Eibachs are available for around £200 from varying sellers and I know Lohen fit them for £125 as I've got my JCW booked in for a few weeks time. I'm aware of a few owners running Eibachs and all seem happy and no reports of excessive crashing.

I have dynamic dampers so I'll report back once they're fitted and I'll also discuss the bumpstop concerns.
Hey Buz,

It's been a minute but I was wondering if you went ahead with the spacers and lowering springs? If so, did you have to make any adjustments to the dampers? I have a 2017 JCW with the variable dampers and was considering doing the same. Would be great to know what your experience was like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts